26: Crunch Time

Grey's POV

~~~

My head whips to Gina, "What are those bimbos talking about?" Gina shrugs, her face just as bewildered as mine. I scan the cafeteria with everyone just as confused as we were. Where did this come from? How did they hear about it?

"I wouldn't be surprised it was Ryan, he dated Marina didn't he? You always suspect the spouse." I hear the conversation from a group of girls sitting behind us.

"They weren't married though!"

"So? Why should that matter? They were still a couple! Plus she was with Jackson too."

"Oh my god, do you think he killed them both because he was jealous?"

"That would make soo much sense!"

"Right. I believe."

"Me too."

The chatter in the room only built up from there where I could barely think. Would Ryan really kill them? I bite my lip, eating away at any dead skin it may have. I mean, he did threaten me and he can be violent. My hands clasp around each other reassuringly, rubbing my palm against the top of my hand, fingers intertwining around one another. Could Ryan kill me to? Would I be next? I am the reason so much of this happened. Had I just turned down the fight and stepped off my high-horse, this all could have been avoided. Stupid! Stupid! Stu-

"Grey." Gina was now sitting next to me. "You're bleeding."

"Huh?" After returning to reality, I felt the pain on my lip. I touch it with my index finger and held it out, revealing the metallic crimson drop. I lick my lips until I could find a napkin, but Gina was already bringing one to my face, wiping it away. 

"Let's get out of here, the food sucks more than usual today anyway." 

I nod and we make our way out of the room, throwing out the left over food that was most certainly not the least bit appetizing now. "Should I text the guys?"

She shook her head. "Really no need, they'll find out and I honestly don't want to listen to anymore about it. South Portland is going to shit."

"You can say that again."

We wander the halls, just settling on going to the bathroom for the remainder of lunch. I really don't want to go to class early today. 

We go into the handicap stall and lock it, sitting in there together. We both bring our knees to our chests, holding them tightly into us. "And we still have applications to worry about."

She exhaled loudly, visibly stressed. "I know. I don't even know where to begin with my essay." 

"I have an idea, but I'm more worried about where I want to go."

"I guess all we can do is Google then take a shot into the dark," she smiled. 

~~~

Prompt #1

I watched while they covered the polished chestnut coffin with a miscellany of soil, rocks, weeds, and the other remains of creatures that roamed this earth just as he once did. I was the last one to leave, staying to watch each and every dumping shovel, covering the polished chestnut coffin. I couldn't leave a flower behind, my brother would laugh at me saying that a man wouldn't want flowers but I should know better, everyone likes receiving a rose. I refused to accept his death, to believe it was him and not me who was able to continue their life; to accept a death I had not seen coming, to believe that the moment I was with him dissipated and stole a beloved life.