Chapter 18

Sonia was shocked. They wished to take her to a club party and hadn't even thought it fair to tell her. She had to get ready!

  And she had absolutely no idea what to wear to a club.

  Dropping off her and Ian, at nearly 4:45 Gage had very clearly stated that she was to be ready by 6:00. How can a girl be ready for something she never knew firsthand in such a short notice.

  As she entered the house, trailing after Ian she thought about it over and over in her head.

I should get a shower first, she thought, yes! A shower was definitely the first thing to do.

  She left Ian alone to rummage in the kitchen as she dashed up the stairs and to her room to get her toiletries.

  Thirty minutes later, she hurried out of the bathroom. She burst into her room and grabbed her phone from the bed to check the time.

"I shouldn't have taken so long in the damn shower." She mumbled as she began searching for clothes to wear. Slipping on a faded grey t-shirt and pyjamas, she plopped down on the floor in front of her closet, its doors wide open.

  After a few minutes, deciding to get help, she took out her phone to call Jess. But her phone battery was dead. Damn, she smacked her hand on her forehead, what to do now? she stressed.

  Finally, she got up and marched out and down the stairs to find Ian. Unable to trace him downstairs, she came back up and knocked on his bedroom door. When he opened the door, she merely grabbed his hand and saying nothing, pulled him after her in the direction of her room.

She took him to face her closet and let out a heavy breath.

"What do I wear to a club?"

  He turned to look at her and then back at the mini store of clothes in her closet. Surely, "clothes" was not the right answer, he thought, so was "anything you like". Gulping down at the huge options to choose from, he stammered, "Err, Sonia, how would I know?" he shrugged his shoulders sheepishly.

  Sonia looked at him, "Please Ian."

"Okay okay," he turned back to the closet and began scratching his chin with his right hand, his left resting on his hip.

"Okay, wear this and this jeans," he pointed out a white shirt and a pair of faded blue denims.

"This?" she asked with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

Ian merely shrugged at that "Yeah. There is a bit of change in the plans. We are actually just going to show you around some places." he raked a hand through his hair, "And you look good in those jeans," he mumbled looking anywhere but at her.

  Sonia's eyebrows shot up high at that. When he didn't get a snarky comment back, he looked up at her and noticed her expression.

"Come on!" he threw up his hands, "it’s not a big deal.”

"You notice me! Wow. Thanks, Your Majesty." She curtsied, trying hard to hide her smile.

"Cut it out," he gritted and Sonia broke into a laugh.

"Okay so what about the club?" she asked. He leaned against the doorframe of the closet, "Tomorrow," he answered watching her as she gathered the jeans and shirt.

  She nodded, "Okay. So where are we going exactly?"

Ian straightened up, "That's the surprise," he said and turned around to leave the room, "Wear your sturdy shoes," he said over his shoulder.

Sonia stood where she was, watching him go. Then shaking her head in defeat, she looked down at the clothes in her hands.

How can a girl be ready in such a short notice, she huffed hurrying up.

Sonia was tying the lace of her sturdy boots when Jake barged in her room. She jumped up, then settled back down on the bed on seeing him, bending down to her shoes again.

"You ready?" Jake asked.

  Sonia looked at him from her position then finished her job. Giving the laces a nod of approval, she looked at him and smiled sweetly, "No." She got up and sailed past him to her study table.

"What? Everyone is waiting. You ARE ready!" he frowned at her.

  Sonia took her phone, her wallet - checking it for her credit card and sufficient cash - then stuffed them into her pockets. She then much to Jake's chagrin, strolled over to her closet and took out a pair of glares. Perking it over the top of her head, she turned to him, "NOW, I am ready," she smirked.

  "Thank goodness," Jake muttered and grabbed her hand pulling her with him as he went for the door. Sonia just barely managed to catch her glasses as they slipped off her head due to the sudden jerk.

***
Sonia was really enjoying the day. The boys were showing her all around the town. To top the fun they were having, it was a very beautiful day. They were strolling down the streets in their glory, pointing out this and that, helping her to know the town better.

  As they turned around another corner, Gage pointed out an ice-cream parlour and insisted on giving a treat. Everyone started to cross the street and just then, Sonia's phone rang. She frowned ad she looked down at her phone. It was an unknown number. Sonia shrugged and tapped the answer icon. She was about to answer, when Ian grabbed her hand pulling her forward. A gasp escaped her as she collided into his chest just as a car whizzed by honking loudly.

