Chapter 34

Sonia frowned at the ground. Just previous evening she was there, at this exact spot. Yet it looked nothing like the day before.

She looked up and was confirmed that it indeed was the same spot. The same old oak stood there with its old gnarled roots emerging from the ground, creating an enclosed space, wherein she had sat the night before, feeling as if she was home.

She took another step and was right at the spot she had sat the day ago. Turning around in a half circle, she whispered, "How the hell did this happen in a day?"

Surrounding her, and the tree, for as wide a circle as nearly a few yards, where there was nothing but dirt and rocks and grass, the ground was covered in pure white flowers, blooming wildly.

Sonia could only gawk in disbelief as the dainty things shone in the light of the setting sun like some out worldly beauty.

Unable to resist himself, Ian took out his phone and clicked a couple of pictures of Sonia, in the centre of the sea of flowers. He looked down at the photo and smiled to himself.

The sky dispersing a flush of colours, making the trees and the surroundings glow up differently. The picture - a magical surrounding blooming with all possible colours, a pure white field of flowers, and in it’s heart an equally enthralling beauty. Ian felt proud of the click. He now had a proof to show the others back home that she was alright. Hitting the send button, he pocketed the phone.

"I can see why you like it here," he said as he stepped out from behind the tree, making her jump.

"Ian!" She exclaimed, a hand over her chest, "Why do you always have to sneak up on me like that?"

He shrugged, "You scared everyone when you ran off like that."

Sonia took a deep breath and looked away.

Ian huffed and came over to stand beside her. Side by side, they watched the stream flow by. The sun, being done with his work for the day, was now headed to his home behind the hills, painting the sky in vibrant shades of oranges and reds.

The chirping of birds and the soothing music of the flowing stream made it the most relaxing place to be ever.

Ian turned his head and looked at her. The wind blowing her tresses wild, a few locks teasing her face, and the way she would ever so gently tuck it behind her ear, for it to be let loose again.

"Why?" He whispered.

The calm expression on her face slowly faded as her brows steepled in confusion and she turned to look at him.

"Why not say anything? Why not correct me? Why did you not shout at me for the things I said, for the way I behaved?" He asked, the rage within him rising with each word.

"'cause it is your birthday," she shrugged.

Ian's fists clenched by his sides, "That's not reason enough," he spewed.

Sonia let out a sigh and turned to him, "You said what you had to say. Cleared things up for me."

Ian's breath hitched in his throat as her words registered in his mind. Does this mean she will never forgive me? Is she over me? Will we never be able to- but even his thoughts were cut short when the sunrays hit her face.

It glowed up like a light on Christmas eve. Ian could only watch, as the rays played with her eyes.

Somewhere, deep down, every being believes in magic. But Ian's belief was cemented strong from that very moment.

For there was magic. Magic in the way her eyes shone. For how was it possible for simple brown eyes to be ever so tantalizing? But her's were.

They shone like melted gold mixed with honey so pure. The flecks of gold so mesmerizing, that no beauty could compare to it, the honey pools so deep, no ocean held more depth.

Ian felt at that exact moment what it was like to lose oneself in someone's eyes, for he felt himself sliding down those wonders of her.

The warmth it excluded when she was happy, the fire it burnt with when she was riled, it drew him in. And he knew, just like that, those eyes, no matter how many times looked away from him, would never ever turn cold for him, or for anyone.

Ian opened his mouth, fully intending to continue with his apology.

"You're so beautiful," was what came out instead in a soft whisper.

"What?" She asked, turning to face him fully, and just like that the angle of sunlight changed and the spell was broken.

"Err, the cake? The cake you made," he gestured to her, "it was beautiful," he finished, looking away.

Sonia frowned, "I thought you were the one to appreciate what's inside."

Ian choked on his breath, "Yeah. That. And it looked nice too."

Sonia nodded, "Jake decorated it, not me."

"Shit," he mumbled.

