Chapter 10- Happy New Year

[New Year’s Eve]

I was sat on my sofa in my pyjamas with my hair scrunched up in a messy bun on top of my head, with a bowl of cereal and watching an old F.R.I.E.N.D.S episode. It was only just turning light outside and the clock had just switched to 7am. For some strange reason I had been up since roughly around 6am, but then again I did go to bed pretty early last night so I had slept for a good 9 hours. 

    Suddenly, my head snapped up and I muted the TV. I began listening to the quiet creaks coming from the hallway. The hairs stood up on my body, no one would be up at this time so I started to get completely freaked out.  I stopped chewing the cereal in my mouth, it was the sound of someone walking down the stairs. More than one person. I kept repeating over in my head that it was nothing, I don’t even know why I was so scared. The front door was locked so no one could get in and I wasn’t one to believe in ghosts, but then again, I was sat in my front room in the near enough dark with just the TV for light. On my own. It sounds stupid I know, but I’m 15 so I watch a lot of horror movies. It was like I expected a man in a black cape and white mask with a knife to burst through the door any second now and stab me, or a Chinese woman with long black hair to come and kill me. 

     My mouth dropped and my eyes widened as the living room door slowly creaked open, casting a large shadow to form on the cream carpet right in front of me. I heard the click of the light switch, then the whole living room lit up. I squealed and covered my eyes with my free hand, not wanting to look up at the figure that awaited me. 

    “What the fuck!” A very familiar voice screamed in shock. 

I slowly looked up and saw a petrified Katy stood over me with her hand over her heart. 

    “Sorry I didn’t mean to swear, but girl are you trying to kill me!?” Katy whispered loudly. 

“I was about to say the same thing to you!” 

I scrunched my eyes, trying to adjust to the light. “Turn the light back off will you,” I moaned. 

She did as I asked and switched off the light, my eyes were back on the TV, but I felt Katy drop onto the sofa next to me. 

“What are you even doing up?” Katy asked me, knowing that I was one to lie in until the afternoon if I could. Well I’m a teenager, it’s normal right?

“I don’t even know, I think I went to sleep too early because I’ve been up since 6, why are you up?” When Katy wasn’t working, lie ins where her favourite thing to do. 

“John’s got a plane to catch at half 8, so I got up when he did and showed him to the door. I didn‘t feel tired, so I was going to sit up for a bit and watch TV, but it looks like someone beat me to it.” That must have been why I heard more than one person coming down the stairs. 

“Did you kiss him and say…” I put on my best impression of Katy, “Oh John, I’m going to miss you while were apart, oh John kiss me one last time before you leave,” I ran my fingers through my hair, still pretending to be Katy and acted like I was kissing someone in front of me. Until I felt a strong pair of arms tackle me, I felt my self roll backwards off the end of the sofa and Katy fell with me. I let out a groan as she landed straight on top of me. 

“Eugh, you’re so fat!” I managed to breathe out. 

Katy pouted her lips and gave me a sharp evil, “You’re lucky,” she whispered. 

I rolled over so that I was no longer underneath Katy, I jokingly let out a heavy breath like I had finally been able to breathe. 

“And why’s that?” I asked as I fell backwards back onto the sofa. Katy was still led on the floor, but she sat up to look at me.