Chapter 21

Isn't it strange? How quickly time flies by when you are enjoying it the most.

  Sonia slumped down on the living room couch besides James. It had been the shortest and the most thrilling three hours of her life so far. Dim had finally taught her how to ride the bike.

  And it was a hell of a experience, she thought and winced as James put his hand around her shoulders.

  "What is it?" He asked straightening up and removing his hand.

  "Err, nothing," she smiled and tried to discourage any further questions by locking her eyes on the T.V screen.

  "Sonia, don't act. Everyone knows you don't like baseball reviews," his voice turned stern and Sonia had to gulp down the sudden bulge in her throat, “What happened?" He asked again.

"Nothing Uncle. It's just that," she scrambled around in her head for a way to escape, "- I am so tired," she finished and mocked a yawn as she rose up from her seat.

"Sonia! Sit," it was a command and she sat back down instantly.

"Dimitri," he called out just as Dim entered the room.

  "Here," he answered.

  "What's wrong with her?"

"Fell from the bike," Dim answered bluntly and handed Sonia a couple of aspirins and a glass of water. She quickly gulped them down, her eyes not leaving the floor.

  "And?" James pressed.

"And hurt her arm and shoulder. The skin's all scratched up pretty bad. Had it looked at by the doctor on the way back. But it will be better if Aunt takes a look too," he finished and Sonia felt as if he was giving a report to his superior.

  James listened without a sound. After a few moments, he spoke, "Let me see."

  Sonia looked up, ready to decline but the look in James' eyes spoke otherwise. Quickly she rolled up the sleeve of her left hand and winced when it stopped at the bandages.

  James simply got up and walked to his room. She looked up at Dim. He gave her a casual shrug and smiled. It didn't assure her in any way though.

  James came back and handed her a shirt, "Go change. Then back here," he said and took his place again on the couch. Sonia dragged her feet but did as he said.

When she got back the shirt making her look like a scarecrow, Dim and James were busy enjoying the game.

  James saw her and smiled as he patted the seat next to him, "Come here child."

  He turned to her as she sat and she hesitantly began rolling up the sleeve again, but James stopped her by putting his hand over her's.

  "You are like my daughter. No, you are my daughter," he smiled as he squeezed her hand softly before removing his away, "So don't worry," he looked in her eyes with such love that she had to blink back tears.

  Popping a button open, she moved one side of the shirt down her shoulder.

  James quietly extended his hand, and like a doctor doing a surgery, Dim handed over a cutter to him. He snipped the bandages and unwound them carefully. Sonia bit the inside of her cheek to hold in the groan.

She heard James take in a sharp breath as the bandages finally came off. But she didn't dare look at him. However, she had to look at her arm. Her breath hitched at the sight of it.

  The skin looked raw and angry. Scratches from where she had skid over the gravel, had spread all over the area.

  It had not looked so bad through her shirt. But Dim had covered her eyes as if she was a child when the doctor had tore the sleeve away. And so, she hadn't got a chance to take a proper look at it.