26: Another Summer With You

The world had decided that Midoriya Izuku had to suffer. 

After spending god knows how long panicking after the realization that he was a) a little bit homosexual and b) crushing really hard on his best friend, he hadn't gotten much sleep. He was overtired, sick of throwing himself into schoolwork to forget and generally really grumpy. 

But the world had decided that today would be the perfect time to start torturing him. 

How, you might ask? 

Swimming. 

Goddamn swimming. 

Now, for the entirety of his life Izuku had imagined himself with a certain type of partner. Smaller than him, because that's what society told him to do, and definitely female. He always imagined someone sweet, cute and shy like he was. 

Never did he think he'd be trying to peel his eyes away from the abs of his childhood best friend who was now taller than him. Now don't get him wrong-Chiharu was absolutely adorable and sweet-but he wasn't really shy. He was way more social than Izuku was. In fact, for years Izuku had felt bad about holding him back socially. Being best friends with the quirkless loser that everyone hated prevented a lot of friendships from being made. 

All in all, Chiharu wasn't at all who he expected to fall for. 

But goddamn it he had fallen and he had fallen hard. 

"You okay, Izu?" Haru asked, tilting his head to the side, "You're looking a little red. Did you put any sunscreen on?". 

"I-I did." He stuttered, cursing at himself internally. Chiharu's face only looked more concerned and Izuku felt like a jerk for making him worry. "I just don't want to get into another race like last time.". 

Recognition flashed in Haru's eyes. "You did well last time though. It was cool to watch, even if you got your ass kicked." The boy joked. 

"So you want me to do it again?" Izuku joked. Slowly they fell back into their usual rhythm of conversation, light teasing and inside jokes. 

When they reached the poolside they were greeted by the sight of the rest of their class, standing around the pool but not getting in. Kirishima dipped a toe in the water and retracted it immediately. 

"Its cold as hell man!" He said. A few more people bent down to feel it and shivered. 

"What's the big deal?" Chiharu asked, putting his own hand in the water, "Its just a bit chilly.". 

"Its freezing!" Iida said, "We should perform some pool maintenance at once!". The rest of the group seemed to agree. Chiharu just rolled his eyes and smiled. He walked over to the deep end and jumped in, splashing Izuku (on purpose, of course). 

A few people who got splashed less intentionally squealed and rushed back. Chiharu swam over to an area where he could touch and rose to the surface. 

It was a habit of his, always had been, to do the move from the little mermaid when he breached the surface of water. He used to do it every damn time at the creek near their elementary school. 

But this time it was different. Haru had always kept his hair short, or rather his parents had. They would take literal sheep sheers to the hair once a month to keep it the same length. But he hadn't cut it once since around the end of middle school. It was so long it nearly grazed his shoulders. 

So when he flipped his head back the hair went with it. Chiharu shook his head back and forth to get some more of the water off and looked over at Izuku with bright brown eyes that were unobscured by bangs.