Happens For A Reason

After I finish all the work I missed, I made my way to Mr.Bryan's, or as I like to call him, Mr.Pervert's class.

"Hello, Maddie." Mr.Bryan greets me as I walk through the classroom door.

I give a sly little wave and take my seat, with Lizzy behind me, playing with my hair.

"Maddie, you need to make up some work for me. If I do say so myself, I would suggest that you make it up today, after school." Mr.Bryan says.

I nod my head; something told me this was going to end badly.

"Good luck with Mr.Pervert." Lizzy whispers in my ear, winking at me as the bell rings.

As everyone scampers to their seats, I hear people saying my name, and I think Lizzy heard it too.

"I bet that TV hogger over there is enjoying the spotlight. Surprised she hasn't ran off yet." Someone whispers.

"I bet she's a loner, since she has no one else to stay with."Another one whispers.

Next thing I know, Lizzy stands up from her desks and slams her hands on the desk.

"Why don't you just leave her alone? She's been through more than y'all. So shut up and deal with it." Lizzy stands up for me.

"Lizzy, see me after class."Mr. Bryan says calmly as he stands up and starts to teach math.

~

The bell rings and everyone gathers their books and starts to head home, while Lizzy and I wait on Mr.Bryan.

"Lizzy," Mr.Bryan states."That is not how you talk to people."

"Yeah, you yell at me but not at the people who were picking on Maddie." Lizzy snarls.

"I don't get involved with people and all the bullies. So far, your the only voice I heard speak up."Mr. Bryan says.

Lizzy rolls her eyes and picks up her book. She gives me a "good luck" smile and leaves.

"Maddie, you don't really have make up work to do."Mr. Bryan admits as he rolls his seat in from of my desk.

"Then why did you say I had some?"

"I need...to...see you."

"About what?"I ask.

"Maddie," Mr.Bryan starts as he puts his hand on my bare leg, since I wore a pink skirt.

He squeezed my knee, most probably going to make a bruise later. I jumped at his sudden movement.

"You seem to not like it when I look at you." He smirks.

"Yeah, I don't like it when you touch me either."I say as I stand up, making his hand fall from my knee.

After I get my book bag, I race out the door and make it to my car.

As I speed out the school's parking lot, I call Lizzy and explain to her what had happened in the classroom.

"Do you want me to beat his ass?" Lizzy hisses.

I wipe a tear away."I don't know; I just want everything to stop."

"Maddie, I know it's hard for you know, but just remember that everything happens for a reason."

"I'll talk to you later."I say through shaky breaths.

"Wait! Are you going to tell Brad?" Lizzy asks.

It took me a minute to think about it."I don't know. I'll call and tell you when I decide."

~

I sling my book bag on the hardwood floors in the kitchen and make my way into the living room, where Brad was asleep on the couch.

His snores filled the silence and I allow a giggle to escape my lips.

Brad immediately jumps up and balls up his fists.

"What the? Maddie, you scared the crap out of me."Brad laughs.

I nod my head and fake a smile. Brad notices and makes his way over to
me.

He wraps his arms around my waist as I hug him. I allow a few tears to leave my eyes as I grab ahold to Brad's shirt.

"What's wrong?" He asks in a stern voice as he breaks away from our hug.

"Brad......"