Nightmare

I wake up with bags under my eyes, still exhausted from last night.

Brad repeatedly threw up until sometime early this morning, then finally was able to calm himself down and go to sleep.

He went to bed around 2:30am, and I set my alarm clock to go off thirty minutes later.

I wanted to make sure that he was fine, possibly recovered from his hangover. I had my fingers crossed, hoping he was.

I stand up and stretch,hearing my back snap.

I prepare myself for the possibilities that could happen as I walk to his room.

The door creeks to Brad's bedroom as I slowly open it, inching my way into the room.

"Maddie?" Brad asks, rubbing his eyes and turning a lamp on, which is beside his bed on a small brown desk.

"I just came to check on you." I was speechless, nervous all because of the kiss. It's awkward, especially being around him.

I clench my fists as I felt Brad stand up and walk over to me and give me a hug, but I don't return the favor. Instead, my hands are still drooping by my sides.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He whispers in my ear, his voice back to normal.

"Brad," I start to say, pulling back from the hug."Go back to sleep. I didn't mean to wake you."

"Maddie, listen, I know what I did was wrong and I understand that you're pissed at me, but please, don't let this ruin our..."he trails off.

"Our what?" I ask as I scrunch my eyebrows,confused.

"Whatever this is. Whatever we have. Because whatever this is, I like it."He says, almost acting like he's ashamed of what he just said.

"Brad, tell me, what is this?" I ask, waiting for his answer.

He stares at me blackly for a few seconds before speaking."I...just, never mind."

I shrug my shoulders. "Okay, I think I'll head off to bed now." I spin around on my heels and walk out.

"Maddie," Brad called from his room. "Can you stay in here? With me?"

My heart races and my palms start to sweat as I re-enter Brad's room.With nervous hands, I throw the sheet down and lay in the bed.

I sink into mattress and the pillow goes with it, along with my head.

The silk covers were much better than the blanket I used.

Brad lays down next, only a few inches away from me.

My breathing picks up the pace as I stare into the darkness.

I prepare myself to ask Brad the question I've been meaning to ask him. I rehearse it in my brain a few time.

Brad, did that kiss mean anything to you?

Was anything in that kiss special to you?

I picked the question that I wanted to ask him.

I turn to face him, but he was already sound asleep, and before I knew it, my eyes were getting heavier and heavier.

~

"Jim?" Brad asks in a questionable voice, still keeping his eyes shut.

I peek an eye open, listening to Brad sleep talk.

It has to be around 5:00 in the morning.

"Jim!" He yells, making me jump. He was so peaceful sleeping until now. He just randomly started talking.

"Stop! Come back!"

"Brad," I place my hand gently on his chest. "Wake up."

He quickly sits up in bed, panting like he had just ran a marathon, sweating and his eyes wandering around the room.

"Brad, you were sleep talking and it didn't sound so good. Are you okay?"

He looks at me, worry and pain in his eyes, tears threatening to spill out.

He flinches as I try to comfort him by laying my hand on his arm.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He says angrily, still breathing heavily.

"Do you want some coffee? We're already awake, so why not?" I ask, allowing a little laugh slip out of my lips.

He nods his head, allowing his eyes to slowly shut back, his body getting comfortable in the bed again.

~

I poor the warm coffee into the two plain, white mugs that Brad found in the wooden counters.

"Brad, listen, we need to talk about some things."

"What kind of things are we talking about?" Brad asks, disappointment and rudeness fill his voice as he rolls his eyes.

He knew exactly what I was going to ask, and he was going to do everything in his power to prevent it.