  "For God's sake girl, you were almost run over by that car!" He exclaimed, frowning at her. Sonia looked up at him with wide eyes, too shocked to say anything. Noticing this, Ian took in a breath, reeling in his temper, "Are you alright?" He asked.

  She nodded, still unable to speak.

"You could have answered your phone later," his gaze swept down to the phone she was holding. She looked down too, moving away from Ian and quickly put it near her ear.

"Hello!" There was no answer. Frowning, she looked at the screen. The call was ongoing.

"Hello! Who's there?" Still she got no answer. Just as she was about to pull the phone away, the person on the line exhaled loudly and the line went dead. Confused, she stared at the phone when Ian asked, "Any problem?"

  She shook her head, smiling at him as she pocketed the phone back, "Ah, nope. Nothing. Let's go!"

     Sonia loved ice cream. Well, who doesn't? But she just loved it. And the cone currently in her hand was simply a piece of heaven. She licked the cream again, and closing her eyes let out a soft moan at the wonderful taste.

  Someone chuckled and her eyes flew open. She felt blood rising to her face as Dim stood before her, grinning hugely. Quickly, she dipped her face down trying best to hide the mortification she felt. She had thought the boys were a little ahead of her and was lost in her ice cream sensation.

"You love ice cream." Dim stated. She looked up at that. His eyes still held that glint of laughter but his voice was steady.

"Umm, yeah," she nodded.

  Dim simply smiled and quickly turned around to stand beside her and flung his arm around her shoulder, "Me too!" He whispered. Instantly, she relaxed, smiling back goofily at him.

They continued, walking together. As they passed by thrift stores and repair shops, Sonia stopped suddenly in her tracks causing Dim to stop too.

"Oh my," she exclaimed, her eyes going huge and her mouth hanging open. Dim frowned at her and then followed her gaze to what she was so awestruck by.

  There was, in a second hand repair shop, just by the window a Harley Davidson.

  Dim too stared at it for a few heartbeats, then looked back at Sonia to find her still in the same pose. He smiled, "Beautiful, isn't she?"

  She blinked back. "No," she whispered and ran to the store, placing both her hands on the glass of the window and pressing her face to look clearly, "She's gorgeous. Just awesome."

  Dim laughed at her perplexed state and grabbing her hand puller her with him as he entered the store, "Then we must have a proper look at it."

  Once inside, they both had a very proper look at the two-wheeler.

"You want her?" Dim asked as he stood scratching his chin, looking at the vehicle.

Sonia looked at him wide eyed at the prospect, "Err. I won't be able to dicker properly." She reasoned.

Dim simply waved it away, "Let me handle that."

Ten minutes later, they both emerged from the shop, Sonia stuffing the receipt and her wallet into her pockets. Dim had managed to bring back the price to a reasonable amount and made her a good deal for her. Surprisingly for her, the shop owner was someone he knew very well and the very good man had even gifted her a free helmet - of her choice- to go with it. Dim had even promised her to mend over a few things once the bike was delivered the very next day.

  "Happy?" Dim asked smiling down at her and resuming their previous pose by throwing his arm around her shoulders.

  She laughed and turning around, hugged him, "Even I don't know how happy I am," she said and released him, "Thank You, Dim," she rose on her toes and kissed him on the cheek.

  Dim grinned at that and flicked a loose tendril behind her ear, "My pleasure," he winked taking her hand as he started walking again, "Now we must hurry. Others will be waiting for us."

***
  The others were really waiting. Actually, it was more like they were sunbathing on the two benches in the park, and immediately bombarded with questions. But Dim and Sonia decided not to tell them what they were really up to and talked them out of it with other vindications and were again on their trip.

   Soon enough, they reached the outskirts of the woods. Sonia knit her eyebrows at the guys' backs.

"Where are we going?" She asked.

Everyone turned around to look at her but no one answered. She scoffed at them and continued to trudge behind them.

  Ten minutes of tiring walk later, Sonia was unable to keep up with the easy fluid gate of them. Groaning out, she sat down on a fallen log.

