Chapter 40

They completed all their work the next day by evening. The boys took off saying they were headed for a wind off. With the ladies busy in Maa's room with the seamstress and the gowns, there was no work left. Sonia took this time off in the library. Grabbing a book, she settled by the window.

As the sun descended, Sonia put the book down, refusing to get up from the comfortable position. She watched out of the window, longing to go to the swing again.

Sonia looked down at her fingers. The tips were tingling again. Frowning, she wrung her hands and it went away.

Irritated, she stomped out of the library and went to the swing. It was dusk and there was a little light. She sat down on the swing, idling her time away.

There was a light rustle and she quickly looked up in anticipation.

Ian walked up to her, "What are you doing here? We were searching for you."

Sonia shrugged, realizing she wanted to see the black wolf again.

"I was bored," she mumbled.

Ian chuckled, "The party's tomorrow. There is nothing more to be done than get dressed and show up."

Sonia's eyes widened, "I do not even have a dress."

"Did you check your room? Maa was saying something about having altered a gown to fit you," but Sonia didn't let him finish. She was already up and running away.

Sonia didn't stop till she reached her room. Opening the door, she felt her mouth drop open at the sight of the gown on a mannequin directly in the middle of the room.

She walked towards it and touched the sleeve lightly, mesmerised by the beauty of the intricate work. Noticing a note, she plucked it and unfolded it.

The matching necklace and earrings are on the dressing table.
   DO NOT TELL THE BOYS. SURPRISE THEM.
• Love, Maa.

Sonia smiled at the note and walked to the dresser. Picking up the black box, she opened it. Her breath hitched in the throat.

She ran her fingers over the necklace and the earrings. The design exactly matching the work on the dress as if it was made specially for it.

Sighing at the beautiful things, she placed it down and walked over the window. Sitting down on the cushioned bench by the window, she looked down, expecting to see the wolf.

Instead, Ian sat there, at the exact spot by the swing where the wolf had the previous night.

***
The next morning was a blur of activities. Sonia rushed from one place to another, making sure everything was set.

Rushing up the stairs, she knocked on Dim's door where all the boys were holed in, after refusing to fret over the preparations.

"It's already three. The guests will be here by 6. Make sure you get ready before that," she called out.

The door opened and Ian stood there. He looked down at her and frowned, "What about you?"

Sonia rolled her eyes, "I just need to get a few more things done. Then I too shall get ready," she answered as she turned and walked away.

Ian watched as she reached the stairs and then slid down the banister.

"She's getting good at it," Gage mumbled as he too saw her.

"She's gonna break her neck someday," Ian shook his head, "I have a plan. Let's get ready, guys."

Sonia finally had everything as she wanted it to be. Flowers were arranged properly in the vases, the cake on the rolling table in the kitchen and the ballroom fully decorated, just waiting for it's door to open.

She rechecked the playlist before handing it over to Austin, the head of the band. They began setting up in the corner of the ballroom on a raised platform.

Sonia checked her wristwatch. It was already 4.45. Swearing, she rushed out of the ballroom and up the two flight of stairs.

Running to her room, she shut the door and rushed to the bathroom. Deciding to take a bubble bath, she turned on the tap and as the tub filled with water, she began gathering the necessary things.

***
Jake peeped out of the door, "The coast is clear. She's not here," he mumbled and all five of them filed out of the room. They reached the top of the steps.

"You ready Uncle Andrew?" He called out.

Andrew, the sixty-year-old man and the head of the staff, fumbled with the camera in his hand.

"Bollocks. Just give me a minute, kid," he answered, as he stood a little away from the base of the steps, "Darn thing. I'm gonna kill you," he grumbled at the camera.

Managing to switch on the camera, he smiled, "Aha! There you go," he adjusted the frame so that the stairs came into view, with the boys standing at the top.

"On three. One, two and three!" He clicked the record button and gave a thumbs up.