"Huh?"

"Ah, I didn’t know you could trust Jake with such decisions."

"You can," she replied, a smile gracing her features.

"He loves you, you know," he said quietly.

Sonia looked at him before quickly looking away.

Ian took in a breath, "This is my first birthday being so alone."

Sonia looked at him questioningly.

He merely shrugged a shoulder, "They haven't talked to me," he threw up his hands, "I know I messed up, but I really am sorry for that," he raked a hand through his hair, "Seeing that bastard touch you was the last thing needed to break all restraints and I-"

"And you got angry," Sonia interrupted, her face turned towards the almost set sun, "But do you know the best thing about anger? It makes a person speak the truth. And-" she broke off, taking a shaky breath.

"Sonia, that's not true. You know I never meant-"

"There was a time when I used to think of such words as nothing but futile emotions. But over the years, it slowly registered that those words were what everybody felt," she turned to him and shook her head when he opened his mouth to speak.

"It never bothered me. None of those words ever had the strength to make me feel weak. It was because those people never meant anything to me."

Ian could feel his heart rate increase. He knew what she was about to say and so desperately wanted to stop the words from coming out of her mouth, but the pain in her eyes had him frozen.

She shrugged one dainty shoulder, her arms wrapped around her as if she was protecting herself from him.

"It sure does break ones heart when the people you love treat you like dirt."

She loves me? She loves me! I'm loved, his heart shouted but his mind refused to take it in.

Sonia shook her head as she watched a bird fly over and settle into its nest for the night on one of oak's branches, chirping happily for finally being at home.

She smiled at its happiness, a lone tear sliding smoothly down her cheek, "But I forget I don't-" Ian heard the crack in her voice and felt the familiar pain in his chest again, "I don't, I don't have a home," she whispered, barely holding it together, "I don't belo -"

Ian didn't let her finish. Grabbing her arm, he pulled her in close and engulfed her in his arms, a low growl vibrating from deep in his chest as he buried his face in her hair.

"You belong," he muttered, tightening his arms around her, basking in her familiar scent. Taking a deep breath he tried to calm himself down.

She was here, with him, safe in his arms.

"You have a home," reluctantly, he pulled back, "We all, Jake, Gage, Emm, Dim, we understood what a home actually meant because of you. Mom and Aunts got a daughter to love. Dad and Uncles to spoil. You filled in a missing spot, we didn't even know about," he cupped her cheek and lightly brushed away a tear from under her eye with his thumb, "Don't blame them for my mistakes. They love you more than you love them."

Sonia pulled away from him and took a couple of steps away, leaning against the tree. The rough bark soothing her somehow.

"Let's go back," Ian whispered, holding out his hand for her to take.

Sonia shook her head, "I'll be back in a while," and without waiting for his reply, she slid down to the ground and sat there, looking at the stream flowing away.

Ian took in a deep breath, "You promise?"

She simply nodded her head, not turning to look at him.

Ian sighed, shuffling his feet as he dragged himself away. Forcing himself to give her the space she needed.

Turning to look at her once again, he clenched his jaw before walking away.

The figure crept back in the obsidian shadows of the foliage, hiding itself from view. It narrowed its eyes and bared its teeth at Ian as he walked past it, not even noticing it. Once he was gone, it turned and stealthily crept towards Sonia's silent form. Silently it walked up to the outer edge of the flowers and crouched down on the ground, not entering the white circle.

It stayed there, keeping a vigilant eye on the girl before him. A whimper escaped its mouth as a tear began to roll down her cheek.

It watched, as she wiped the tear off and nodded her head, as if agreeing with a decision.

She got up and dusting her pants, turned around and walked away, never once noticing the figure nor the silent eyes that followed her all the way home.

                            *****
Hey guys,
As promised here is another chapter. The next one will also be up soon.
Happy reading:)
Keep voting, commenting and sharing:)

Till we meet again:)