"I am tired. Please, let's take a break."

  The whole of them started protesting. Sonia shook her head and waved her hand no, "Please guys. I am totally out of battery here."

Jake came forward and crouched down in front of her, "We are about to reach there. Just a few more minutes. Come on, you can handle that!"

  "Or I can pick you up," Emm offered coming forward.

  Immediately, Sonia put both her hands in front of her, stopping him, "No. I can walk."

  And, so they continued again. The next few minutes felt like hours and just as Sonia was about to give up again, Gage covered her eyes.

  "Okay. It is a surprise. I am just going to-" he picked her up and threw her over his shoulders, "- lift you up from here," he finished just as Sonia let out a surprised cry.

"Gage, put me down. What are you doing?" She tried to get away but he had a firm grip on her.

"Easy baby," he drawled, "Just a minute more."

She opened her mouth to voice her disapproval when Ian spoke, "The blindfolding option was much better."

  Sonia looked up at him from her position, wide eyed, "Wha -"

  "Yes. But I like this one way more. It's fun, brother," Gage sassed.

Ian growled at him and Sonia could do nothing but to watch the animalistic expression on his face while bouncing on Gage's shoulder. Ian's eyes met hers and she quickly ducked her head down unable to meet the mad fury dancing in his gaze.

  A few humiliating moments later, Gage stopped and put her down. Immediately, she pulled her hand back and punched him in his stomach. He took it but it seemed to hurt her more than him. He smiled at her glaring face, as she rubbed her throbbing hand and placing his hands on her shoulders, simply turned her around.

  Sonia was about to push him away when she stopped mid stance.

  This is happening a lot to me, she thought somewhere in the back of her mind as the view in front of her stole her breath.

  It was a huge clearing in the middle of the forest, with flowers surrounding the perimeter. Sonia took a step forward, taking in everything around her. Everything was green. And the flowers acted as spots of colour against the velvety background. She turned around and saw a wide circle made by stones. She began walking towards it, and then heard a faint noise. Angling her head to hear better, Sonia listened for a moment and then turned to the boys questioningly. They were silently watching her, standing near the edge of the clearing and nodded their heads in unison at her unasked question.

  Unable to believe it, Sonia quickly turned and ran in the direction of the sound, her heart beating wildly at the excitement.

  A little distance away, hidden behind a layer of trees and a few big boulders, was a little stream. Sonia couldn't stop herself as she went near it and bending down scooped the flowing water in her hands. She giggled as she splashed the water on her face. Then she laughed some more and soon enough she was playing with the water giggling like a five year old. Remembering her troop, she got up and ran back.

  She reached them just as they finished setting up a little picnic. A few chequered blankets were spread on the grass and a couple of baskets were near it. Gage was sprawled on one, munching on chips from a huge packet, his head resting on his arm as he gazed up at the sky. Jake was arranging the contents of the basket on the blanket while Emm was directing him. Dim was about to join Gage. He was taking off his shoes when he spotted her and called out, "Hey, come on right up. We are hungry."

  At this, everyone's attention turned to her. Ian stopped his roaming around and walked back towards her, a big smile on his face, "Did you like it sugar?"

   Instead of getting riled up, as he had expected, Sonia beamed at him, "Very much," she laughed as she skipped over to others and sat down. Ian smiled as he took the place beside her.

***
   They had all eaten their full and Sonia was packing back the leftovers when she remembered that neither of them had any of this stuff with them.

  "Hey," she turned to the boys scattered around her, "When did you get all this stuff here?"

  Everyone instantly stiffened. She could feel the air getting heavy with tension by the looks exchanged.

  Ian got up from his lying down position, "You liked the arrangement?" At Sonia's nod, he continued, "Then simply enjoy it. Why worry about how it was done?"

At his blatant tone, Sonia's face fell. Quickly, she continued to pack the rest of the things and before the silence could be broken, she got up.

  "I think I will just go back to the stream for a while if that's alright." They all nodded and shrugged. She tried to smile but was able to muster up a tight-lipped curve, "Thanks. Just give me a shout when we are ready to leave." She added and without making eye contact quickly turned around and left them.

Reaching the stream, she got out of her shoes and socks and rolled up her jeans. Then going over to the edge, she propped herself on a smooth rock, her feet submerged in the soothing water. Closing her eyes, she tried to lift her mood up. After a few heartbeats, she opened her eyes and began observing her surroundings.