Jake smiled as he walked ahead and slid down the banister, landing smoothly on the floor before casually walking away.

The others followed him one by one, no one appearing even a teeny bit fazed as they all slid down the banister in their dapper black suits and shiny shoes.
Andrew pressed the stop button, grinning, "Amazing! The banister looks polished," he said, handing the camera to Emm, "Don't forget to dust off your pants, kids," he walked away as the guys began slapping their butts.

"When will we show her this?" Emm asked, watching the video.

"After the party. She's so going to love it!" Jake beamed with excitement.

Emm pocketed the camera and looked at his watch, "It's about time. Let's head to the ballroom."

Soon enough the guests began arriving. The boys, their parents, along with the staff welcomed them.

At exactly 6:30, the music turned to soft violin and piano notes and the lights dimmed.

A spotlight illuminated the doorway where Aisling and Conor stood. She had a beautiful peach coloured gown on. It fitted her perfectly while Conor looked handsome in a three piece black suit. Aisling was holding her husband's arm as they slowly walked into the room amidst cheers and applause.

"Where's Sonia?" Dim asked Ian, "The cake cutting is at 8."

"She'll be here," Gage said sipping on his wine, "She must need a little time to relax and get ready. After all, she did such a fabulous job. We didn’t help her decorate the room."

The others agreed as they watched the once forgotten room breathing again with men in dapper suits and women in elaborate gowns.

"She did work hard," Jake said, "She made Maa Papa's day beautiful."

"Holy father, she's so beautiful," Ian whispered, making others frown as they turned to look at him. Almost in unison, they followed his line of sight.

"Breath taking," Jake's eyes widened.

Sonia stood by the doorway, talking to a maid. Smiling at her, she turned around and Ian felt all the air leave his lungs.

The other people too must have noticed her as all the movement in the room came to a stop. Hushed whispers filled with awe were the only things audible beside the soft background music.

Ian watched her gulp as she tried to keep up her smile at the sudden attention. Her eyes searched the faces before finally settling on him. It was as if she relaxed completely on seeing him.

Head held high, she walked gracefully into the room, her hands holding the dress at her hips.

She reached the boys and let out a sigh, "Sorry, I got late. It took me ten minutes just to climb down the steps without falling face first."

"Worth the wait," Ian smiled at her, "The dance is about to begin."

"The colour really does justice to you," Emm said.

Ian looked at the deep blue dress, modest neckline and princess sleeves. It was altered to fit her perfectly. The layers shimmering at the slightest movement.

"Are you wearing glass slippers?" Dim asked.

Sonia's eyes danced with mischief as she held the dress a bit higher and showed them her feet. She had blue coloured high heels on. Not glass ones, but nearly the same.

"The flare is so long. You can easily make a child's dress from it and no one would notice," Jake joked.

Sonia giggled as she looked at the dress trailing behind her.

"I hope I don't trip over it while dancing."

"I won't let you," Ian offered her his hand and to his surprise, she smiled, accepting it immediately.

"Stay by me," she mumbled, as the slow notes of the first dance began.

"Always," Ian said, not able to tear his eyes away.

Conor and Aisling walked to the middle, starting the dance. Soon enough the three uncles joined in with their wives. Others too gradually filled in.

Dim, Gage, Emm and Jake walked over and instead of choosing a dance partners amongst the hoard of girls, began dancing in pairs, making the whole room laugh out at their mischief.

"Shall we?" Ian asked and Sonia nodded once.

He walked ahead, and all at once, twirled her around before gathering her in his arms.

Together, they began the dance, the entire room in complete sync.

"Is everything as it should be?" She asked, "Is the cake here yet?"

"You look beautiful," Ian said, making her look up at him.

He had his attention transfixed on her. She had a simple single strand necklace and earrings on. Her hair was pulled back, pinned behind her ear and were arranged on one shoulder. A single curled strand on the other side, her neck being fully visible.

