Chapter 41

Sonia walked out and away from the crowd. She stumbled to the balcony and gulped in the fresh air. Taking in a few more she rubbed her palms over her arms, the chilly air of the night registering now.

She didn't know what came over her. She just needed to escape the room. It was unbreathable in there. Turning around, she watched the glowing room, bustling with men in dappling suits and ladies in stunning dresses. She knew, she didn't belong there but then her gaze fell upon Maa.

And Sonia smiled. She belonged. For the first time in all her years, she belonged. She looked at the boys, laughing as they swirled their mothers around.

A chuckle escaped her lips as Emm twirled Aunt Cassie around and passed her to Gage. The boys had a way with their moves. Sonia smiled as she remembered the way they had made her dance. She wrapped her arms around herself to ward off the chill and kept watching them through the glass doors.

She watched the three uncles twirling Maa. Sonia could swear the woman was anything but old. She still had the grace and the energy of a twenty year old.

Rayson passed his mother to his brother, stepping back and Sonia caught the sight of the man who was the reason of her rushing out.

Her brows furrowed as she watched the man. He seemed familiar. Sonia couldn't shake off the feeling that she somehow knew him. And it was as if he too felt the same thing. The way he looked at her while they danced was proof enough. Unable to shake the gloomy feel off, she turned back away from the room.

Ian laughed as he watched Dim stumble on Aunt Katherine's dress and she slapped him lightly on his arm. As lithe as he may be in all his fights and walks, he was still not so nimble at dancing.

***
Ian took a sip of his drink and looked around. He frowned as he couldn't find any sign of the midnight blue dress anywhere. Confused, he placed his glass away and pushed through the crowd.

A few steps ahead and he caught a slight movement by the French windows. Hurrying over, he pulled the door open and rushed out. Surprisingly, there was no one there.

Ian scratched his head and looked around. He caught another moment just as the person rounded the corner. Jaw clenching, he ran behind the person.

He turned around the corner and stopped as he watched. A smile formed on his lips as he saw Sonia walk across the ground. She had her arms wrapped around her and her head down as if deep in thought. Her dress trailed behind her and the gaslights made it looked like an eternal figure was having a stroll through his grandparents' garden.

"Sonia!" He called out.

She stopped abruptly and turned around. Ian waved at her before hurrying over to her in a light jog.

"Where are you going?" He asked upon reaching her side.

She merely shrugged her shoulders, "Needed some fresh air," she looked back at the castle behind Ian and took a breath before moving her gaze back to him, "Do you want to come?" She asked angling her head to the trees behind her.

Ian's lips stretched into a smile, "Sure."

They fell into step together and walked out of the fence and through the gate.

"We used to hang out here a lot when we were little," Ian said quietly as he looked at the familiar trees surrounding them.

Sonia smiled at the serene feeling, "Umm-hmm. Did you guys have any designated spot?"

Ian looked down at her and raised an eyebrow. Sonia shrugged sheepishly, nodding her head, "Of course you had."

A laugh escaped Ian and once again they walked in companionable silence. Ian looked at her from the corner of his eyes and gulped.

She did look ethereal. Even the way she kept her head down, concentrating on her steps was appealing to him. If he had thought the dress looked beautiful on her in the ballroom lights, he was perchance not giving it enough credit.

Here, in the dense woods, surrounded by nothing but dark vegetation, in the silver rays of the moon, she was the epitome of beauty. And yet she didn't wear as much makeup as the ladies back in the ballroom.

Ian took in a ragged breath as he realised that this was perhaps the first time they both were together in the woods without a fight between them.

And it feels wonderful, the inner voice beamed making Ian nod in agreement.

He hopped on a big fallen tree trunk in their path and stretched out his hand for her to take.

She put her hand in his and raised an eyebrow in appreciation, "Chivalry suits you," she commented bunching up her skirt in another hand and stepping up on the log.

"You think so?" Ian asked and pulling her the last step up, twirled around, with her in his arms before pushing her down, one arm around her waist while the other supporting her nape, his face close to her as he struck a pose in the middle of the forest.

"Idiot," she laughed before pushing on his chest indicating for him to straighten up.

He laughed and moved back, "Regardless, I am a gentleman," he said, jumping down the log and once again held out his hand for her.

