Newspaper

Brad and I come upon the worn down police department. It's in the middle of nowhere and people rarely visit.

The wood was chipping off, barely any cop cars in the parking spaces, the flowers in the flowerpot were dead from lack of water and nutrients.

A officer in the regular police uniform greets me at the glass doors by giving me a smile and is nice enough to hold the door open for us.

"Hello ma'am." A woman police officer behind a desk welcome.

"I'm Maddie Grace. I'm here to pick up a white Malibu."

"Okay, I'll see what I can to about it." The woman puts her thin glasses on and goes through a vanilla colored folder that contains paperwork from everything that has happened before.

"Sign here and the last page." She hands me basically a packet with small printed out words.

I grab the pen and sign my signature on the first and last page.

The woman takes the papers and checks it.

"Listen sweetheart, I'm so sorry about what happened. It will most probably be in the newspaper tomorrow. I remember your dad, Mr. Grace. He was nice. Now it's your mom." She gives me a sympathy look.

I fake a smile and give her a look that says I'm stronger than you think.

"Well, thanks. I was wondering, did y'all happen to find anymore of my dad's belongings? Anything? Even if it's just a pen, I still want it."

"Honey, that happened almost two years ago." The female officer says.

"I know, but there was still a ton of stuff missing. What about what he was wearing?" I ask.

"Ma'am, I'll see what I can do."

"I need to know, now. Right this second."

The woman officer went into a room while the officer that greeted Brad and me at the door directed us into a waiting room.

It was bare, white walls with no pictures, just grey chairs lined up against the wall, waiting to be sat on.

I sit on the closest one near the desk and Brad sits beside me.

"What is it about your dad?" Brad asks me.

"I want to see if he kept his promise."

"What promise?"

I was about to say the answer,but the woman officer walked into the room with a medium size plastic bag.