My Brother

I take a tiny sip of my coffee, burning the end of my tongue.

I jolted back slightly, I wasn't expecting that. Luckily, Brad didn't notice.

I sigh, "Brad, let's do this question game one at a time and just get this over with."

I feel like I'm interrogating him. First, I wanted to ask him about the kiss and then about the man in his nightmare, Jim.

Brad folds his arms, looking like a child, and looks down at his bare feet.

"Go ahead, ask away." Attitude filled his voice.

"Did that kiss mean anything to you?" I ask nervously, my heart basically jumping out of my chest.

He fiddles with his fingers, his jawline begins to twitching.

"What's the next question you wanted to ask me?" He tries to dodge the question.

"Who is Jim? You mentioned him in your sleep earlier this morning, before I woke you up."

I could see the pain growing in his blue eyes, a little bit of regret hiding behind the pain.

I could tell he hasn't explained his feelings to anyone. Yet, I'm here, pressuring him to tell me all about it, even if it's personal.

"Jim," Brad's voice cracks. "He was my older brother. We got into this big argument on night and I pissed him off. So he decided to take a walk." Brad's eyes glances at mine.

"He never came back. My whole family was worried about his disappearance. The police found his body in an alleyway, his wallet missing."

I grab Brad's hand, reassuring him that I will be here for him.

His eyes fill with tears, but they quickly disappear.

He leans over the table, placing his soft lips on mine.

This time, I didn't pull back from him like I did last time.

I knew this was the answer to the other question.

He wanted to give me a demonstration, not a boring, simple answer that an original person would give.

Instead of putting the kiss to an end,I gave him a kiss back, letting him know that I don't mind it.

He pulled back, making me open my eyes.

I felt surprised at first, but that was quickly replaced with embarrassment.

My cheeks immediately turned blood red, my palms sweating,and the thing is, I wanted him to kiss me again.

"W-why did you stop?" I wanted it to sound normal, but instead it came out like a whisper, and making me sound desperate.

Brad smirks. "Well, well, well. Look who's coming back for more." He lifts an eyebrow.

"Brad, I'll be the first to admit it, I like you. I always have.When we first met, to now."

There was an awkward pause of silence, filling the kitchen. The tension boiling in the room.

"I don't like you." Brad says, almost like it's normal.

My eyes immediately fill tears and I look away from him and race to the bathroom.

I lock the door and cry. I could tell Brad had chased after me by the way his feet stomped on the hardwood floor.

"Maddie," Brad knocks on the door, then when I don't open it, he turns the doorknob, which is still locked. "Let me in."

"Go away!" I shout, my body trembling in agony.