She rolled her eyes and started to descend but as fate had it, her foot got tangled in the yard long skirt of her dress and she stumbled, muttering a low "Shit," as she went down, her eyes going wide.

Ian caught her in mid air, "Gotcha," he whispered to her.

Sonia took in a breath as she looked in his eyes. The blue orbs tinkling with mischief as he held her by her waist, her feet dangling in the air as her hands rested on his broad shoulders.

"Thanks," she mumbled and he let her down.

She shook her head as she saw the rip at the seam of the dress, "First time and I already ruined it."

Ian looked down at her dress and shrugged, "Don't worry. We will have an inch cut off. Not that it will affect the skirt, it’s so long anyway."

Sonia grinned at his comment, "As expected."

Ian looked at her face then jerked his head, "Let's go."

They fell in step once again as they headed for their destination.

A few minutes of walking in silence and Sonia couldn't hold it anymore, "I'm dying! Let's go back."

It was Ian's turn to roll his eyes, "Want me to carry you, sugar?"

Heat rushed to Sonia's face as she remembered the last time they had tracked and how Gage had thrown her over his shoulder, the guys' version of carrying a girl.

She shook her head quickly, "Naah. Hurry up," she urged as she walked ahead.

Ian suppressed a chuckle and followed her. Just a couple of minutes more and he knew all her fatigue would disappear at what was to come.

As he had expected, she stopped and turned to him, her eyes wide with excitement.

Ian nodded his head once and that was all she needed as she picked up her skirt and rushed ahead.

Bursting through the trees, she ran in to the clearing, and stared in awe.

The moon, high over their heads, cast everything in its silver light. The tall pine trees surrounding the perimeter of the wide circular clearing. Sonia ran ahead and directly in the centre of the place and twirled around.

Giggling she threw her hands up, the place was beautiful and she felt content just being there. Turning behind, she looked for Ian and finally spotted him under a tree's shadow, just at the edge of the clearing.

She huffed and waved him over. He emerged from the shadows, phone in his hand. Sonia rolled her eyes and showed her tongue to the camera.

Ian laughed at her tactics and put the phone away, "I captured that."

Sonia put her hands on her hips, "You won’t show it to anyone."

Ian shrugged a shoulder, "You looked beautiful."

Sonia raised an eyebrow which he ignored as he looked away from her. Ian looked around, then slyly at her.

She was looking down shaking her head, her cheeks a fine shade of pink.

She is still not used to compliments, the inner voice spoke and Ian cocked his head as he just watched the beauty before him, while she watched the beauty around her.

"Your wrists are unadorned," he spoke, drawing her attention back to him.

She looked down at her hands and then back at him, "Didn't find anything to go with the dress."

Ian frowned as he stepped towards her and gently took her hand in his, "What if I give you something? Will you wear it?"

Sonia's eyebrows shot up high, "Why Mr. Ian? Are you practicing your pickup lines for Margie on me?"

Ian's face scrunched up and he let go of her hand, "Margie?" He asked, "As in the Margie Holler?"

Sonia tried hard to swallow the chuckle, "Yes. Margie Hogan."

Ian looked at her bewildered, "Who told you that Holler and I are-" his eyes widened and he held up his index finger, "Hold on. It was Gage, wasn't it?"

Sonia shrugged a shoulder, grinning widely, "I can't say who, but someone did mention that you and Margie are in love since you were kids."

Ian made a gagging sound and Sonia laughed, "Don't panic. I'm just teasing."

"Yeah, yeah. My day will come too," Ian shook his head as he turned away from her.

"It's so nice here!" Sonia said, trying to change the topic.

Ian smiled and turned back to her, "So as I was saying, will you wear something I give you?"

Sonia shrugged, "Why not?"

Ian beamed and put his hand in the inner pocket of his coat, frowning as he found it empty. Gulping, he checked the other side, then his trouser pockets.

"I lost it again?" He mumbled pulling out his coat and checking it again.

Sonia watched in amusement as he paled, "You must have left it home."

His head whipped in her direction and he remembered, "The phone call," he mumbled, smacking his forehead.

Sonia raised her brows in question.

Ian took a deep breath as he took a step and swung his coat over her shoulder.

"Why thank you, sir," she chided him.

Ian simply sat down at the ground.

"Won't you dust the ground for the lady?"

"Cut it," he hissed and grabbing her hand pulled her down beside him.

