3: Stay Sharp

Turns out the 'unexpected' was a piece of equipment left on the bench of the park. It looked like a wooden pole. Maybe it was a broom handle? A kendo sword? 

Chiharu approached it cautiously and checked the tag hanging from the bright red bow on the end of the stick. 'Good Luck, Chiharu' It read. The middle schooler gulped. 

He looked around again, somewhat frantically this time. What was he supposed to do with a stick?! 

He took one step away from the bench and heard it. A twig snapping just to the left of him. He looked behind him, his neck turning at a painfully slow pace. Hawks was standing there, out of hero costume, holding a stick of his own. 

"Hello." He said, his words were formal but his tone was playful. "Want to know what we're doing today?". Chiharu swallowed and nodded, Hawks grinned wider. 

He flew straight up a couple feet, then came down, swinging his stick at the middle schooler. Chiharu didn't dodge, didn't have to. He couldn't feel the pain anyways. Hawks seemed shocked at this and landed. 

"That really didn't even startle you?" He asked. Chiharu blushed a little, embarrassed, and shrugged. 

"I've had my quirk for so long now I've kinda lost those reactions." He explained, trailing off. Hawks looked mildly horrified. It was then Chiharu realized that his own stick was in his hands. Quickly, while Hawks was still distracted, he swung at him, aiming for his right side. 

A red wing intercepted the hit and knocked Chiharu's staff out of his hand. It clattered to the ground a couple feet away. "Clever." Hawks said, a smirk gracing his features, "But not clever enough.".

This time the wing aimed for him, sweeping the black haired teen off his feet, albeit much gentler than with the stick. 

"You need to work on speed and reaction time." The no.3 hero said, "Just because you wont get hurt from hitting the ground doesn't mean you can afford to waste time getting back up. Speed is everything in a fight. I mean, besides keeping yourself in fighting shape, but that's not an issue for you.". 

Chiharu nodded and accepted the outstretched hand of his mentor. 

"So," He asked, a little nervous, "What's lesson 2?". 

Hawks laughed. Actually full on chuckled. "Lesson 2! You crack me up Iwamoto!" He said through laughs, "Kiddo at this rate lesson 1 will take us weeks. U.A doesn't just happen in an instant.". 

The no.3 hero then raised his wooden pole again and lunged towards Chiharu. This training session was going to be long. 

-------- -------- -------- ------- ------- ------- -------- -------- 

"I feel like you two don't hang out as much as you used to.". 

"What-t-t-t?!?" Izuku squawked, shocked at his mother's sudden question. Did she knew he was training for U.A? Did she know about All Might? 

"What d-do you mean?" Chiharu asked, looking equally nervous for a similar reason. What if she knew? 

Inko looked at the boys and just sighed. They spent so much time together they were practically identical in their reactions.  "I just mean that usually Haru stays over on the weekends and is here every couple of days. I haven't seen him all week!" She complained. 

Chiharu breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't know. "I've been busy with school work, I think we both have." He said, looking to Izuku to support his story. The green haired teen nodded. "Yep. Lots of projects.". 

Izuku's saint of a mother just took that explanation at face value and didn't press any further. "Are you staying for dinner sweetheart?" She asked on her way back to the kitchen. Chiharu nodded. 

"My parents wont be back till super late tonight." He said, "Thank you for inviting me.". She had been feeding him for years, but he still thanked her every time. He didn't want Inko to think he was ungrateful for everything she had done for him. 

The green haired woman broke out in a large, relieved grin that quickly turned to a frown. "They sure do work a lot." She commented absentmindedly. Chiharu nodded with a sad smile. 

"They try to be around as much as they can, but it doesn't always pan out that way." He said, repeating what his parent's had told him. He loved and respected them for that, he really did. They worked incredibly hard to buy the apartment they lived in a nicer neighborhood than they could otherwise afford, but living expenses were high. Chiharu just wished he saw them a little more often. 

"Oh, honey." Inko said, observing Chiharu's sad expression. "I've been telling you this for years, but if you joined us every night for dinner or stayed over every weekend, we wouldn't mind.". Chiharu nodded and smiled, trying to wave away Ms. Midoriya's worries. 

When he turned back around Izuku was staring at him. It wasn't his usual sort of look. It felt like he was staring right through Chiharu, like he was trying to figure something out. The black haired teen just blushed a little, mumbling something about video games, hoping to distract Izu from staring a hole through him. 

It seemed to work as Izuku quickly looked away, flustered. Chiharu's heart ached. Moments like those always hurt. They allowed him to delude himself into thinking that maybe, just maybe Izuku felt the same way. He would never. His friend had said it before, Chiharu was like a brother to him. 

But he couldn't help hoping. 

Maybe one day when they're older, when Izu sees him as older, then he could confess. He had always been dead set on doing it in high school, but that seemed really up in the air. 

So the ever awkward Chiharu tried breaking the silence. "Can I bring Dani over?".

-------- -------- -------- ------- ------- ------- -------- -------- 

By the time Chiharu went home, poor Dani was tired out. The dog didn't really have a breed, they had found her as a stray. She was 15 pounds, very small and like a giant dark brown puff ball. She also happened to adore the Midoriya's. She went over almost as much as Chiharu did. 

He tried to bring her everywhere with him since his parents didn't give her much attention. He had to be enough for 3 people. 

Dani rushed into the dark apartment, her tiny toe nails clicking on the wooden floors. Chiharu sighed as he walked inside, closing and locking the door behind him. 

"Mom? Dad?" He called into the darkness. No response. He made his way to his bedroom, stopping at his parents along the way. It was dark and empty from what he could see. Haru checked his phone. 10:30. He had stayed super late at the Midoriya's at Inko's insistence. 

The poor woman had barely been able to keep herself awake until 10:30, but she kept insisting he stay until the last minute, even offering to let him stay over. Izuku of course backed her up on this and kept offering at every available moment. 

Chiharu wanted to say yes. He wanted to say yes do damn badly. But his parents should have been home by then and he wanted to see them. 

But they weren't so Haru supposed he just being dumb. The middle schooler sighed, emotionally exhausted already and took himself off to bed. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yay chapter 3! 

I'm so excited to write more training sessions with Hawks! He's going to be like a mentor/big brother character so there's a lot of relationship and character development in there. 

I want to preface that I under no circumstances are saying that if you work a lot you can't be a good parent. Working hard to afford a nice place for your kids to live is important. But I also want to show how this can cause the older kids of these parents to feel lonely. 

If I had it my way no one would have to work so much they couldn't see their kids just to afford nice things for their kids. It just doesn't make sense uk? 

But anyways 😅 stay tuned!