29: Do You Mean That?

Things were tense after the provisional licensing exam. Not only had their top two students failed, but anyone could tell something was wrong with the resident best friends. Chiharu and Izuku no longer seemed attached at the hip and it was creating problems. 

Bakugou was fuming constantly, irritable and aggressive. Normally Haru wouldn't bat an eye at that, it was normal for the blond to be angry 24/7. But somehow Bakugou had become less of a obstacle and more of a real person to him. They had become...amicable? That was the word. 

He couldn't help but think that when Bakugou told him to give up on Izuku and that he was pathetic for pining after a straight guy for over a decade, he was right. His feelings had only complicated things for them, they hadn't done him any good. 

Without realizing it, he had began to resent his feelings for Izuku. They no longer gave him butterflies, they just felt like a burden. Just something that complicated his life even more. 

Follow Izuku to U.A had changed his entire life. At the start of the school year he was living with his parents in the same building as Izuku, and now he's living in the U.A hero course dorms with a completely different legal guardian. 

Keigo told him he was better off away from his parents, because their negligence would only hurt him more, and he mostly agreed but there was still a part of himself that wanted nothing more than his parents affection and love. He was never going to get it, he had come to terms with that, but that didn't mean he couldn't want it. 

His career goals had changed with hero school. Now, obviously, he only wanted to do hero work. It was exciting, fun and rewarding. After spending his entire life not even dreaming of being a hero because he knew he would never make the cut, he now had a real shot at it. More than a shot, with his provisional license. 

But following Izuku to U.A might have doomed their friendship completely. In middle school they were attached to each other. Chiharu was always sleeping over and they were always eating together and chatting nonstop. Now Izuku was avoiding him. 

His best friend, if that's still what they were, had also lost of some of the sparkle he used to have. He'd talk about being a hero with such a hopeful look in his eye, and that look had been replaced with a slight nervousness mixed with determination. 

Sighing heavily, Chiharu looked out the window. It was dark out. He could faintly see the stars past the light pollution created by U.A's street lamps. 

He wasn't going to fall asleep at all at this rate. quickly he got up, pulling on a pair of sweatpants and some slippers before leaving his dorm. 

Surprise surprise when he ran into Katsuki in the elevator. 

"What's you doing?" The black haired teen asked. Katsuki didn't answer at first. 

"Going to teach that fucker a lesson." He replied eventually. They both knew who he was talking about. 

"You're going to talk to Izuku?". 

"Sure. Talk. However the fuck you wanna put it.". 

Chiharu's mouth twisted. His mind raced for a moment. 

"Let me talk to him instead." He said finally. Katsuki looked over at him, sizing him up for a moment.

"How many times do I have to tell you this? Give up on Deku. Its a waste of your fucking time." He spat.
"Please Katsuki." Haru continued, "Do a favor for me just this once-" 

"Just because he's been checking you our of whatever doesn't mean you have a chance!" He interrupted. Haru gave him a confused look. "No matter how much you like him, or how much you're willing to bend your entire fucking life for that useless good for nothing, he'll never make time for you. He'll have hero work on the brain for the rest of his fucking life. You don't have a snowball's chance in hell of being his number one.". 

Katsuki observed Haru's shell shocked expression. The other teen hadn't been expecting such earnest words from Katsuki. It was almost like he didn't want Haru to get hurt. 

Meanwhile, how much the truth surprised Chiharu was just pissing Katsuki off. Who the fuck was that blind? "Lusting after a straight guy isn't gonna do you any good. There are other people out there. Hell, even this fucking dump of school has options. You're not limited to the first guy to talk to you. Especially not Deku." He seemed grossed out by just the name. 

Chiharu had often wondered if Katsuki himself was queer. The way he spoke to Chiharu about these sorts of things, kind of like he had been burned before. Like this was common ground, even though if he ever got the courage to ask, Katsuki would definitely deny it. 

"Let me put it like this, dumbass," Katsuki grumbled, "If you were his priority, he would have given you more warning about applying to U.A. I know you didn't know before that teacher said it in front of fucking everyone. If he gave a shit about you, why wouldn't he tell you first?". 

Huh. Maybe he hadn't considered that before. 

All this time spent catching up to Izuku and his new powers and new school, and never once had he considered if Izuku cared or even wanted Haru to follow him. 

"I'll never regret coming here." Haru said seriously. Katsuki didn't meet his eyes. "Seriously. Coming to U.A-it stopped being about Izuku a while ago. This is my life too.". 

"Good for you, human shield. Glad you finally found a purpose for having bulletproof skin besides jumping off the school rooftop.". 

The elevator doors opened and Katsuki pushed the button for his own floor. 

"The fuck are you waiting for?" The blond asked, "Get out. He's at Ground Beta.". 

Chiharu sent his childhood tormentor a greatful look and stepped out of the elevator, not trusting himself to glance back and regret his decision to confront his friend. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This one's a much shorter chapter, but its another double update so its fine 👌

(I think. I don't know. Are there rules? No idea. I've never had a single thought before in my life.) 

I think you can all guess what the next chapter is focused on. This whole talk is a long time coming, for a variety of reasons. 

Also, I'm really loving how Bakugou's character has developed in this fic. I hardly ever give him the role of 'confidant' in my fanfics because well that's not really his style. But it works here because he's the only person that knows what Chiharu went through growing up. He and Izuku were the only people there, so of course he can see the situation clearly where their other classmates would be none the wiser. 

But enough psychoanalysis, go read the next chapter.