Chapter 12

Her first lecture was Economics. The professor- Mr. Thompson- a very stern looking patron, gave her a thorough look through his thick glasses, then to her utter surprise beamed an equally overindulging smile. He ushered her towards a seat and Sonia released a sigh of relief as she noticed that the seat was not directly in the middle of the class. Instead, her seat was by the window, which faced the back of the college. It boasted a nice few yards of perfectly trimmed lawn. Beyond it was the expected line of lush green trees.

  Sonia sat and began gauging her neighbours. The girl to her right was more interested in her phone than anything else. And the guy in front of her had his nose borrowed in a book. Low expectancy rate there, Sonia mused as she smiled to herself.

  There was still time for the class to begin and Sonia simply was completely alone. Suddenly she felt a wave of longing and homesickness wash over her. She was wallowing in it when a hustle at the entrance of the class drew her attention. She looked up and saw a group of boys entered the class. Three boys got in and Sonia - as there was nothing else to do - watched their activities. The first two thumped each other and headed straight to their seats and the third one remained there. Sonia returned her attention back to the other two and noticed that one of them sat next to the boy with his nose in the book, while the other sauntered towards a bunch of girls in the back. Suddenly, the third one came and sat right next to her. She jerked, straightening up from her slouch and looked straight towards the front.

  A few seconds passed as he settled down before he uttered a "Hi."

   Sonia turned her face towards him and saw him smiling. She instantly answered with one of her own smiles as she replied, "Hey."

   "Eric," he said and extended his hand.

  "Sonia," she replied as she shook his hand. The first thing her mind registered was how warm his hand was. She took in his features. He looked just as striking as the Richards boys but somehow, he appeared to be a bit more polished while they had a ruggedness to them.

  She took a deep breath as she straightened back in her seat.

"You new here?" He asked, drawing her attention back to him.

  "Yes," she replied nodding her head, "I'm from India."

  "Wow! I have never met an Indian before," he exclaimed as he edged closer to her. She smiled at him. He appeared friendly but his dark black eyes made her to edge over and put a cautious distance between them. Luckily, the lecturer raised his voice just then, calling everyone's attention and she released a breath as their conversation stopped there.

   The professor went on and on about the terms not allowing a chance for Eric to speak anything. Sonia was grateful for that as she enjoyed the serenity of being bored in a class again.

  Finally when the bell went off, everyone heaved a sigh of relief, causing the professor to narrow his eyes at the class. Sonia felt her lips curve as she closed her books and got up, ready to leave. It was then that he spoke again.

  "Hey, can we walk together?" He was so polite that she agreed without thinking.

  They left the class together as he continued, "So what is India like?"

  Sonia looked up at him. Maybe I am just over thinking, she thought, he is just a person trying to help me settle down. She smiled as she answered, "It's lovely."

  "Really!" He exclaimed, excited as a child. "So you find Ireland not so lovely, huh?"

  "I never said that. It’s lovely here also," she replied.

  He laughed at that, "So when did you arrive here?"

  "Just a couple of weeks ago."

  "Then I gather you haven't seen much of the area. Yet you say it's lovely?" He teased.

  "Ahh, actually, I was settling down so I guess I didn't had much time to go sightseeing, but it's actually nice from the little I have seen," she smiled shrugging her shoulders. They reached their lockers and Sonia opened hers' and got her books while Eric stood behind her. Unaware, she shut the locker and turned around, bumping into him, "Oops. I am so sorry," she quickly apologised as she felt her cheeks redden. She took a step back but he appeared unfazed by it all as she stood there all tall and towering, smiling down at her. He cocked his head at her apology, "Where do you live?"

  Sonia's brows furrowed at his question, "Umm, actually I-" she stopped as her gaze found Ian staring at her from across the corridor. Gage was standing beside him and when he saw her, he waved her over. Instantly she felt herself relax on seeing their familiar faces.

   She turned her attention back to Eric, "Sorry, I have to go. My friends are waiting for me," she sidestepped him.

  "No problem. See you again," he mumbled.

  "Yeah. Sure," she replied but had already turned away from him and hurried towards Ian.

  "I see, you dumped me already," Gage said as she reached them.

  "Oh no, how can I as of yet? Besides I ache for your poor self."

  "Who was that guy?" Ian asked ceasing their easy teasing at once.

  Sonia looked at him, "Don't you know him?" She asked.

  "I didn't see his face," he retorted standing straight as if to defend himself.

  "He was busy ogling you," Gage put in earning a glare from Ian.

  "Is that so?" She looked at Ian, batting her eyelashes and smiling shyly.

  "Cut it," he hissed and strode away.

  Gage laughed from beside her, "You pulled that face real nice." Sonia turned towards him, smiling as he swinged his arm over her shoulder, dragging her along with him, following Ian.

  "And it's just the first day," she quipped and they both looked at each other before bursting into laughter together.

