Chapter 15

"Nice game!"

For the past weeks, I've been busy focusing on my dream and ambitions. After our finals week, tinutukan ko na ang professional team. I also get to be with my cousins and family often. Even though the training schedule is quite hectic, I love what I'm doing so everything's all good.

Mama keeps on asking me about my debut and I just want to spend that day particularly with my family. That makes me cry during my birthdays, their teasing words and compliments that are fake per se. Really, but still, I would rather choose to be with them.

"Sukatin mo nga kung kasya."

It's already lunch and gowns are displayed here in our living room. There's a mestiza type of filipiniana gown because when Mama asked me what I've been thinking of, I told her about the Spanish era.. historical, something like that.

Pumunta ako sa bathroom bitbit ang damit at ingat na ingat because I don't know when Mama will be able to reach my head at mabatukan ako kapag nagkulang ang beads at hinatak ko lang ang damit sa bigat. Mama was knocking, telling me to open the door but I didn't because I'm still changing my clothes. Sinukat ko ang dress at sinara ang zipper mag-isa. I faced the full-length mirror in the bathroom and was astonished by what I saw.

The gown is white with silver beads and laces. It hugs my body perfectly with the square neck design and sheath type of dress. I literally screamed when I saw the backless design when I turned my back and looked at myself in the mirror. Binuksan ko na ang pinto at napangiti si Mama sa nakita.

"Maria Clara sa harap, hubadera sa likod. Kung hindi ko pa tinignan ang progress ng gawa, hindi ko pa malalaman na binilin mo sa designer na backless 'yan!" Natatawa siya habang tinitignan ako sa salamin.

"Ang anak ko, dalaga na.."

I weirdly looked at her and left her there, hanging. Parang ano, may oras pa siya mag drama. When will I get used to it whenever my birthday is fast approaching?

Kinabukasan na agad ang debut that's why we stayed in the five star hotel where the event will happen. Mama even pulled me to a mall and did some stuff for me like manicure, pedicure, lash lift even though I don't really need it, and something about brows. I want to say na maganda na ako but still, I missed her spoiling me like this.

We kept my nails colorless for the 'simplicity' that I want to express along the gown that I will use. When I woke up, I even felt something cold on my face and I realized that she put a sheet mask on me. Sinabi niya sa akin na papunta na ang mga make-up and hair stylist ko kaya naligo na ako agad. It took them an hour para ayusan ako at ang buhok. I was wearing a robe the whole time until it's an hour before the event and I was told to wear my gown with the Givenchy white beaded heels.

Pumunta ako sa venue at binati ang mga bisita na maagang nakarating. My cousins and whole family are wearing barong tagalog and modern baro't saya. Alam ko na kung sino ang mga hindi makakapunta sa kaibigan ko kaya hindi ko na din sila hinanap. After the short prayer and welcome speech of my parents with crying session with them, I had a special number with Papa and we danced in our traditional clothes.

I planned to do this with Daddy then him but sadly, siya na lang ang nandito.

After that, I changed my gown to a beige spaghetti strap with glitters and still, it's backless. I had my grand entrance for it while wearing the same shoes. I sat on a couch, in the middle of the stage while a video presentation was playing. There's another one for my photoshoot, both traditional and modern.

My cousins, friends and I danced for a cotillion, and we were laughing while doing it, even during the practice. Papa was called for my first dance for the 18 roses. He was crying and we all laughed it out.