Chapter 39

They stayed up till 3 in the morning, everyone gathering in Sonia's room, discussing and planning the event. The very next morning, Sonia - dressed in her jeans and a plaid shirt - was up at 7.

Sipping on a huge mug of strong milk tea, she made her way to the ballroom, a maid accompanying her.

She opened the room and was greeted by a large dust filled elaborate space.

"Let's get started," she mumbled, handling over the mug and tied her hair up.

***
Ian frowned as he entered Jake's room and found him sleeping. Marching over, he shook him roughly.

Jake woke up with a start, "Jeez, Ian! What's your problem?" He grumbled as Ian pulled away his covers.

"I can't find Sonia. Not in her room too."

Jake sat up and rubbed his eyes, "Relax man. She is not a kid. Must be strolling around," Jake answered getting up and putting on a t-shirt over his sweat pants.

"Where could she be? We have so much work to do and just a few days left," Ian threw up his hands.

Jake opened his mouth but was interrupted by a knock on the door. They both turned to see a maid standing there.

"Miss Sonia asked you all to meet her in the ballroom."

"What's she doing there?" Ian asked.

"Come on, we'll see that for ourselves," Jake urged him out and together they rushed down the corridor, texting Gage, Emm and Dim on their way down.

Turning right from the base of the steps, they passed through a little passage before reaching the door.

They stepped in the door and stopped.

Sonia was on her hands and knees, cleaning the dirty floor, a damp rag in her hand, a bucket of soapy water by her side.

She looked up at the noise, her lips curving up as she noticed them.

"I couldn't wait to get started," she shrugged, a lock of hair escaping the bun she had tied on the top of her head.

She is so beautiful, the voice in Ian's head murmured and he nodded in agreement.

"Did you eat?" Jake asked walking in a few steps into the room.

Sonia shrugged again, going back to her mopping, "You guys come back here when ready.”

Jake shook his head but did as was told. Sonia smiled, humming as she went back to her work.

***
As expected, the five were back in less than half an hour.

Sonia bit her cheek seeing them ready in their shorts and t-shirts.

"Remove the shoes by the door. The floor is almost done here," Sonia grabbed the bucket and walked away to change the muddy water. When she came back, the boys were in the middle of the room, waiting for instructions.

Sonia put the bucket down, "Okay. So, we'll need ladders. And these curtains have to be taken off. Emm," she turned to him, "You and Dim. Can you both help in moving aside the furniture?"

Emm nodded and together with Dim, got to work, "Where do you want this?"

"Just push everything over in the middle. I'll dust it off then cover it and after the walls and corners are done, you'll have to move it all back to their places," Sonia explained as she shuffled around from one place to another.

"Jake, as soon as Bruce brings in the ladders, I need you to get down those curtains so they can be sent for wash. And-"

"Who's Bruce?" Ian asked interrupting her.

"The one who sees to the castle gardens' maintenance," she answered.

"You know the help by first names?" James asked.

Sonia rolled her eyes, "Yes. I do. Now can we get back to work?"

On Jake's nod, she continued, "Ian, you and Gage will have to take over the outside chores. You both go and get the things we'll need."

"That's the easiest," Gage highfived Ian.

"And after you get back, you help us here," Sonia smiled sweetly at them.

Their grin vanished as they both grumbled on their way out.

"I'll send you the list," she called out, pulling out her phone.

Turning back to the other three, she answered their grin with one of her's, "Let's start, shall we?"

***
"I am hungry," Jake threw away the rag, as he sat down on the floor with a huff.

Sonia looked down from her position on the ladder where she was dusting the higher corners, "Oh my!" She gushed, her eyes widening, "Jake. You can go, eat. You do not have to wait for my permission, silly."

Jake smiled before getting up and rushing away.

"We'll also go, grab something," Dim mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck, "You want anything?"

Sonia shrugged, "Sure."

As they left, Sonia climbed down the ladder and stretched, groaning at the strain in her muscles.

She walked out of the freshly washed French doors and to the balcony, the sweet smell of the flowers drifting over the breeze to her. The light had dimmed, making the shadows grow longer.

Sonia looked into the darkness of the woods, feeling a different sense of being wash over her.

Her brows furrowed as she peered into the darkness, unable to shake off the feeling.

"Must be the work," she shook her head as she turned around, "I should probably take a break," she mumbled and walked back into the room.

Already feeling exhausted, her fingertips tingling strangely, she slumped down on the lounger chair and closed her eyes.

It was Ian who woke her up, sitting across from her holding a tray.

"You forgot to eat again," he scolded as Sonia sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"I just thought to take a nap until the others arrived," she pouted and took a roll from the dish, "God, I'm starving!"

Ian's lips curved up as he watched her take a bite, "We'll continue tomorrow. A lot has been done today."

Sonia nodded her head, chewing down quickly, "This room will be completely done by tomorrow afternoon," she buttered a toast and offered it to Ian, "Did you get all the things?"

Ian cocked his head, "Of course I did."

Sonia smiled, "Nice. So once this room is done, it's your job to keep it safe and secured till the party. The elders must not see it before that."

"What about food?"

Sonia chuckled, "I got Aunt Kathy to make me a list. I handed it over to Mrs. Wendy. She'll take care of the preparations."

