Chapter 19

On the day of the funeral, we all gathered together. It was going to be a small ceremony. It was the usual group: Wanda, Vision, Tony, Pepper, Peter, Steve, Nat, Sam, Bucky, Me, Nanna, Loki, Thor, and Barton. We wanted to keep the group relatively small. T'Challa and Shuri sent their condolences earlier and our other friends, that knew Pietro, stopped by earlier or sent their love to Wanda and all of us some other way.

Wanda decided to have Pietro's body cremated. She said that Pietro would have wanted to have his remains scattered in the wind. Tony had a stone table engraved for a mark of our fallen heroes. It felt sad that we even needed that kind of a thing. The table had the Avengers' logo and a quote: "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear.". I think it was Steve and Bucky, who decided on the quote.

"I think it's time.", I said to Wanda, who was just sitting in the lounge with Pietro's urn in her hands. She lifted her head and looked at me with tears in her eyes. She nodded and stood up. I took her hand in mine and we started to walk towards the garden and the stone table. Barton was holding Wanda by her other arm. Everyone else followed us. Vision was right behind us, and after him came Tony, Pepper, and Peter. Bucky was helping Nat and Steve to get there. Steve was still in bad shape, which is a lot to say. Just like me and Bucky, Steve has the super soldier serum, which usually allows you to heal faster. But since it has been over week, I think that Steve is in worse shape that he lets us know. Loki and Thor are at the end of our little line, with Nanna.

When we get to the stone table, Wanda places the urn on the table and steps back to stand between Barton and Vision. Barton was supposed to say something, but he was in tears just like Wanda. I am standing right next to Bucky and leaning on him a little bit. I need his support right now. During the pregnancy and right after it, Pietro and I got close. He was really a true friend to me, and he was always so good to Nanna. I can't believe that he is really gone. We are standing silently because no one knows what to say. I look at Wanda and Barton, and he is looking at me and nodding. I think he wants me to say something.

I cough a little and start to speak, while everyone looks at me, "I think that all of you can relate to the fact that today we are saying goodbye to a dear friend, brother and a person, who always put everyone else first. Pietro was someone who always knew how to make you smile, even when you were having the worst day. He had an amazing personality, and he was always there for his family and friends. I will never forget your smile, your presence, or the friendship that we shared. I saw your kindness when you were playing with Nanna, and I saw your loving heart when you were with your sister Wanda. I can't thank you enough for our friendship. I will never forget you.". I wipe my tears and then continue. "During my last trip to Asgard, I came upon a book in my mother's study. I looked at that book this morning and I saw a writing that made me think of Pietro. I'd like to share it with you. 'Warriors are not always the fastest or the strongest men. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that they love and hold sacred.' You were a noble man that protected those you loved. You have proven your worth as a warrior, and you will be welcomed to Valhalla as a hero. I know that there we will meet again in the end.", I say my goodbyes and nuzzle to Bucky. He holds me in a tight grip and kisses my forehead.

After me, Barton started to talk about Pietro and their relationship. Barton had become like a big brother to Wanda and Pietro. Wanda was last to speak. I think that she was gathering her strength and courage to speak about her feelings. She talked about Pietro, and what he was like when they were growing up. I looked at my brothers hoping that I could have grown up with them. Wanda then reads a poem for his brother.

I'd rather let it be than lose the memory of you
The sun out of my reach is what you are
The sweet angel I pray at night
to allow me to see your smile

That smile that covers my heart
that stops it from shaking
that covers it from the cold
that builds up in constant longing
as none can compare to that sweet grief
that abducts my peace with glorious eyes.

After that, she took the urn from the stone table. She looked at it and looked around. It was calm day so there was no wind. I knew that Pietro's wish would have been to be let go and follow the wind. Wanda told that to me and Nat. I look at her disappointment when she thought that she couldn't give that to her brother. I step away from Bucky. I look at Wanda and close my eyes. With my powers, I think I am able to fulfill Pietro's last wish.

In just seconds, a wind blew some hair away from Wanda's face. She looked at me and smiled. I opened my eyes and smiled at her. She stepped little bit further from everyone else. She opened the urn and tipped it a little bit. I used my powers and made the wind pick up some of the ashes. They were dancing in the air. I made sure that the wind picked up some little leaves and flowers to fly with Pietro's ashes. Wanda was speaking to the wind in Russian. That was their native language, and I can tell that she was saying something beautiful, because Nat and Bucky both got tearful, and they aren't the ones that usually get emotional.

The rest of the ashes were placed in the urn next to the stone table. Tony had a see-through casing made for the urn. It was there so that everything would withstand the weather changes. Everything looked beautiful. The flowers that Pepper brought for the table, the urn in the casing, and the goodbyes that we got to say to our loved one before his last trip. For a while we just stood there and looked at each other. Wanda wanted to stay there for a while. We left her and Vision there and headed back inside the compound. Pepper, the only one that has any ability to take care of everyone and organize everything perfectly, had order us some foods. We sit there at the kitchen table, eating, raising toasts to Pietro's life and to the Avenger-family.

After dinner, Loki, Thor, and Barton left to go to their homes. Bucky helped Steve to his room. Peter went home to his Aunt, and Tony and Pepper, who lived in the Stark tower, not the compound, left also. Me and Nat made sure that Wanda was ok and that there wasn't anything that she needed. She told us that she just needs time. She left with Vision and went to sleep. Me and Nat cleared the table while Nanna was sitting in her chair and looking at a kids book that Pietro and Wanda got her when she was born. We talked for a while about Steve. "He isn't going to sit down and rest, is he?", I asked from Nat. She looked at the table and shook her head. She wasn't happy about that, but I knew that she wouldn't say anything about it to Steve. Nat was worried that she might drive him away from her. "I think that you should ask Bucky to talk to him. Steve might listen to him.", I suggested. She looked at me and just said, "That is a good idea.". I promised that I would also speak with Bucky about Steve. Maybe Steve will speak with Bucky about something that he wouldn't speak with me or Nat.

I warmed up a bottle of milk, and then picked up Nanna. We turn off the lights and head to bed. Bucky had returned from helping Steve and he was just sitting on our bed when we got to our room. He looked at us and smiled because Nanna was yawning so cutely. I change her diaper and clothes, put her to her crib and give her the bottle. She falls asleep almost immediately after drinking the milk. We stood next to the crib and just look at her sleeping. I don't remember when we last did that. I look at Bucky and kiss him. We get ready to go to sleep and after I braided my hair, I climb to the bed and go lay right next to him.

He was deep in his thought. I have rested my head on his chest, and I was holding my hand right next to my head on his chest. He was moving his fingers on my skin. It was almost if he was just hovering his hand above my skin and letting him touch me only here and there. It felt soft and gentle. He was doing it only on a small area of my shoulder, but I could feel the tingling all over my body. I looked at him and noticed that he was staring at the ceiling. I returned my head to his chest and closed my eyes. I don't know what he was thinking, but right on that moment, I didn't care. I felt good, peaceful, and loved. I wanted to stay like that forever. I kissed gently his chest. Right before I fell asleep, I felt his lips on my forehead and I heard him telling me that he loves me. I knew that it was safe to drift into a dream and that feeling was all thanks to him.