21: Upon Arrival

Grey's POV

After getting back to South Portland, it was weird. Something was wrong.

I couldn't shake the feeling away that something terrible is waiting for me. And this feeling traveled with me from the airport, to my house, and up to the steps of the high school the following day. I kept looking over my shoulder hesitating on my movements and with every step I took.

"Grey?" I jumped swinging my backpack off my shoulder to attack whoever spoke to me. Which happened to be Tristan. "FUCK!" he drops to the ground, my bag barely missing his head.

"Tristan! I'm sorry!" I bend down helping him up. "I'm so so sorry, are you okay?"

"Yeah, are you okay?" he gets up and dusts himself off. Because high school floors are dirtier than a prison.

"Something just doesn't feel right. I don't know what it is."

He frowns slightly, "Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Is it only me or is it quiet?"

I didn't even realize how right he was. You could hear a pin drop in the halls. And it was between classes which is beyond odd. You didn't hear lockers slamming shut, shuffling of feet, that one kid running late to class, papers falling about, and loud conversations about nothingness. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

"What happened in a day?"

He shrugged then pulls some guy from the football team aside. "Hey, why is everyone so weird?"

"Quiet?" Tristan and I both nodded. "Jackson Adams and Marina Waters were killed in a car accident yesterday," the football jock squeezes away leaving quickly.

Jackson Adams, I haven't seen him in a while, mainly because he was busy with being the football team's quarterback and I was busy managing the soccer team. Marina Waters is another story. She has always been a terrible person, but I don't think I could wish her ever dying in such a terrible, painful, and horrific manner. I know for a fact.

The memories of the car accident hit hard again. Like getting punched in the face but at least when I'm in a fight I can see the punches coming for the most part. But not now. It wasn't expected at all.

"Jackson?" I heard Tristan mutter and he leaned against the lockers in a daze. I knew Tris and Jack were friends. I mean, they sat with me in the first week of school when they were trying to get me to join football or soccer.

"Tristan...I'm-"

"I'll catch you later, Grey." He disappears into the sea of solemn students.

We all felt the silence of Marina's high pitched squeals and shouts, her sighs of annoyance, and the lack of bitch aura in the air. Today would perhaps be the only day where that would occur.

"Grey?" Kevin says from behind me, and I turn looking at him. Thank god I've been able to contain myself from punching anyone who has been surprising me.

"Yeah?"

"Have you heard what had happened? To Jackson and Marina?"

"Yeah, I just heard about. It's crazy..."

"It was out of nowhere...I can't believe it happened." I tense up because that's what everyone had been saying after the accident with Patrick and Ella. Kevin notices my tension and sighs, "Sorry, this must be a lot harder for you. You've gone through this before. You know this pain on a personal level."

I nodded, "It's a little tough, all that how everyone is saying that same things that they've been saying to me. Thankfully I wasn't nearly as close to them. Especially Marina. But it's still shit."