"Such a beautiful place," she murmured, sighing softly. A bird flew down and settled on a nearby tree branch. It began chirping merrily. Sonia smiled at the sound and relaxed back, dangling her feet in the water. She felt like she could just stay there forever and ever. So contented was she that she nearly missed Emm's shout to her. When the sound came again, a little more loudly, she heard it and realised it was time to leave. She was grateful that he had respected her need to be alone for a while and had not come barging over.

  Sighing again, she got up and picked up her shoes. She began walking away. A few steps away, she stopped and turned back. Taking out her phone, she clicked a picture of the scene. Looking at it, and smiling at the serenity, she began walking back. She reached the clearing and noticed the boys were all ready.

  She put a smile on her face and quickly sat down to put her shoes on, "Sorry. Need just a minute."

  Jake walked over and stood near her. She felt as if he was protecting her. Getting up, she dusted off her pants, "Let's go!"

  All the others turned around, getting the baskets, and began walking. Suddenly Sonia stopped and grabbed Jake's arm, "Hey, I want to have a look at that," she pointed to the stone circle.

"Now?"

"Yeah. I just want to touch those stones. Please!"

  Jake nodded and led her to the circle. Sonia bent down and skimmed her fingers over one, "Whoa, it's warm," she said as she pulled her hand back.

"What?" Not believing her, Jake crouched beside her and touched the same stone, "No, it’s not."

Frowning, Sonia touched it again with other hand, "It is," she took hold of his hand and placed it on the rock, "See!"

  Jake's eyes widened. He could have sworn the rock was cool a moment ago. Sonia got up, his hand losing touch with her's.

"Told ya," she quipped, shrugging her shoulders.

But Jake's hand was still on the stone. His eyes became huge and he was unable to fathom it. The rock was cool again.

"Let's go," Sonia said and tapped on his shoulder twice.

  Astonishingly, the temperature of the stone flared as soon as Sonia's hand touched him, then cooled off and then surged up again. Breathless, Jake fell backwards.

  Sonia rushed to him, "Hey, what happened?" When he still continued to stare wide eyed at the stones, Sonia grabbed hold of his face, "Jake! Are you alright?" His gaze snapped between her and the circle.

"Jake! Jake!" Sonia shook him.

Jake closed his eyes and let out a breath. Sonia hugged him. "I am alright, angel," he hugged her back. When he felt her shake on a sob, he pulled back, "Hey. Stop that, love. I am alright, see!" He framed her face in his hands, "Stop crying, sweetie."

"I thought something happened to you." Jake frowned but she continued, "Your, your eyes turned black. I got afraid. I don't know what happened but I am sorry Jake," she hugged him back. Jake frowned at the rocks over her back. She pulled away from him, "Come On. We must go," getting up, she pulled at his arm. Jake compiled and they walked together.

They had just stepped over the edge of the clearing when the other four came running back towards them.

  "Quick! Get her near the circle," Dim shouted. Sonia was unable to say anything as Ian picked her up and ran back to the circle.

  "No. Those stones are bad. Ian wait," she struggled in his grip. Ian reached the circle and put her down. She clung to him not wanting to touch the stones. They remained near the outer border.

  She looked up at Ian. His attention was in the direction they had come from. He was however, holding her close to him.

"What's happening?"

Ian turned to look at her. Sonia gasped as she saw his black eyes, "I need to protect you."

  Sonia frowned, "What from?"

  Ian leaned in a bit closer and shook his head, looking straight in her eyes, "They will hurt you. I told you to stay clear from that Eric."

Sonia opened her mouth but his grip tightened on her shutting her off. A couple of seconds later a loud howl pierced the air from the woods, followed by daunting howls and she felt as if hell had broke loose.

                             *****
How are you guys?
I intended to publish this yesterday but forgot as it was my birthday, then was so tired that I fell asleep as soon as I saw the bed.

Anyways, so tell me how you feel about this chapter. Also I am working on next and it will be up soon.

Though, I can't promise as I have my exams coming up so will try to update if possible.

Pray for me please🙏🙏

Also keep voting, commenting and sharing.

Till we meet again :) :)