20: Tonight's The Night

"You've got to do it tonight. The trip won't last much longer." The person over the phone said sternly. 

"I'm not sure how strategic that is-" The listener protested. "Enough with you and your strategy. When have I been wrong before? Just trust in your teacher." The voice shot back.

The listener sighed. "I don't have reinforcements, if something goes pear shaped I'll be in a sticky situation.". 

"Don't act like I'm sending you to do something you don't want to. This has been your goal for how long now?". 

"Years." The listener said, "But that doesn't mean I'm going to jump at the chance just because the class is gonna be broken up tonight.". 

"It should." The other person groaned. 

"Don't you have something better to do than lecture me?" The second voice shot back. 

"Honestly no." The person laughed, "Flame head's not here, you'll find out why. I'm very much invested in what happens tonight.". 

The listener sighed heavily. 

"Keigo, I really don't think I can do it tonight." Haru protested, already bright red from the earlier confrontation. His big brother's voice filtered through the camp phone. 

"Come on. You have the test of courage, just you and him under the stars, alone. You can hold his hand when he gets scared and then you can tell him how you feel. It'll be romantic." Hawks said. 

"Maybe." Chiharu relented. Keigo cheered a little. 

"Now we're running out of time on this dinky old phone. You said you had 20 minutes and its been like 23. Get going kiddo." Keigo said, "Love you. Have a good day at camp!"

"Love you too." Haru mumbled shyly. God being told that was weird. His parents...well they hadn't ever told him that. Not once. Keigo on the other hand seemed to use the words far too frivolously. 

The 15 year old took a deep shaky breath. He could do this. 

Izu had been his crush for years now. YEARS. But still he couldn't bring himself to say anything. 

But tonight was it. He was going to be paired with Izuku no matter what and he was going to say something. 

--------- ---------- ------- -------- -------- -------- ----------- ------ 

Izuku was not feeling as confident in his relationship with Chiharu that day. You may be wondering, why? They were best friends, what could come between that? 

Todoroki. Goddamn. Shoto. 

Midoriya wasn't sure what happened to make the two all 'buddy-buddy' all of a sudden, but it was starting to get on Izuku's nerves. 

"How's the resilience training going?" Chiharu asked as he tossed the half and half teen a bottle of water. 

"Its going. What is Mr. Aizawa having you do?" The boy asked. Chiharu smiled. 

"Strength tests. He wants to see how much I can lift so I can get stronger." He explained. 

"Oh. I could-" Todoroki hesitated a little, "I'm taking a break in a bit anyways. I could help spot you?". 

"Thanks for the offer, but Tiger's already taken the job." Haru said. Izuku mentally high fived himself. Todoroki wouldn't be getting any closer to his best friend. 

But that wasn't the end of it. At lunch time it was, 

"I can't believe they had Jiro scare fish up to the surface with her sound waves." Chiharu said with a smile.