13: Still With You

"Is is Bakugou or Midoriya?" 

Chiharu stared at his mentor with a vacant expression. "Don't give me that. Clock back in, space cadet. Is is Bakugou or Midoriya?". 

"Is what Bakugou or Midoriya?" Haru asked, still confused. Keigo sighed. 

"You went to elementary school with both of them, then to middle school then to high school. You didn't give me a name so I was wondering which one of them was the guy you like." The man answered. 

"What the fuck?!" Chiharu said, "I didn't mention it once? Not his name even once in conversation?". Keigo shook his head adamant in this. 

"I read back and you never said it." "Wait read back? Read what?" "Doesn't matter, I just don't know who it is. which boy is it?". 

"Does it matter?" Chiharu asked. Keigo nodded firmly. "What I'm about to tell you is entirely dependent on which boy you're head over heals for.". 

"Okay, well its Izuku so-" "Fucking knew it. Okay, stay in hero school.". 

"What? Just like that?" The teen asked skeptically. The pro hero nodded. "Kids got a good heart and has worked for his skills, at least that's what I could squeeze out of your teacher. He's got good motives and will help you solidify your identity as a promising hero student whether he loves you back or not." He explained. 

"What were you going to say if I liked Bakugou?" He shivered at even the thought of Bakugou in that way, but he needed to know. 

"I was going to tell you to drop out and go to normal school 'cause no one can become a hero with such trash taste in men." Keigo said with a matter-of-fact expression. Chiharu wheezed out a laugh. 

"I was thinking that I should stay in school too. It might be a bit harder now that I've got to work and find a place to live, but I think I'll manage it." Haru said with a smile, "I really enjoy it, you know? Its satisfying and I don't have to stick with it forever if I don't want to.". 

"Working? A place to live?" Keigo echoed, his expression suddenly concerned. Haru nodded, "Yeah, I just asked if I could up my hours at the boba place so I can afford a down payment on a studio apartment close to school." He said, as if that was perfectly normal teenage stuff. 

"Kid you're 14." The pro hero said, not having any of this, "I'm never going to ask you to move out. You can stay here for the rest of high school and after if you want. You're like my little brother, I'd never ask you to do all that on your own. Better yet, quit your job. You could be expelled for having it, you shouldn't risk it.". 

"But I have to pay tuition-" "Haru, I am literally one of the best payed heroes in the world and the second best in Japan, I can pay for your tuition. And uniforms and field trips and everything like that. Please just relax and have fun." Keigo said, his eyes boring into Chiharu's soul. 

There was a moment of silence. Haru couldn't stop smiling like an idiot. "You're the nicest person like ever." He said, hugging Keigo. 

"I know I a-okay, ow. Stop squeezing. You have super strength kid you're gonna pop my organs out! Haru!" 

"Sorry." Chiharu said, laughing. He didn't actually have 'super strength', not like Izuku did at least. His brain just never held any strength back to stop him from getting hurt 'cause he did get hurt. 

So yeah, maybe it wasn't normal for someone as small as him to be able to lift as much as he could, but it wasn't super strength. Absolutely not. 

----------- ----------- --------- ----------- ----------- ----------- 

"Okay, the focus of today is to get your 'civilian' down the cliff without injuring them or yourself." All Might said. The class had paired up and walked up the back side of a cliff like cement structure. Chiharu had been partnered with Jiro and would be rescuing her first. 

"Any sort of creativity is appreciated!" The no.1 hero said, his trademark smile on his face, "Who want to go first?". 

Sero volunteered and carefully used his tape to lower Yaomomo to the ground before repelling down himself. Some people looked really stumped. Like Mina who was paired with Aoyama. She looked down the cliff face nervously. 

"I've got it!" She shouted. Mina bent down and started burning into the cement, melting it away. Within 5 minutes she had a beginner level rock climbing wall that both she and Aoyama could easily climb down. 

Haru himself was quite nervous. He didn't really have any way of getting Jiro down. He could easily just jump off the cliff, land at the bottom and stand up, but she couldn't....oh my god that was brilliant. 

"Can I hold you? Like, pressed right against you? I've got an idea but I don't want to make you uncomfortable." Chiharu asked, nervous that Jiro wouldn't agree to the idea. Instead she nodded and smiled. 

"I'm cool with that, but if you're going to throw me off the cliff its going to be a no." She joked. Chiharu laughed awkwardly. Jiro stared at him with wide eye. "Nope. No way in hell." She said. 

"Come on," Chiharu tried, "You won't get hurt and its the only thing I can think of doing.". Jiro shivered. "I don't know..." "I'll be careful. Or you can pair up with someone else, I really don't mind.". 

"Iwamoto!" All Might called out, "You're next!". 

The whole class watched, interested in how he would get Jiro down the cliff. He didn't have anything like Mina did. He, Ojiro and Koda were on the same level of 'stuck'. 

Then Chiharu threw himself off the cliff, you know, like a normal person. When he hit the ground All Might was already rushing towards him, first aid kit in hand. 

"Young Iwamoto, that was ill advised." He said, his tone worried. Then he looked over at the teen who was lying on the ground with Jiro on top of him, both looking unharmed. 

"Turns out if only I hit the ground everyone's fine." The teen said breathlessly. "I should jump of more cliffs, that was great!". 

"That was awful and I am never pairing with you again." Jiro groaned, standing up. Her legs were still shaking with anxiety, although she had to admit it was faster than many of their classmates methods. 

Meanwhile Izuku was at the top of the cliff watching the scene below with surprise and confusion. It wasn't that Chiharu hadn't always been confident in his quirk, but the confidence in himself was new. 

Previously Chiharu didn't do much of anything. He just stuck to Izuku's side and let the world pass around him passively. He had never seen Chiharu smile and joke so openly around others, it had only ever been Izuku. Maybe it was because he was awkward and bullied. It wasn't like Izuku wasn't aware that he was holding Haru back from being more popular or having more friends, but he had rationalized it in his head. 

He felt jealous and the problem was he couldn't tell if it was because Chiharu was getting along with everyone so easily while he was struggling and awkward or if it was because everyone was getting along with Chiharu who used to only hang out with him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sprinkling in one last lesson before the sports festival! 

I kind of love writing these build up / in between chapters. Its so fun to just put some mundane perspective in there before saying 'okay now we're gonna watch teenagers fight to the death!'. 

I just reached 650 followers!!! Thank you guys so much! 

On that note, would you guys like to see any other fandoms? I feel awkward posting stories other than bnha on this account cause its been pretty much dedicated to that this whole time, but I want to try something new out. Maybe some MCU since I'm high key obsessed with super heroes 😅

What can I say? Its a lifelong passion.