Chapter 38

Sonia loved the room. The walls were covered in soft green wallpaper. A closet door stood next to the door. A little dresser and bed occupied the space near it's adjacent wall. The bathroom on the opposite side of the bed. The windows covered the wall opposite the door. And as such, the beautiful scene could be seen from any part of the room, but Sonia loved the bed. The comfort it provided was enough to tempt her to lie down for a quick nap.

Just as she was about to drop down on the bed, a knock sounded on the door before Ian peeked in.

"You ready to head down?" He asked.

Sonia looked down at her maroon cashmere sweater and comfy jeans, "Do I look ready?"

Ian shrugged, "What else do you plan to wear? A twenty yard silk dress for grabbing food?"

Sonia smiled, "Let's head down then."

They walked out and reached the steps. Ian began descending down. He had climbed down a few steps when Sonia shouted from behind.

"Ian step aside!"

He just had the time to move away before she whizzed past him. Ian watched dumbfounded, as a laughing Sonia sitting one sided, slid down the banister all the way down.

Eyes wide, he rushed to the side and leaned over.

"Don't fall, don't fall, don't fall," he murmured as she neared the end of her slide.

Ian watched as Emm, who was standing just near the stairs talking on his cell phone, turned and saw her.

It was just a fraction of a second but for Ian, everything happened in slow motion.

Emm's eyes widened as he stuffed the phone in his pocket, his other hand outstretched as he leaped towards the banister.

Sonia slid down and was caught right in Emm's arm, both twirling around due to the impact.
"Strongest bastard," Ian grumbled watching Emm hold her with just one arm, the other one still busy stuffing the phone in the pocket.

Her laughter was still ringing in the air when Ian jumped down the last couple of stairs.

"Are you out of your mind?" He asked pulling her away from Emm's arms and checking for injuries.

"It was fun," she beamed, "You guys must definitely try it."

Ian shook his head and looked at Emm who was grinning despite himself.

"Yeah. We'll schedule that later someday. Right now, I'm hungry."

Sonia smiled as she was escorted through the living room and to a huge dining room.

"This is truly a castle," she murmured making both Emm and Ian chuckle.

A long, long dining table occupied the length of the room. Polished dark wood gleamed off the surfaces. A beautiful, hand crocheted tablecloth was laid over right in the middle, running the length of the table.

A dozen or so cushion seated mahogany wooden chairs were arranged around the table. Vintage glass chandeliers hung from the ceiling over the table.

"I can't believe my eyes," Sonia's voice was filled with awe.

"Wait till you see the ballroom," Ian smiled.

"BALLROOM?" Sonia's eyes widened.

Emm chuckled, "Every castle has a ballroom."

Sonia's mouth stayed open as she tried to process on the information.

"Children, come. The food is getting cold," Aisling called out drawing their attention.

They shuffled ahead and took their seats, Sonia settling between Jake and Ian as Emm took the one next to Ian.

Gage winked at her from the seat across her making her bite her cheek to keep in the grin.

Shaking her head at him, she looked down at the platters of food on the table. Cheesecakes, toasts, butter rolls, jugs of juices and kettles of tea, shepherd's pie, waffles and many other plates were placed all over the surface.

"This much just for snacks?" She asked.

Jake shrugged, "We are hungry."

Sonia shook her head and began filling up her plate.

Half an hour later, she slumped back in her seat, a hand over her stomach.

"I'm so stuffed," she groaned.

Aisling laughed, "Take a walk around the gardens and soon enough you'll be hungry again."

"I'll take you," Gage shot up from his seat.

"Good. I can hardly keep my eyes open," Ian murmured.

Gage gestured to Sonia, "Come. I'll show you the place."

Sonia smiled and together they headed out of the room.

"She has no idea," Aisling spoke quietly.

Caroline shook her head, "It's not the right time yet."

"The time is never right," Conor said, wiping his mouth with a red coloured napkin, "We have to make it right."

"She has to know about it sooner or later. And once she does, I'm afraid she'll never be the same," Caroline whispered the last part.

"Change will come, my dear. And if I daresay, it's right there, visible like the horizon," Aisling looked straight into Caroline's eyes, making her take in a startled breath.

"Do you mean she'll be taken away from us?" She asked.

"She did come to us to be taken away someday, Aunt. We just need to urge her in the direction she's meant to go," Jake answered softly.

Ian glared at him, his fists tightening on his lap.

"But that'll happen only if she finds her father," Dim argued.

"She will. Soon," Aisling smiled.

Ian had enough. He shot up from his seat, "Sonia ain't going anywhere until we're ready to let her go," he looked at Jake then back at Aisling, "I don't know about you but I'm not ready to let her go anytime soon," he turned and stormed out of the room.

"He still hides his emotions," Conor shook his head.

James chuckled, "You should have seen him the first week Sonia arrived. Growling was what he did the whole time."

"I disagree with you, Conor," Aisling smiled at him, "Ian is the most emotional of the lot."

Dim nodded in agreement before getting up, "I'll keep him company. See you later, Maa, Papa," he bowed his head, then turning around, walked out.

***
Sonia and Gage walked out through the front door.

"We used to spend so much time here when we were kids," Gage smiled as he looked over the grounds sprawled before him.

