Chapter 14

When Dim stopped the jeep by his house, Sonia got out and began walking the few blocks to Ian's home. She hadn't responded to Jake when he and Emm had got off at their stop.

Ian was looking at her retreating form when Dimitri said, "Go a bit easy, Ian."

"But I just said that if she wanna make friends, there are other guys too!"

Dim cocked his head to left and folded his arms over his chest, a brow raised. Gage stood next to him, leaning against the car, his position relaxed. Both stood waiting.

Ian let out a frustrated breath, "Okay. Damn you! I admit I want her to be free with me as she is with you all. To talk to me as she does with you all. To think of me too as her friend. But no! Instead what she does is go to that sucker and get all smiley and-" he gestured with his hands, unable to find a term, "and get all everything with him," he heaved out a breath before continuing, "And you know what happened when I sat next to her in Lit. Class?" He waited a bit, and then said loudly, "She scooted away and was perched on the very edge as if I would swallow her whole!"

Gage and Dim looked at each other and then at Ian. Ian recognised pure boredom when it hit him in the face.

"What?" He exploded, "Cut it out. Say something guys!"

"If you want her to talk to you, you must try talking to her first," Dim said slowly as if trying to explain something to the village idiot.

Ian frowned, "I did talk to her. Several times."

"Talk! As in sweetly. Politely," Gage gestured with his hand, smiling hugely, and pointing at it with both his index fingers, "This is smile. When you talk you have to have it, if nothing else, pasted on your face. Does a lot good with improving the looks." He added.

"I know how to smile, Gage."

"Oh yes. You do! But you don't. At her. At Least not enough."

"What do you mean? Should I slaver all-" just as Ian was getting heated up, Dim interrupted him, keeping his calm self.

"What exactly did you say to her?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well," Ian raked his hand through his hair, "I just said that, it's your first day and look with whom you have been spending time with."

"That's not all, is it?" Gage asked.

"Umm...she looked somewhat puzzled but then I said that there were many other guys too," he shrugged.

"And?" Gage prompted.

"And - yes! And waiting for her attention. Yes! That's all I said and then she was like, she froze and then went into silent mode!"

Gage and Dim both looked at each other and then exploded together, "YOU IDIOT!"

"What?" Ian stopped cold.

"Yes. You heard right," Gage came nose to nose at him and he was forced to take an involuntary step back. "When you don't know anything about anyone, you just don't go around yammering and blabbering any comments about it."

Gage stopped, took a deep breath and started again, "You don't know her. No. Don't open your filthy mouth," he warned just as Ian was about to say something, "No! You know her name, you know she's your mother's friend's daughter, you know she lived in India. But you don't know the WHY in her life. Why did she come here? Why is she living with you? Why is she so good? You just splutter useless things about her all the time. And she? She's grateful to your mother, your father and most importantly, even to you. Why?
  Because she thinks you are sharing or are willing to share your parent's love, even if it’s just a little bit, with her, you are bearing it enough to let her live in the room across you. And just look what YOU did!" Gage stopped, breathing hard. His face was flush with the anger but never had his voice rose, his eyes were shooting fireballs at him but not once did he touch him. Ian thought Gage wanted to grind him just as he was grinding his teeth now.

Ian looked at him then at Dim. There was anger on Dim's face too. And that meant more than everything Gage had just said. Just the controlled fury in his eyes told Ian he had done wrong. And that made him feel guiltier than any of Gage's words had.

He swallowed the lump in his throat, "I am sorry. I didn't knew. But I swear I never meant to say anything mean to her. This time I was really talking about me. Indicating myself. I - I," he stuttered, looking down unable to say anything more.

Dim came forward, and placed his hand on Ian's shoulder, "Go. Talk to her. She needs some good things for life has been enough harsh to her."

Ian looked up at Dim and again at Gage. "Sorry Gage."

Gage just shook his head still breathing a bit hard but his jaw eased a bit.

"I'll make it up to her. I promise!"

"I trust you," Dim said, patting his shoulder, "Now go."

***
When Ian burst through the front door, his mother was just stretching out her hand to open it. She shrieked and took a few steps back, her hand on her chest. Then shouted, "Ian! How many times do I have to tell you to go slow for God's sake! You gave me a heart attack."

Ian looked at his Mom, and smiled despite himself, "Sorry Mom. Emergency!" He whispered the last part.

"Oh, grow up boy!" She slapped his arm and went out. Then said over her shoulder, "I'll be late, love."

"What about Dad?"

"He is coming with me later on. I need to go to the other town to buy some things. He'll drive me there. I can't believe, that fool of a mechanic said it will take a few more days to get my car done."

"Mom! Why don't you sell it? You know it's ancient!"

"No way! It’s my first love," saying so she walked away. Ian smiled at her back then closed the door.

He whistled as he walked towards the kitchen to grab a coke. Just as he was about to head in, his phone beeped. Pulling it out, he clicked open the message from Gage.

Talk first. Eat later.

Ian stared at the screen and then remembered. "Shit," he mumbled and ran back and up the stairs. He threw the backpack on his bed and went to Sonia's bedroom. The room was empty. He looked into the balcony. There was no one there too.