Chapter 37

I arrived early in the regional trial court and prepared my documents to face the one who made Lura question her worth. Pumasok na ako sa courtroom at naabutan si Achi na naghihintay roon. He nodded at me before sitting in his place.

I left the unit when Lura was still asleep. I am also aware that she wasn't able to sleep properly last night because this is the last trial and me being fucked up simply means that I just showed her the bad side of injustices in the system, which she is clearly aware of.. Fausto with his hands cuffed, together with his attorney entered the courtroom.

The three of us know whether Fausto is guilty or not, the fourth one is the judge. Pero mapapamura talaga ako nang ilang ulit kung matalo pa. I can't fuck with this trail, I simply can't. Not when I have all the evidence and want only the justice for my love.

There are three attorneys on my back, but then, the dirty game is played. Alam ko kung paano maglaro ang mga ayaw tumanggap ng parusa ng hukom, pero mas gugustuhin ko na maging panatag kahit papaano. This is not a simple case, not just with the basis of the death threats that I received and still receives, but because I just couldn't stomach the thought of losing this, the case which I would exchange my career for. No one is to blame in case I stutter and don't manage to shake the foundation of the accused but me.

Kargo ko ang lahat.

I simply glanced at Zara who's at the bench. Nakita ko na nakatingin ang kaibigan sa akin. Takot siya, pero hindi dahil sa titig niya, kung hindi dahil baka magkamali ako.

My friends and I have been careful during the previous trials. A single knot would pull us down into failure and no one wants that to happen.

When the arrival of the judge was announced, I stood up while looking at Fausto. The man seems to be confident. This sight of him makes me rage in madness.

Inayos ko ang suit bago umupo muli. Tumingin ang juddge sa accused. "Alright, Good morning Sir, you appeared."

Hindi umimik si Fausto, wala sigurong masabi dahil sa kagaguhan niya. 

"Shall we start?"

Sinabi ng judge ang progress ng kaso at ang nangyari sa previous trials. Matapos magsalita, tinanong niya ako kung may ipapasa bang ebidensya. Tumayo ako bago tumingala sa hukom.

"I hand this document that states the time interval of the crime and Mr. Amezquita's whereabouts."

Hindi ko iyon pinapakita, ngayon pa lang. Ang una kong tinutukan ay ang mga illegal na gawain ng lalaki kung saan magmumukhang matatalo ako sa kaso dahil halos wala iyong kinalaman sa ginawa nito kay Lura.

"Is this related to Miss Cisneros' testimony during the previous trial?"

The judge was pertaining to a witness who testified against Fausto.

"I agree, Your Honor."

The judge asked me some questions that have been dealt with during the previous hearing. He then put the documents on his side and called him.

"Private prosecutor, do you have anything to say against the defense?"

Mabilis akong tumayo. "Yes, Your Honor."

I walked towards the judge and engaged in a small talk with him. When I got back to my place, I confidently fixed the crease on his suit. I haven't dropped the last bomb yet.

"Your Honor, I call my witness," I said.

Tinignan ko ang reaction ni Fausto na hindi naman nagulat pero nakitang kinabahan ang abogado nito. Seconds later, the witness was called to testify. Nag "State your name."