5: Give It Your All

"Izu!" Chiharu called out excitedly. He had been waiting outside U.A for a good five minutes now waiting for his friend to show up, and he'd finally spotted him. 

Unfortunately he must have startled Izuku by shouting his name because he flinched and just fell over. Haru was about to run to see if he was okay, but his friend never hit the ground. A girl with short brown hair seemed to be levitating him above the ground. 

She helped him upright again and Izuku immediately turned into a blushing mess. Chiharu gritted his teeth as he slowly approached the pair. 

It was an unfortunate reality the Izuku was straight. It wasn't like Haru could change that, he was who he was. He really wanted to confess right there though, to just ask now before this girl got any closer to Izuku, but he couldn't. The timing wasn't right. Izuku hadn't even told him about his quirk yet (sure Haru already knew about it but that's not the point). 

'High school' He told himself 'I have to wait until we're in high school'. "Hey Izu! I didn't mean to startle you, sorry.". 

Izuku's eye snapped over to Chiharu as he coughed awkwardly. "No worries Haru. There was a bump in the steps, I probably would have fallen anyways. Um, that you for helping me." He directed the last part to the girl. She smiled sweetly and waved him off saying that hero's were supposed to help people.  

The three of them didn't wait around outside any longer and headed in to take the practical exam. 

------- ------- ------ ------- ------- ------ ------- --------

"You there! Your mumbling is incredibly distracting. If your only goal is to make this experience worse for everyone you should leave immediately." A tall boy with blue hair and glasses shouted. 

"You're interrupting the presentation, sit down." Chiharu said angrily. The glasses boy seemed a little surprised at first but did sit down after a second. Haru poked Izuku's shoulder and gestured for him to switch seats with him. Izuku obliged easily.

After that awkward outburst Present Mic continued explaining the exam. Anxiety rushed through Chiharu's veins. Every second was another second closer to the big moment. He had one shot at this and one shot only. 

He had confidence in what he knew. He was trained by the no.3 hero for gods sake. It wasn't like he was just going in blind. But still, it was a big task. Especially since they were robots and not real people. 

It couldn't be impossible thought. He could manage it. Probably. Okay, maybe. 

------- ------- ------ ------- ------- ------ ------- --------

Okay. 10 minutes. 10 minutes that would decide his future. 

Chiharu started aimlessly running through the streets, looking for the highest point robot he could find. 

Finally he encountered one of the tank like 3 pointers. He took a moment to just observe it. Know your enemy, Hawks always said. Maybe it was just for the test, to give them options, but it looked like there was a flaw in the design. Most of the wiring was exposed in the back of the robot. 

It was close to the motor then. Most people wouldn't be able to get close for fear of the heat generated, but when you're invulnerable you don't learn much self preservation. Chiharu took a deep breath and started running past the robot, keeping close to the buildings. When he got close enough he sprinted across the street, catching the attention of a nearby two pointer. 

"Target acquired." The two pointer said. It sounded like a sci-fi movie if Haru was being honest, but he didn't dwell on it. As fast as possible he clambered up the three pointer. Without hesitation he started pulling wires.