10: Fight Night Part One

Ryan's POV

~~~

Tonight is the first match of the tournament. Am I worried? Just a little bit, I've trained non stop for nearly a month. I can do this. But damn, the thought of getting knocked out again is actually terrifying.

I sat at my desk behind Gina and Grey, both were engrossed in their conversation, I didn't bother to annoy them. What were we doing again? Mrs. Moore stood in front with a smile, "Good morning, students. Today, we're doing an experiment." Most of the class perked up. This is what everyone gets all hyped up about. They hear stories about the crazy blowing up chemistry experiments and are crazy eager to blow something up themselves. Not that I can argue with that. "We're going to be separating sand, rocks, and magnetic files," she said excitedly. Seriously? Most of the class groaned and put their heads down. She frowns at the lack of enthusiasm the class had. "Anyway, get a partner and I'll give you your tools and the materials." Parker and I made eye contact and he shifted to Kyle's empty seat. He's not here yet but that isn't out of the ordinary.

Gina and Grey smiled at each other and giggled at nonsense. Mrs. Moore brought each pair a cup filled with the 3 materials she just said. She left and returned bring everyone a balloon, those sand shaker rock things, and a filter with filter paper. Parker and I looked at each other unimpressed. So together, we tried. And when I say we tried, we got another group to do it for us. Grey and Gina finished early and talked about books. And I don't know why, but latterly, the urge to annoy her and piss her off has vanished.

I was flooded with relief when class ended until I felt Marina's manicured hands crawl onto my chest and arm. "Ryan," Marina chirps. Fucking bird.

"Yes?" I force a small smile but even that was hell.

"I'm having a party tonight, you should come," she caressed up and down my bare arm. I pull it away.

"I'm busy."

She pursed her lips, "Oh, really?"

"Yes really. Can you just leave me alone for once?"

Her eyes narrowed, "Seriously?"

"Seriously. Ta-ta," I mocked as she turns on her heels leaving. I smiled. The air has lifted.

After gym and no sign of Kyle, I just assumed he skipped today or felt liked shit. I pulled out my phone in my math class and texted him.

To: Kyle

Hey, you good? Haven't seen you today

"Excuse me," the math substitute teacher breathed over my shoulder. "Give me your phone." The air was sucked out of the room when everyone inhaled sharply, not daring to take a breath.

"Excuse me?" I raise my eyebrow at the 50 year old baldy.

"Texting isn't allowed in school. You, as a student, should be aware of this." He held out his hand and actually expected me to give it to him.

I smiled at him sweetly, "Do you know my name?"

"No, I'm merely a substitute teacher."

"You should really know my name. There's a form of fear behind it," my sweet smile morphed into one of mischief. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it, and as I got up, I pulled it behind his back. His eyes nearly bulged out of his bifocals. "Ryan Tanner, sir. Remember it when you visit town again." I forced him away and I grabbed my bag leaving the class room.

"Ryan!" Parker jogged over out of breath. "I've been looking for you!"

"Why?" I asked confused.