  The next two lectures went well. Sonia smiled at her new friend, Jessica Rebello, as they both walked to the canteen. They had sat next to each other and had hooked up in an instant. Just as she had with Jiya, Sonia thought. Jess - as she had insisted her to be called - was very much the opposite of Jiya in her looks but was the exact same by nature. Jess was blond, with hair the colour of wheat and eyes as green as shining emeralds. She was tall and had the perfect figure of a cheerleader. She had not made Sonia feel like a new bee.

  But above all, she never gave anyone a chance to speak, maybe just a few words now and again but not more. She kept up with her chatter, providing all the information on any given topic - be it a thing or a person.

   They entered the cafeteria and Sonia's senses instantly overcame with all scents and noises in the room. She looked around, trying to find the familiarity of the Richards among the hordes of strangers. Her gaze found Eric sitting with his group, engrossed in their conversation. Her attention snapped as Jess nudged her by her shoulder. Sonia looked over to where she was motioning through her eyes. Sonia smiled as she saw it was Jake, waving her over.

  Jess, mistaking the wave for her, smiled as she said, "Do you see that? He's a fresher. But I know him. Actually his brothers, I mean" She raised her hand and patted her hair delicately. "Do you happen to know them?" She asked.

  "Ye-" Sonia opened her mouth but was cut off as Jess continued, "Oh how silly of me! How will you know them? Of Course not,"

  "Actually, I -" Sonia tried but Jess just took hold of her hand.

  "Yeah, yeah, I am sorry, I forgot you are new and all. But don't worry. I'll introduce you, come with me," saying so she began dragging her towards the table, "They are all actually very nice. You will be glad to befriend the lot. The new guy is Jake and the others are his brothers. You will always find them all together," she kept on talking.

  "Jess, I-" Sonia tried again. They were nearing the table and she didn't wish to embarrass her friend.

  "Oh stop being so nervous. As I mentioned, they are all nice. They won't let you feel out of place although they do appear a bit overwhelming in the looks department," Jess chuckled at that as Sonia could only follow her, eyes wide.

  They reached the table and Jess stopped as she waved, "Hey guys. I want y'all to me-"

  This time however she was cut off as Jake shot up from his seat, "Sonia! What took you so long? We were waiting for you."

  Sonia closed her eyes for a moment and then turned towards Jess. She was staring at her, clearly confused. "Umm, Jess, I actually know them?"

  "But how?" Jess whispered, "it's your first day here!"

  "I kinda live with them," Sonia explained, hoping she wouldn't ask all the details.

  "What? Why didn't you tell me?"

  "I am so sorry. I think I just forgot to mention it," Sonia shrugged.

  "No worries," Jess waved her apology off with a flick of her wrist, "I think I should be off then. I will be there with my group, over there," she pointed out towards another table on the other side of the room.

  "Sure. See you," Sonia replied but Jess was busy smiling at the boys and sauntered away.

  Sonia sighed as she sat down. As usual, the only seat vacant was beside Ian.

  "Does she have any boyfriend?" Gage asked as soon as she sat.

  Sonia narrowed her eyes at him, "Dumping me already?"

  Gage smiled devilishly, "You will always be my favourite, sweetie, but duty calls."

  Sonia's eyebrows shot up, "Oh, so stressful it must be to keep up with all the work!"

  "Yeah," Gage agreed leaning back, "and I think you will be helping me with this one."

"And why would you think so?" She asked leaning forward, her elbows on the table.

  “‘coz you love me, sweetheart," he said, winking at her which made her giggle.

   And just like that, everyone was back to their easy bantering. Soon the bell rang and Sonia got up leaving the boys after goodbye. She joined Jess on her way to the next class. Jess, as it was, kept enlightening her about everything. Sonia smiled as she neared her class.

  Next lecture was Literature and she couldn't be more excited.

  When she reached the class, all seats were taken except a few. One in the front and a couple to the far left of the class. Sonia took the left one. The guy with the book in Economics class came and took the one in the front. Sonia released a sigh of relief. She didn't want to sit beside such a studious guy and disturb him with all her fumbling around.

  Her phone vibrated in her jeans pocket and she took it out, clicking on the message.
  All the best!
          - Gage.

  Sonia frowned. She shrugged as she put her phone away. He might have sent it earlier, it just got delivered now, she thought and looked up as a shadow fell over her. In an instant she understood what Gage meant and when was that message sent.

  Ian stood beside her seat, staring down at her with obvious disbelief.

                           *****
  Hey guys! Actually this chapter was done a week ago but I wanted to post it today. Why? It's my bdae!! Yay!! Okay so just a small reminder to myself for completing another year of happiness!

  And I want to share some great news. My uncle had a baby girl this Sunday. Yes and everyone went super crazy. Well, she is the first girl in the family. My uncles are four brothers with no sisters and daughters, just like our girl! She's so cute, I can't stop awwing over her. She's the prettiest lil sister ever.

  Okay! Done with the happy news and all. So I made this chapter without any reference to colleges in Ireland. If you guys find any mistake or whatsover please let me know. I will be happy to correct it.

Till we meet again:)

I forgot again!
Vote, comment and share:)