Day 4

A nightguard to protect unknown entities.

At this point, I wonder if they're the ones who truly need protection...

~*~*~*~*~
Your POV
~*~*~*~*~

I sigh, rubbing my forehead and gritting my teeth some.

Slowly I sit up with my phone hand.

"I promised didn't I...." I mumble softly to myself.

I open my phone scrolling until I reach my contacts app, I tap and begin scrolling lower and lower until I reach the near end of the list.

I pause, debating my options with shaking hands.

I'll just have to bargain... With no savings money except... That, I don't have any other choice...

I tap the call button and listen. Waiting.

Embarrassingly, I start praying for the call to go to voicemail. I didn't want to deal with this, even if have to.

"(Name)?" The voice asked

I cringe, licking my lips. Darnit, darn it all! I was betrayed again by lady luck!

"Hello?" Their voice asked again.

Just suck it up. "...hey yeah"

"Oh! I thought yo-"

I interrupt, "I'm going to get to the point, I need a favor..."

Their voice stuttered to silence before I heard a hum as a sign to continue.

"I... had an attack last night-"

"What?!? When, why?!? I thought your health was in the clear, why so suddenly?!"

I suck in a sharp breath, "don't start coddling me." I hated this.

I hate being cared for by those people. It's fake, full of other motives.

None of those people in that part of a society truly care about anything other than how much money they get to keep in their pockets.

It's fake. Fake and cold.

"I don't want it to hear it, especially not from you." My tone was cold and icy.

Anyone from the outside would be confused. Nobody I care about has ever heard me sound like this, like them.

Cold.

And I want to keep it that way, so I'll have to end this quick.

"I just need a checkup doc. Nothing more so don't bother."

I heard them sigh, they should be disappointed in expecting more. Like I'd ever give them chance...

"Is... That it? Nothing else?" They asked in a... Strange tone.

My jaw clenched, "nothing but to keep it from their ears."

Another sigh came. "Okay, you got it, madam. Please come by at 2 o'clock."

Unsurprisingly, I sighed too, pulling the phone from my ear.

I have to relax, it's been years... I don't have to forgive, I just can't get pent up like this...