Ian's eyes widened, "Mrs. Wendy? Our cook? How did you get introduced to her?"

Sonia shrugged, "The kitchen is always bustling with activities. But if you go there for a cup of milk after dinner rush, everyone sits down for a little talk."

Ian's grinned, "You do have a way of connecting with people, sugar."

They both laughed, as they shared the meal while the shadows lengthened outside.

***
Sonia dragged herself to the garden. The ballroom was done and the boys were currently seeing to other small things.

Jake was handling the dining room arrangements, Ian was out to see to the cake delivery and tailoring jobs, Emm became the head of the management party, taking over the role of a supervisor, while Dim took the invitation task.

Gage took the most difficult task of staying out of way. He holed up in the kitchen, tasting and approving the dishes that were being prepared.

Sonia took this little time frame to relax in the garden. As she sat down on the freshly trimmed grass, the breeze caressing her face, she ticked through her mental list of chores. Her eyes fell on the swing and she cocked her head.

Getting up, she rushed to the shed and searched for a sturdy rope and a knife. She walked back to the swing and began tugging at the knots to open them.
Grunting and huffing, she managed to untie one. She bit her lip as the rope bit in the skin of her palms. Shaking her head, she put her back into the work.

"You must use that knife," Sonia jumped, a yelp escaping her lips as she turned around.

Conor stood there calmly watching her.

Sonia shook her head, "Gage said he would change these old ropes. I thought to do it for him."

Conor hummed and walked ahead to help her. He pulled the old rope and with a quick tug, it snapped, a little dust flying at the break. With little effort, he swung the new rope and within a few minutes, the work was done.

"Thank you," Sonia smiled.

Conor looked at her and nodded. Quietly, he took hold of her hands and took a look at her palms, "You hurt yourself."

"You hurt yourself." Sonia remembered Ian's same words. The same intensity. The same guilt in the voice.

"It's okay," she gulped, "Just little scratches."

Conor shook his head and still holding her hand walked to the ballroom's gallery. They both settled down on the steps.

"You're overworking yourself," he mumbled, refusing to let go of her hands.

Sonia felt the warmth of his hands as she looked at his profile.

He looks like a mixture a both Dim and Ian.

"It's important to think about yourself, too," he continued, his thumb rubbing circles on the back of her hand.

Conor turned to look at her, "You're good at heart," he smiled, "I'm so glad to have you in my family."

Smiling softly, he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and slung his arm over her shoulders, pulling her closer to him, "So glad to finally have a daughter."

Sonia closed her eyes, "Me too, Papa."

***
That night Sonia tossed and turned in her bed. Huffing, she kicked away the covers and got up from the bed. She walked over to the window and leaned against the side frame.

The deep blue sky, twinkling with stars did not attract her attention as much as the dark woods did. She sighed as she watched the tree tops gently sway with the night breeze. A movement caught her eyes and she peered closely. It was the swing, moving due to the wind.

Making up her mind, she quickly grabbed her slippers before rushing out of the room. Going barefoot, the flip-flop each in one hand, she climbed down the steps and reached the kitchen. Grabbing a granola bar on her way, she walked out of the manor through the kitchen doors.

Putting on the footwear, she ran around the corner and reached the backside. Sonia climbed the wooden swing and giving a quick kick, fell in rhythm. Soon enough, she had the swing soaring back and forth high into the air. A giggle escaped her lips at the tingling sensation in her tummy.

She caught a movement from the corner of her eyes and put her feet down, dragging the swing to a stop.

Breath hitching in her throat, she looked wide eyed as the dark figure slowly stalked from the tree line and towards the swing.

Sonia felt her heart beats increase, her blood run cold and fear grip her muscles.

The big, black wolf stood mid-stance, watching her with its dark eyes.

Sonia gulped, "I shouldn't have come down," she mumbled.

The wolf moved its head as if nodding in agreement.

"Please don't get angry," she said quietly, "I mean you no harm."

The beast moved towards her slowly. Sonia stayed seated on the swing, gripping the ropes tightly.

"You are not going to eat me, are you?" She asked as it took another step near her.

"Here. You can have this," with shaky hands, she opened the granola bar's wrapper and extended it towards the animal.

It looked at the bar before sniffing it. Sonia watched dumbfounded as the wolf ate the bar from her hand. It finished the thing and licked her hand making her jerk her hand back. Sonia jumped up and it growled lowly.

"Okay okay. I'm not moving. Don't be angry," she quickly sat back down on the swing.

The wolf moved near her. It sniffed her legs before getting closer. Making a noise as if satisfied, it settled down by her legs and put its head down on its paws.

Sonia looked at the animal watching her with silent eyes.

"Can I please go?" She whispered.

It raised its head, then put it back down.

Sonia understood its meaning and slowly got up.

"Thank you," she crept away from the beast, before rushing away quickly. Sonia reached her room breathing heavily.

Walking to the window, she looked down. There it was, the wolf, still sitting where it originally sat, looking up directly at her window.

"Good night, wolfy," Sonia whispered and again it moved its head, in its way of nodding.

Ruffled to her core, fingertips tingling in a strange way, she went back to her bed, deciding not to venture out alone again as darkness consumed her thoughts.