39| Introductions

Unknown

Unknown:
Hi
If I let Sam be in charge
this would never happen
but I'm his sister Sarah and
I would very much like to meet you

Me:
Oh hey yeah
I didn't even know Sam
stopped the meeting
I had asked him before to meet
you but he said you were
busy with the boat

Sarah:
I can have a break to
meet the new baby mama

Me:
Yeah of course
I'm planning a baby shower
but Sam won't let me do it
because of stress

Sarah:
Let me handle that
It might be my fault he
doesn't let you do things
I scared him when he
wanted to know what to
do while you're pregnant

Me:
Is it that simple to scare him?
If I had known that my
Halloween costume last year
would've been better

Sarah:
Dressed up as a pregnancy test?

Me:
Yes actually
How do you feel to come by the
office so we can work
the shower out?

Sarah:
You're still at the office?

Me:
Yeah he won't get me
away from there
It's my life

Sarah:
I can come by this weekend
If you don't mind
that I bring my kids

Me:
No of course not
My intern will be there so he
can stay with the kids

Sarah:
Good then you'll see me Saturday

Me:
Yeah nice talking to you Sarah

Sarah:
You too Lori

I walked over to the front of the office, where Sam and Peter were collecting the new frames and other material, and scolded the one I called my boyfriend.

"Samuel, why did you never thought to introduce me to your sister?"

Peter and Sam looked at each other for a moment, with Peter shrugging and basically telling the man he was on his own.

"I didn't think it was the right time." Sam tried as a reason, but I wasn't buying it.

"Nah-ah." I shook my head and planted my hands on my hips. "Sarah is a kind person. She and I would very much like to meet. In fact, she's coming over this weekend and she will be helping with the baby shower."

"Are you sure?" He walked over to me. "Because organizing a baby shower can be stressful."

"And breathing can, too." I said. "Babe, you can't tell people to not meet with me. I can say so for myself."

"You never introduced me to your parents."

"And I have a reason for that." I told Sam. "You know why Amara is staying with us. You know how they are just by what I said. Do you want my step-dad to tell you you're not good enough because I'm fragile? That, just on skin color alone, he immediately assumes things? I know my parents, and I know how they will react."

"And I can handle that." Sam said. "I've been handling people like that my entire life!"

"Yeah, and so have I." I crossed my arms. "I've never had friends over, if I had friends, because they would say things that offend them. I stopped doing anything I wanted so I wouldn't have to hear my parents say anything out of line. They are old-fashioned. They are basic white people. I don't want you in that situation."

"And I didn't want you to meet my sister because she can be a pain in the ass about the same thing!" My boyfriend exclaimed. "We grew up with little. Had to do all the hard work because we are black. And now that she heard I am dating you, she was sceptical from the start. Your parents can be assholes, but so can my sister."

We were both silent after that. Neither knowing what to say, what to do.

"If I may," Peter cut in the silence, "you two are wonderful people and should just get the meetings over with. If they still don't like it, leave them be. You're happy and that's what should matter."