54: Power and Fire (EXTRA/AE)

FULL CHAPTER

NOT EDITED

It has been days.

Four days to be more precise.

Four whole ass days, walking and sometimes flying around the huge city trying to look for someone, anyone, who showed any signs of actual life. Eventually they would depart somewhere further away, but they had to come with terms about the possibility of their city being transformed into a giant cemetery. Watching your friends, family and people that you once knew, become still, unresponsive...dead.

It's not exactly easy. Four days but at least half of each passing day was spent crying and trying to keep each other safe from a mental breakdown. Now wasn't exactly the time to let emotions drive and make their decisions. They were aware that this somehow wasn't the end, it just couldn't. They were both blessed, even though right then it felt like a curse, with an infinite amount of power. They were the holders of the Virtutem Ignis, that had to mean something beyond the obvious chaos and destruction.

There has to be.

The hardest part was done. In fact it was done seconds after their moment together, which was, to check if their loved ones were alive.

And unfortunately, the response wasn't exactly what they had wanted.

No one showed any vital signs.

And it was devastating. They both begged, cried, screamed, cursed but most importantly, they both hurt. They hurt very much in their own hearts. So much that for a few seconds it felt like their ribs would eventually penetrate their beating muscle, and the fact that they could feel each other's emotions didn't exactly help. They were stuck on a loop. A loop made of heartbreak and guilt.

It took some time and emotional strength but eventually they left the bodies behind.

It was hard, very hard.

Castiel was still feeding the hope that somehow at least her Father would suddenly rise. He was after all the king of the dead and the doomed. Yes, they did check for vital signs, but then again the Devil doesn't exactly own a beating funcional heart. How could they be sure that he was, in fact, dead?

They waited and sat down while looking into the horizon.

The corpses were already starting to show signs of decomposition, the bodies were slowing turning grey and the urge to hurl while looking at the people you cared about the most slowing turning into dust was growing stronger and stronger.

As Castiel bent over ready to spill more acid, yes acid, because there has not been a single thing entering their stomachs for the past few days, but then again they no longer needed to eat to survive, Virtutem Ignis remember? They were divine creatures now. Well, as I was saying, as Castiel bent over to throw up, she noticed the little specks of color underneath her feet, small leaves of grass and the tiniest purple flower blossoming right under her body.

And then it clicked.

If she could make the grass grow from bland dirt.

Did that mean that she could bring things back from the dead?

A new feeling of hope started to grow inside of her. Sharing her thoughts with Jason, they both decided to give it a try, what's the worse thing that could happen? After surviving the end of the fucking world, they had absolutely nothing to lose.

So they sat down and tried to make sense and come up with a way to put their power into work. You see the problem with magic is that it's really hard to control, hence why there are so many magic books, and spells and recipes to make things easier for the practicer. They had the power, they just didn't exactly know how to use it.