"I still can't believe I have my own room in a Medieval Castle!" Sonia gushed as she rushed ahead then turned back around to look at the castle from a distance.

Gage came over to stand beside her, "I still get goose bumps every time I lay eyes over her."

"Hey! My window faces the backside. I want to see the gardens," Sonia turned to him with big pleading eyes.

Gage chuckled, "Okay. It's a little walk from here."

He slung his arm over her shoulders and together they walked over the stone pathway.

Gage pointed to a one storey barn house at the far end of the grounds, "That's the stable, or used to be."

"You have horses?"

"Not now? We had around seven horses. Then things happened and one by one five of them died."

"What about the other two?"

"Papa gave them away to his friend."

Sonia nodded her head, "So what's in the stable now?"

Gage shrugged, "Mostly junk. And Papa's bike, Uncle James' vintage cat and I guess Uncle Jack is still working on its engine whenever we get here."

Sonia chuckled, "Sometimes it's so hard to differentiate between you. All five of you live like you are from the same parents."

"Same grand-parents, love."

"Yeah," Sonia nodded, smiling wishfully, "Branches of the same tree."

"And you are the bird that came and made the tree a home," Gage pulled her closer to him, hugging her.

As they took the first turn, Sonia's eyes caught a set of stairs, leading up to a balcony. She could see two glass doors shutting the room. Curtains were drawn and nothing else was visible.

"Whose room is that?" She asked.

"That's the ballroom."

"Can we see it?" She asked turning her head to Gage.

He cocked his head, "I guess it hadn't been opened since many years."

Sonia's brows furrowed, "But why?"

Gage shrugged, "There was no need of it," he shook his head, "Who throws ball parties these days?"

Sonia's brow rose as she chewed over the information.

They walked over the grass, many closed curtains behind tall closed glass windows tempting Sonia for a peek into the grand room.

"Look! That's our swing," Gage said all of a sudden, making her jump a bit.

She looked in the direction he was pointing and saw a wooden swing hanging from a sturdy tree branch.

Gage moved in the direction, taking Sonia with him. He tugged at the ropes, frowning a bit.

"Do you think it's still good?" Gage asked, "Do you wanna try it?"

Sonia looked at the old weather worn ropes and gulped, "I guess I want to see the gardens first."

Gage shrugged, "I don't think it's strong. Let’s go. I'll change these ropes later."

Sonia breathed a sigh of relief as they started walking again. Trees lined the edge of the lawn. The ground was covered with lush green grass. A pebbled path ran through it, branching out to make paths till doors.

Turning around the corner, they reached the backside. Sonia's breath hitched in her throat as the garden came into view.

"Oh my God. This is so beautiful!" She gushed and rushed ahead to admire the flowers.

Hydrangeas, lilies, roses, bellflowers, peonies coloured the area in neat patches.

Sonia touched a rose, marvelling at the perfectly blooming flower.

"I think this is the most perfect rose I've ever seen," she smiled.

Turning around, she looked up, "Where's my window?"

Gage came over to stand by her and pointed to a set directly above them, "That one."

Sonia's eyes twinkled in amazement as she watched the stone castle, "I am already in love with this place."

"Amazing, isn't it?" Gage smiled, "It's through faith that we turn dirt and rocks into a castle."

Sonia looked at Gage gazing at the monument, "I'm so grateful to be able to come here."

Gage looked down at her, "We also have a herb and vegetables garden."

"Where?"

Gage slung an arm around her shoulders again, "Just around the corner. Come, we'll take a tour through the kitchen too."

"Sonia! Gage!" They both turned around at the shout and saw Jake hurrying towards them.

"Papa and Maa asked everyone to come in the living room in a while," he said upon reaching them.

Gage looked at Sonia, "You must get some rest. We'll see the remaining parts later."

Sonia nodded before walking away, her hands trailing over the flower bushes.

Jake and Gage looked after her, "Maa thinks it's time for her to know."

Gage took in a deep breath, "As she sees fit."

***
Ian scrolled through his phone, the others around him as they waited for their grandparents.

Aisling and Conor entered the living room after a while and took a seat on the couch and smiled at their family.

"Where's Sonia?" Conor asked.

"She just went to grab some snacks," Caroline answered.

Just then, Sonia entered the room, a tray loaded with food in her hands, "I absolutely love the kitchen," she announced.

"Sonia, come sit near me," Aisling patted the seat next to her.

After placing the tray on the coffee table, Sonia took her seat.

Conor looked over at the others, "So as expected, you children again forgot our day," he shook his head before continuing, "So we decided to remind you of our 50th Anniversary which is in five days."

Sonia's eyes lightened up, "Oh my God. 50 years! We must host a party for you guys!"

Emm sat up straight in his seat, "Aye. A party is in order."

"But who'll handle it? There's so much work to be done and so little time," James protested.

"Don't you worry, Dad," Ian finally placed his phone away, "We boys and Sonia will arrange everything. Right, Sonia?"

Sonia's head bobbed up and down in agreement, "You elders just hand us the guest list by tomorrow evening. We'll be hosting a ballroom party."

Aisling giggled, "Okay love. I'll also dig up the gowns and have Andrew get the seamstress. You do as you please," she cupped Sonia's cheek, "The entire staff will be at your service."

Sonia smiled and looked at her team, "Let's get going guys. We have a lot to do. It's going to be memorable."