28: Even On Break It's Not Break

Grey's POV

~~~

My bare fist pounds against the heavy bag, the only thing I could hear was my heavy metal music throbbing against my eardrums. I only paused from releasing all frustrations when Yenna hugged me from behind. I jump startled, almost elbowing whoever just grabbed me. 

"Yenna?" I take out my ear buds and wrap the cord around my neck loosely. 

"HEY'O" she grins cheerfully. She bounced back out of the hug, releasing tension she had perhaps in self defense if I did hit her by accident. 

"What's up? I haven't seen you in a bit."

She huffs, "I know. My parents have been up my ass about the Olympics again. Trials are already about to start and I'm a nervous wreck as is."

I chuckle and she punched me lightly. "I'm not laughing at the situation! More so you thinking you WON'T get into the next Olympics. You are already the best in the sport in New England, you got gold in Chelyabinsk Wolds Champion Ship. What are they bugging you about?"

"Mainly not practicing enough," she rolled her eyes. She holds her arms and begins air quotes, "You're going to get too old to be the 'best in the sport'. There are so many other kids on team USA that are younger and just as skilled."

"Bullshit," I shake my head. Yenna nods agreeing. "Well, I think I've punched enough for one day, wanna get some bubble tea?"

She shakes her head, "Don't you have a match tomorrow with someone?"

I wave it off as I unravel the tape around my hands and wrist. "Just enough to keep me in shape and to enjoy some off time for once now that we have some time. Too bad it's already just about over." 

"Do you have any plans for New Years Eve tonight?" she helps me pack a few of my things.

"Nah, no complaints on that honestly. Wouldn't mind keeping it lowkey with a bag of chips, PJs, hot cocoa, and my bed."

"What about a New Year's kiss?" she wiggles her eyebrows.

"Bleh," I shove her. "Not even trying to deal with that either."

"Really?! Is there absolutely no one you'd smooch?" she leans in obnoxiously. 

I try to ignore her but I feel my face radiate. 

"OO! Liar," she draws out the word while poking my arm. "Okay okay, let me guess then? Kevin?"

"Oh god no."

"Hm, true, he's more like your puppy and I think he likes your buddy anyway."

"Gina? Obviously!" I chuckle, "They're such a good match - would be so cute to see them together officially."

"Okay so if it's not Kevin..." her eyes begin staring deeply - where I feel her burning through my brain and into my soul. "Tristan Walsh?! You like him?"

I stumble back, "Whoa whoa, where did you come to that conclusion?" My heart races and I feel my face deepen into a radiant red. 

She grins successfully, "First rule of Tae Kwon Do! The only way you can win is by intimidating your opponent to the point their brain would rather melt in defeat than to even think about fighting back!" She throws her fists up in the air, applauding herself. "You know that the eyes are the window to the soul? Well, for someone with a secret identity, I can read you like an open book."

I pout embarrassed, "I am not an open book. That's rude. Second, I don't think that's a rule.."

"Well, it's my rule and I'm an Olympian so I'm obviously doing something right. But you on the other hand," she gestures to me head to toe, "need to not worry about this damn match just like me not worrying about Olympics! Tonight, some of my friend are looking to go to a party and I think this whole town's youth really needs to drink out their problems. We need to leave the tragedies behind for last year and move into the new year with happiness!"