7: A Competition Against Yourself

"Your first test will be a race. I will sort you into heats at random and call groups up as we go." Mr. Aizawa explained. "Alright, group one, Aoyama, Ashido, Asui, Iida, Uraraka. Line up in that order.". 

Both Midoriya and Chiharu waved to Uraraka and Iida as they took the field. Izuku already know that Iida would win based on his quirk alone, but he had hardly seen any of the others in action. Chiharu laughed when he saw the sparkle in his friend's eye, knowing it was only a matter of time before every single member of their class would have a page in one of Izuku's quirk analysis books. 

Mr. Aizawa counted them down and suddenly it was like a blur. The navel laser guy Izuku had told Haru about ended up smashing into the pink acid girl. Iida was ridiculously fast and Uraraka didn't even use her quirk in his one. The frog girl was pretty fast too. 

"Alright, I've written all your times down. Group two, Ojiro, Kaminari, Kirishima, Koda and Mineta line up." Mr. Aizawa said, his tone already bored. He was quite the character, Haru couldn't help but wonder what he would be like as a teacher. 

Kaminari made a point of waving to Chiharu as he walked up to his line and the black haired boy excitedly waved back. "Where'd you meet him?" Izuku asked, his voice combined with the start of the race startling Chiharu a little. 

"Oh, he was in my group during the entrance exam." The black haired boy explained, "I saved him from the zero pointer and we exchanged numbers.". Izuku just nodded, not meeting Haru's eyes. A treacherous part of the boy's brain asked if Izuku was jealous but Haru knew it wasn't the case. He was probably just genuinely curious. Its not exactly normal for either of them to have other friends. 

They went through group after group until there was only one left. "Group 4, Hagakure, Bakugou, Midoriya, Iwamoto and Yaoyorozu line up. You're the last ones." Mr. Aizawa said with a sigh. 

To say it was awkward would be an understatement. It was weird enough that the three had been sat right next to each other, but this too? Chiharu shivered at the thought of being in Bakugou's group in everything for the rest of the year. 

The group walked to their lines, readying whatever they had planned. At least Chiharu was fast. Hawks put such an emphasis on speed that he felt confident in not getting expelled for his score in this activity. 

Haru exhaled as he readied himself to run. The beep sounded and they were off. 

------- -------- -------- -------- -------- ------- -------- -------- 

Second. Holy shit he placed second. Chiharu still couldn't believe it as he walked to the next evaluation. The black haired girl, Yaoyorozu his mind supplied, had materialized roller skates right onto her feet but it hadn't been fast enough. 

In order it was Bakugou, Chiharu, Yaoyorozu, Midoriya, Hagakure. The poor invisible girl wasn't the strongest runner. 

Still, Chiharu would take only losing to Bakugou as a victory cause honestly he couldn't give a shit about Bakugou after all he's done to Izuku over the years. While Mr. Aizawa wasn't looking Haru pulled out his phone and tapped at it excitedly. 

'We had a race where we were able to use our quirks however we wanted to' He texted, buzzing with excitement 'And I got second!!!'. 

Keigo was quick to reply. '😁 I knew making you chase me would work out! '. Chiharu rolled his eyes and send a '🙄' back. Hawks wasn't wrong though. If he hadn't pushed Haru he probably wouldn't have done so well. The fact he had beaten Izu was weird considering they were about the same height and the only difference was how long they had been training. Izuku should have been faster than him.