45| Beach

While the most of the Avengers were doing my job, I had Riley spend the day with Sarah. Sam wanted me to himself today, and I had a feeling why. I'm just too scared to admit it to myself.

He had picked me up from the office around noon with flowers; like he always does when we go out. He was nervous, that much was clear, but he wasn't telling me why.

Sam held my hand as we flew over to somewhere he wouldn't tell me. There was music playing in the Quinjet, and we were slowdancing. Which was kind of sweet, but also weird. Dancing in a Quinjet wasn't the best thing to do. Especially as FRIDAY was initiating the landing without telling us.

"FRIDAY!" I groaned as I pushed my boyfriend off me. "Why didn't you tell us to sit down?"

"Because you two needed to get closer." The AI replied. "I've been seeing you two dance, but nothing happened."

"Yeah, we're not Stark." Sam helped me stand and we strapped ourself in a chair. We waited for the Quinjet to turn off before we stood up again. Just in case FRIDAY had another surprise for us.

The two of us walked out of the plane and I smirked towards Sam. "Why are we in LA?" I wanted to know.

"Well," Sam took my hand and led me to the beach we walked on when we had our first date, "I wanted to go to a place that meant something to us."

"All right." I accepted his answer, for now, as we walked along the shore. The seagulls were there, yet again, but I refrained from commenting on it. I wanted the silence to go on a little while longer. Definitely when I saw Sam frown in thought, and then try to relax himself. The poor man was having no clue what to do now he got me here.

"We have Stark's beach house this time." Sam told me with a smile. "He gave me the keys."

I chuckled. "You're up to something. I know you are."

"What?" He looked fake hurt. "Me? Come on, man. You know how I can't keep a secret from you."

I laughed as we made our way to the front door of the beach house. Sam opened the door and led me to the middle of the room. The lights were off, but I saw enough to know that something was on the floor.

"All right." My boyfriend stopped walking. "The lights can be turned on if you ask FRIDAY. But only ask FRIDAY when I say so."

I nodded to tell him I would.

"Great!" Sam started to fall over his words. "I, uh... I didn't know how to do... how to do this. But Amara and the kid have helped me. Actually, the kid was with me when the whole HYDRA base thing happened. It wasn't supposed to turn into a mission, but we got trapped–"

"Sam..."

"Right, yeah. Got off track." He chuckled a bit. "So, Lori, we know each other for almost two years now, and those years has been the best. I love you so, so much. You brought a light that has only been growing ever since. And now that we have little Riley running around... It's fantastic to experience this with you. What I'm going at here is–"

"Yes, I'll marry you." I cut in.

"Wh– I wasn't done with my speech." Sam said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you want to continue?"

"No, I'm good." He answered. "Tell FRIDAY to put on the lights."

"FRIDAY?

A second later, the lights turned on and I saw that Sam had put rose petals on the floor, which spelled out 'will you marry me'. He, himself, sat on one knee before me with a ring in his hands.

"So?" He questioned.

I laughed. "I already said yes, dumbass. Of course, I'll marry you."