Chapter 4

After the men cleared the table, the dishes were stacked to be cleaned. It was a rule that one group cooked, the other cleared the table and the third did the dishes. After a very innate and a much-heated discussion amongst the five brothers, Jake was given the honour.

  Taking into consideration the huge pile of dishes and Jake's miserable face, Sonia offered to help him.

  They were at ease working in silence, Jake washing the dishes and Sonia drying them before putting them away. She was deep in her thoughts when Jake spoke, "It must be difficult being on your own."

  She looked up at him and shrugged, "Yes. A bit. But then you get used to it,” on seeing the look on his face, she added," But that doesn't seem to be a bother here."

   "Aye,” he passed her another dish.

The look in his eyes, made her reach out to him, "What's it, Jake?" she asked gently.

  "Do you have any siblings or cousins?" he asked, quietly.

   "No. I never got to know my family. I- I know them through my mother's stories,” she said, "But I found siblings in my friends,” A smile made its way on her face as she reminisced the memories.

  "I did not get that,” Jake let his confusion show on his face.

  "My mother's brothers didn't accept my mother or me. We both lived alone. My grandparents came to meet us occasionally. But not once did my uncles show up,” Sonia shrugged and dried another dish, "I had friends in school but the friendships didn't last long and I wasn't very close to them. The ones with whom you share your chocolates but not your problems," she turned to stack the dish away, "But then I graduated school and got admission in a college. My marks were more than the college was accepting, but I got in, anyway. Just call it fate or destiny; I ended up meeting this bunch of students who were also accepted in there like me. There was this one girl; we both looked a bit alike. We just had a casual talk one day and clicked right there with each other. We shared the same interests, hobbies. She would always say we are soul sisters. If I ever wished for a sister, she was the perfect package,” Sonia said a smile curving her lips.

  "What's her name?" Jake asked, a soft smile appearing on his face as well.

  "Jiya.”

   "No guy friends?” Interested in what she had to say, he began washing the dishes again.

  "Oh, there were many. Almost all my guy friends were like brothers to me and they too treated me like their baby sister."

  "No soul brother like Jiya?" he prodded to keep her talking.

  "There was one. Very much, like me. Not in looks, interests or hobbies, but in nature. I call him Dada,” she smiled her eyes already thousands of miles away, "Smiley Dada.”

   "What does Dada mean?" Curiosity was evident in his eyes.

   "Huh?" she snapped out of her memories, "Dada? Dada means elder brother."

  "And why Smiley?"

  "He always used to have a smile for everyone. Unless he was really pissed off. And I used the prefix ‘Smiley’ to get any work done or when he was angry with me. A smile and a long stretched ‘Sorry Smiley Dada’ melted away his anger," she said drawing the words out, the smile not leaving her face at any point.

   Jake had to laugh, "Certainly, if I had a sister who tells sorry like that, I won't be able to stay angry at her for another heartbeat,” he said, handing over more dishes to her, "And you got a hell of a good smile," he said grinning at her. His dimple flashing.

"Your's is not so bad, champ," she said.

  He threw back his head and laughed, “So how were you and your Dada alike?"

  "In a lot of ways.”

  "I figured one out. You too have a smile for everyone," he passed the last dish to her.

  "Looks like our task here is done,” Sonia dried the last plate and added it to the stack.

  "Yeah,” Jake replied and pulled out the bolt to drain the water. "Why don't we sit down and you can continue to tell me about your Dada.”

  "Why don't you sit down while I make some tea for everyone?" She dried her hands and put the dishcloth away. "Then if it's still not over, we can always continue another time."

  "Sounds good,” saying so, he went over and sat on a chair, "Please do continue."

  "Where were we?" She asked as she put a pot of water to boil on the stove.

  "Alikeness,” he answered like an attentive student.

  "You really were listening to me,” she said in astonishment.

   "Why wouldn't I?" Jake frowned.

  "No one has actually listened to me talk before," she explained quietly.

  "I am not anybody. I like to listen to people," he got up and sat on the counter, instead, “And it's feels nice listening to you. You got a sweet voice and that Indian accent," he smiled at her, "Now tell me before the tea is done."

  "Okay," she smiled to herself and turned to look at the simmering water, “Like you already figured out, we smiled a lot. Other than that, we liked to make friends and well some people said that we could charm anyone into talking to us."

"That may be true. You definitely charmed me into listening to you.”

She laughed, “We both had this habit of playing pranks on our friends."

"You will have to tell me about it sometime."

  "Sure, and then we shared this pride thing - if I did something wrong you can slap me and I won't so much as wince. However, if I am right and you so much as point a finger at me, then you are done for good. It's just intolerable.”

"And why should it be tolerated?"

  "That's the point!" she grabbed the jar of tea powder from a cabinet and added it to the boiling water after measuring it accurately, "Then, if we ever fought with someone, we would forget it in the very next second. Our anger subsides fast.”

  "No grudges,” He said nodding his head.

  "Yeah, no grudges. Ever."

   "You miss them,” he intended to ask but it came out more as a statement, making her look at him.

  "Yes, I do. But being around you all, not so much. That is until now," getting the cutlery, she began arranging everything on a tray.

  "Sonia?"

  "Hmm.”

  "Will you let me be your friend?" when she turned around to look at him, he jumped down from the counter and jammed his hands in his jean pockets, "I don't know if I can make you feel comfortable like Jiya or have so much in common with like your Da-",he paused, "You didn't tell me his name."

  "Karan.”

  "Sounds nice. So, I can't be like them but I can be a good friend. If you let me be."

  "You already are, Jake."

  "What?"

  "I already think of you as my friend. Or else I wouldn't have shared a single thing," that got a smile from him.

  "Okay, then you stick with me."

  "What?” she asked confused.

  "We both stay together. All the others always stay together- Ian and Gage, Dim and Emm. I am usually left out. So if we stay together, I won't be alone anymore."

   "Me too,” She said and picked up the tray, "We will form a great team, partner. Don't worry." A playful wink was sent in his direction, making him grin back at her.

  Sonia was certain that she would find some common things between Jake and her. After all, they had bonded in a little while. She offered him a smile when he held the door open for her.

  As she entered the living room, Gage shot up instantly to help her and Dim gave her a huge grin. When she handed Emm his cup, he winked at her playfully making her giggle.

   As for Ian, she sighed silently as he frowned at her. After all there is someone who dislikes me, she looked at him to know the reason for his behaviour but all she got in return was a confused face. She smiled at him but all he did was look over her head. Hurt, she turned away and avoided looking at him for the rest of the afternoon.

                             *****
  Thankyou all lovely people for still being here. If you like the story so far then don't forget to show your love. Vote, comment, share:)

Till we meet again:)

P.s   If you want to talk to someone, you can p.m me anytime. I will be there for you. Also if you have any incident of soul-friends you would like to share, feel free guys:)