pure

BILLIE's pov
I come back into my living room to see my 5 year old daughter, Amelia, crying and throwing a fit in my wife's arms. Darian caresses her back in attempts to soothe her.

"I got your applesauce Meilia what's wrong?" I sit her applesauce on the table.

She throws a teddy bear in my direction.

"Hey, don't throw things at people Meila." Darian says.
"Why is she crying baby?" I ask my wife.
"You're married to momma." she cries.
"Yes I am married to your momma, my love."

I sit next to D on the couch, putting my arm on the back side of the sofa, and kiss her shoulder. She smells good. She just took a shower so her skin is smooth and warm. I lean closer to her and kiss her neck.

"No! Stop it mommy!" Amelia pushes my shoulder. Darian holds her away from me while saying, "Mei what did I just say? Don't hit your mother. Say sorry."

"No!" she shouts.
"Amelia." Darian says sternly.
"Its okay babe." I tell her.
"No its not she cant hit you like that."

I sigh and pick her up out of Darian's lap.

"She's right we need to talk it out, Melia." I say in a sarcastic, serious voice.

She's still crying so I rock her in my arms a bit while walking her to the little toddler table. She sits in her chair and I hand her the applesauce. With a few pulls from the pouch, she's ready to get down to business. Amelia insists that Darian sits with us too. She pulls up another mini chair. I hope these shits hold our weight.

"So, whats up Mel?" I say. "Why are you mad that I'm married to momma?"
"Because now I can't marry her!" She's just angry now oh my.
"Well, I got her first Amelia. She's mine." I stick my tongue out at her and then cross my arms, leaning back in the chair
"Billie!" Darian hits my arm lightly and laughs.
"She loves me more mommy." She says.
"Well, you got me there." I put my hands up in defeat.
"Why do you wanna marry me Melia?" Darian says.
"Cause I love momma. I wanna be with her forever." she looks sad.

I don't think she understands what marriage is. I mean, thats obvious but I think she associates it with forever. D and I glance at each other. I scoot my chair closer to her and we intertwine our hands.

"Amelia you'll be with momma forever. You're our baby." I say.
"Yeterday you told me that momma proposed to you. So she will be with you forever. But no one propose to momma so who will be with her forever? She gonna be old and wrinkly and alone."

We both chuckle lightly at her interpretation.

"Im serious moms."
"We know baby." Darian says.

She holds her hand out over the table and holds Melia's.

"Well, I did propose to your mommy but she proposed back. She agreed to marry me which meant that we made a very important promise Mei. We promised to take care of each other, forever no matter what." Darian explains.
"Yes, and just because you wanna be with someone forever doesn't mean you have to be married baby. Being married, Melia, is a different kind of love thats why I married your momma. And why you cant." I pitch in.

I protectively wrap my arms around Darian and make a face at Amelia jokingly. She laughs and I admire her face. She's so pretty. I give her kisses on her face.

"What kind of love is it?"
"I dont think you'll understand right now Amelia, but i'll explain okay?" I say. "You can love anyone but then someone special comes around and you fall in love with them. They're someone super special. Someone that you'd wanna make a family with."
"Yeah like your grandma Maggie and Grandpa Patrick. They really love each other and made a family with each other and had uncle Finn and mommy Billie." Darian says.
"And your Grandma Maggie also loves her friend Lynn right?" I say.

Amelia shakes her head yes.

"She doesn't love her like she loves Grandpa. She wouldn't kiss her and shit."

Darian chuckles and reminds me to watch my language.

"I get it. Sorry for trying to steal your woman mommy."
"It's okay baby. I really love momma, I'd be mad if someone was in the way too." I kiss Amelia's forehead.
"But you guys can sharee I love cuddles with both of you. You just cant marry me Melia." Darian clarifies.
"Im fine with that momma!" She smiles.

Amelia goes off and plays. I sigh in relief and sit on the bar stool of our kitchen. Kids are so pure. A lot of kids actually think of marriage as just a way to show love. I'm impressed that Amelia thought deeper and was able to explain her thought. It was mostly in broken toddler talk but... she got her point across.

That conversation really made me think about how I love Darian and why I do. It's so easy to see how anyone could. You could love everything about her.

She walks over to me and smiles as she presses a kiss against my lips. I pull her between my legs and stand her as close to me as she can get. I wrap my arms around her.

"Smart kid we got there huh?" She mumbles against my lips. She leans down to kiss me again and I smile into it.
"Yeah. Crazy morning."

I remember why I love her though. No one can see her the way I do. I think that's really interesting. No matter how much you know someone you can never really see them as vulnerable as their partner will. I see every side of Darian and I love it all. No one can see these moments how sweet she can be with our daughter, how patient she is. No one else can see her in the morning like me or see the smile on her face when she touches me. I fell in love with every part.

She leans down again to kiss me but I stand up and lift her onto the counter.

"Bruh that scared me." She chuckles.
"Sorry, pretty girl."

I finally give her the kiss she was trying to give me. She puts her arms on my shoulders and I hold her waist close to me. I slide my tongue across her lips and taste her for a little before pulling away.

"I love you." I whisper.
"I love you."

We sit there in silence for a little before I feel her pull a strand of my hair behind my ear. My ponytail had fallen out a little.

"Happy anniversary by the way Mrs. O'Connell." She tells me.
"Happy anniversary Mrs.O'Connell."