They both sat there, watching the night sky, his arm around her shoulders as the crickets chirped in the dark bushes.

"What was it?" She asked after a few minutes.

"Just something I found a long time ago," he mumbled.

"So you want to give it to me?"

"Thought you would like it," he looked down at her face, the beautiful eyes still lit in expectation.

She has never been gifted before, he thought and pulled her a bit closer.

"What if I run over and grab it? You'll wait here?" He asked.

She pulled away, "It is okay. You don't have to give anything, Ian. I was kidding."

"Will you wait here?"

She huffed, "Yeah. Why not. Just come back fast."

Ian smiled and kissed her forehead, "You're gonna love it," he whispered and got up, "Don't wander. Stay within the clearing, okay?"

She smiled, "You better come back before I wander away."

“In a wink," he said and ran away.

Sonia smiled at his back and pulled the jacket closer. There's nothing to be afraid of, he'll be back soon, she told herself as Ian was swallowed by the dense trees, not noticing the dark figure watching her from the other end of the clearing.

Sighing, she turned around and walked a few steps away. She looked down at the ground, the grass, even here in the wild looked soft. Giving into the urge, she pulled her heels off and stood in the grass, smiling as it tickled her feet.

"There better not be any ants," she mumbled and looked up at the sky.

As she watched the night sky, the figure quietly moved near her, walking stealthily, the noise of its footsteps muffled by the soft grass.

Sonia sensed it and before the hand could touch her shoulder, she turned around and hit the hand away, her stance ready for the fight.

Her brows furrowed as she recognised the person smiling down at her.

"Hey!" The person said and Sonia smiled, straightening up.

"Eric!" She beamed, "What are you doing here?"

He smiled at her, "You look stunning in that," his voice was a light whisper and Sonia blushed at the compliment.

Folding her arms over her chest she waited for him to answer her question.

He sighed, "I need to tell you something," he grabbed her arm.

She moved his hand away, "No. You answer my question first. You disappear suddenly and then appear here, in the middle of literally nowhere. What's up with you?"

A side of his lips quirked up, "Did ya’ miss me?"

Sonia rolled her eyes, "I missed my Economics partner."

Eric's face fell, "You need to hear me out."

"But you don’t understand, Eric. You and Ian, you guys hate each others' guts. And he'll be here any minute," she rushed out.

Eric closed his eyes and let out a breath, "So hear me out before he comes. And why are you here alone in the first place? Doesn’t he know?"

"No he doesn’t," a voice interrupted them.

Eric turned around and stiffened.

***
Ian dashed in through the back door, and ran straight for the stairs. Taking two at a time, he reached his room and threw the door open. The box lay where he had left it. Opening it, he made sure the thing was in there, before tucking it in his pants pocket and heading back to the door.

He slid his way down the banister and jumped at the last step.

"We will never again climb down the steps the normal way ever."

Ian looked up to see Gage entering the main room through the ballroom. He grinned at him, "She changed us in many ways than sliding down the banister."

Gage nodded as he walked up to him, "That she did. But where is she?"

Ian smacked his head, "In the woods. I showed her our spot."

Gage cocked his head, "And you left her there?"

Ian pulled out the box, "Forgot this."

Gage's eyes lit up as he saw the dark blue box, "About time you give that to her."

Ian nodded, "I must go now."

He rushed out through the back doors again and ran around the mansion to the side of the garden they had left through.

Ian jumped over the fence as was their way since childhood and ran for the woods again.

A smile sat on his face as he kept thinking about her reaction on seeing the gift. It was not a gift, a surprise it can be.

Ian noticed a spring in his step and stopped, frowning at his silliness.

Why am I so happy about? He thought.

"Cool it, mate," he whispered to himself and forced himself to walk the rest of the way.

The minute he crossed the log, his senses picked up.

Something was not right.

Ian kicked his feet and ran at utmost speed. His heart thudded more in fear than in the exertion he was pushing his body at.

Sonia! Sonia! His mind chanted as he prayed fervently for her to be alright.

The scent hit his nose before the clearing came into view. Something was wrong. He growled as he tried to push it down but failed as he tore his shirt down with one hand before leaping into the air.

And landing down on the edge of the clearing on all his four, the beast released.

Growling.

Ears pulled back.

Body tensed.

As he watched the girl fighting a monster. Restraint, no more a word for the beast, it charged forward aiming for the man's throat.