Ian gulped, a strange feeling running through his body.

Sonia looked down, her cheeks going a light shade of pink at his compliment.

Ian felt difficulty in breathing. Pulling her a tad bit closer, he continued the dance, her smell intoxicating his senses.

"May I?" He jerked, coming back to his senses as Dim cut in.

Nodding, he kissed Sonia's knuckles before handing her over. Walking over to the bar, he gestured to the bartender and kept his eyes on Sonia, gulping down the whiskey as soon as it was placed down before him.

Dim twirled her and Sonia smiled. Leaning down, so his mouth was level with her ear, he whispered, "Hold onto my shoulders."

Sonia just had the time to grab his shoulders before he picked her up by her waist, and twirled around holding her up in the air, her dress going with the flow. It looked as if she was the princess of a fairytale.

Sonia giggled as he put her back down and with a quick twirl she was passed to Jake.

Turn by turn, she danced with the boys, then the Uncles before being handed over to Conor.

He held her gently as they danced, "Aisling is so happy. Thank you, love."

Sonia smiled, "I promised to make your day special."

He nodded, "Yes, you did. Now hold on tight."

By now, Sonia knew to act fast on the warnings. With a quick twist, Conor had her bending backwards, him leaning over her, completely holding her slanting body in the air as he struck the most iconic pose.

As they straightened, Sonia laughed, "You guys are amazing."

Conor too, laughed at her breathless statement as they both continued to dance, never missing a beat.

"May I?" a voice cut in and Conor stopped.

Sonia looked at the man. He appeared to be Conor's age. Dressed in a wine coloured suit, he smiled at Conor.

Sonia felt Conor's arms tighten around her, refusing to let go.

"Won't you introduce me to her?"

Conor clenched his jaw, "Kael. I thought you won't come."

The man shrugged, "I thought so too," he turned his eyes towards Sonia, "But then I heard of a certain guest and had to come over."

Conor's arms tightened. Sonia quietly patted his shoulder and he understood her implication.

"Return her back," Conor said a warning in his tone.

"Of course I will once I'm done with her," he sneered, holding out his hand again.

Sonia frowned but walked to him, holding his hand, her other holding Conor's.

Conor looked at the man, then at Sonia, his gaze softening. Squeezing her hand once, he let go.

Kael took Sonia in his arms and twirled around. Sonia tried to maintain as much space between them as possible.

"It's a pleasure meeting you," he said.

Sonia looked up then quickly turned her eyes away from his dark orbs.

Her fingertips were tingling again and this time the sensation was more powerful.

"I've waited for so long to see you," Sonia frowned as he looked at him again.

"What?"

He nodded, "I knew your mother. She thought she was protecting you. But she so forgot that in order to protect others, you need to protect yourself first."

"What do you mean?" Sonia asked.

"You know what I mean, sweet Sonia."

Sonia felt the tingling increase, a drop of sweat ran down her nape as the man kept looking into her eyes, not letting her look away.

"Haven't yet been exposed to the inner self, have you?"

"I don't understand what you are talking about."

"Oh, you don't?" He cocked his head.

At Sonia's shake of head, he chuckled low, his eyes shining.

"They haven't told you yet," he nodded, "But why? You have the right to know."

"Whom are you talking about?"

Kael was silent for a minute. He looked away from her, his eyes finding Conor's over her head.

"The Richard family. About their secret. About Aisling. About Caroline, whom you live with," he returned his eyes back to her, "About you, your secret. About your family."

"I know everything about my family," Sonia answered, raising her chin slightly.

Kael chuckled again, "Protecting others again? Protect yourself first, little flower."

"I am not protecting anyone."

"Did your mom then tell you about your father?"

Sonia felt her limbs weaken.

The man was clearly trying to weaken her, ruin her mood.

"She told me all that I needed to know and that's enough. Now, if you'll excuse me," she stepped back and turning around, walked away, Kael watching her intently.