7: This Is How I Roll

Grey's POV

~~~

So, I actually did join the soccer team as manager. There are still tryouts but I already know who made or didn't make the cuts. Most made JV or freshman but Kevin Michaels got Varsity. And I'm pretty proud of him. He's really humble about his skills but if there were scouts looking at our soccer games, he could go pro. He was fast, almost faster than Tyler Otto. And he had stamina. So he's great for varsity midfielder. The coach, Coach Ben Olsen, actually was a pro and coached the D. C. United team. And then I'm there so the team is in good hands this year. Today, is Wednesday, September 13th, 2016 in good old South Portland, Maine. This place was old but being on the shore, I really didn't care.

Lemme go all history lesson on you. In 1630, it was settled upon, and grew in size quickly. In 1724, it was raided by Native American Indians. t was established in 1895 as a town then as a city 1898. It's in Cumberland county. Now let's add tragedy because every place has something sad in it's past. On July 11, 1944, U.S. Army Lt. Phillip "Phee" Russell was attempting to land his Douglas A-26 Invader at the Portland-Westbrook Municipal Airport. However, Russell lost control of the plane and crashed into a trailer park in South Portland's Brick Hill neighborhood. Nineteen people were killed and twenty people were injured — mostly the families of South Portland shipyard workers — making it the worst aviation accident in Maine history A Long Creek Air Tragedy Memorial was eventually erected to commemorate the crash and honor the victims, but not until 66 years later. Okay there I'm done geeking out.

Coach Olsen blew his whistle hard and everyone stopped their drills. "Alright, boys. Listen to your name and position. If you aren't called, no complaints. Pull your pants up and leave and better luck next year. Okay, Miss. Carson."

I cleared my throat and fixed my glasses, "All right. Junior Varsity first. Vincent Hewitt, Left Center Defense. Tucker Aylmer, Right Forward. Caleb Lyon, Center Midfield. Justin Brannon, Right Center Defense. Emmett Cook, Left Forward. Andy Cook, Center Forward." I paused as they cheered excitedly. "Next, Varsity. Kian North, Left Defense. Freddie Warren, Right Midfield. Neal Dukes, Left Midfield. And last but not least, Kevin Michaels, Center Midfield. All Freshman are on the Freshman team with Coach Shaw."

"If you didn't hear your name, please leave now," Olsen looked at me giving me his car keys. "Grab the bags."

I nodded and walked off the field and unlocked the trunk for his red 2016 Shelby Mustang GT500. Such a beautiful car. Inside were three large black trash bags that were stuffed with uniforms. I easily lifted all three out and slung them over my shoulder onto my back. I walked back to the field, adjusting the grip a few times to make it look like it took more strength out of it than it really did. I dropped them on the ground and gave him back his car keys. "Okay, Freshman you're up first," Coach Olsen shouted and I opened the bag that said FR.

"Strudwick, #16. Daniels, #6. Hinrichs, #23. Tipton, #17. Warner, #25. Synder, #28. Odell, #19. Shelby, #11. Major, #8. Sala, #7..." For each one, I handed them a maroon Adidas backpack with their uniform inside with warm up gear -sweatpants and hoodie.

"JV! Hewitt, #10. Aylmer, #18. Lyon, #9. Brannon, #27. Emmett Cook, #14. Andy Cook, #15." They JV bags were also maroon, but they had the school's name and on the front pocket.

"Varsity! North, #18. Warren, #12. Dukes, #13. Michaels, #5." Varsity had black backpacks with silver trim and their number in silver and bolded. They were definitely the more expensive ones. As I gave Kevin his back, he smiled happily.

"Thanks, Grey," he said quietly.

I smiled back and the boys conversed quietly in their groups. The former players already had their bags and were wearing their warm up clothes for as long as practice had started last week. Tristan, Tyler, and Mark welcomed Kevin, Freddie, Kian, and Neal happily. The Varsity team was small and had only 18 players. JV and Freshman had around 30. Coach blew his whistle again, disrupting social time. "Those who have odd numbers, congrats, you're on the starting string. Even numbers, you will play too, but you're replacements. I'll let your Captains talk to you."