Chapter 17- Old Photos Bring Back Memories.

I woke up the next morning with the sun burning into the side of my face. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes with the sides of my hands, then turned around to an empty bed. Katy’s pillow still had a head shaped dent in it where she had been lead and the covers were pulled back, she must have gone to work already. 

I sat up and pulled myself out of bed, straightening out the covers as I got up. I began walking downstairs, and shouting Katy at the same time, I wasn’t sure whether she’d left or maybe back, I wasn’t sure of the time. After no reply, I gathered she was still at work, so I made myself a slice of toast and flopped down onto the sofa. Then I remembered something. I jumped up from the sofa and sprinted up the stairs, then I pushed open the door to my room. I scanned the room until my bag was in sight. I began rummaging through it until I found it. The letter Katy had wrote to me just over a week ago. I ran back downstairs and threw myself back onto the couch, ripping open the closed envelope as I did. I carefully pulled out the folded lined piece of paper full of Katy’s handwriting and began reading. 

Dear Samantha, 

                        I know you don’t want to hear from me right now, but I really have to get through to you somehow. Phone calls end up being put down and texts are too simple. For the past couple of months the majority of things I say to you is ’sorry’, because I keep screwing up. When I say to you that I love you, I mean it, more than anything. Sometimes I look at you and wonder how you’re mine, trust me I know what I’ve lost when I left you all those years ago. Last night I lead in bed and actually asked myself what the hell I was doing, because you are right, I was putting my job before you. A simple phone call wasn’t much of you to ask from me, yet I made it such a big deal. You asked why I couldn’t spare ten minutes for you, truth is I could spare months or years for you if I had to. I know whilst you’re reading this you’re annoyed at me, probably hating on me and wishing I hadn’t told you the truth at the hospital. Sometimes I ask myself if it has just ruined our relationship by telling you, but I wouldn’t change it. Lying to you these past 15 years has been so painful, and I think you deserved to know the truth, although, I agree I did tell you at the wrong time and place. Samantha, I honestly cannot apologize enough for how much I have let you down since I’ve been in LA, and every other time I have. I told you that you are number 1 in my life, and you are! You come before everything, including this job that I‘ve been so caught up in recently. I will do anything for you, I promise. I know I’ve made it quite hard for you to trust me, but this time you have to, because the most important thing in the world to me is you. You’re my daughter, the thing I’m most proud of in my whole life and I’ll do anything it takes to make things right. I know you’re 15, but you’ll always be my baby. I love you so much my angel and I hope to see you soon, if we can sort this out. 

Love Always, Katy.         X   

I sat smiling down to myself, before putting the letter back in the envelope. I got up and placed the letter on the marble fireplace. Then I noticed the glass framed picture of me and Katy stood up on it. It was a picture from years ago, I must have been about 7 years old. Katy was knelt down beside me with her arms wrapped tightly around my little waist and we were both smiling cutely at the camera. I don’t actually remember the picture being taken, but I remember the day. I just stood staring at the picture, it brought back memories of how close me and Katy used to be. I was like her shadow. I was cut out of my trans by Katy coming through the front door. I was holding the picture in my hand, when Katy walked into the living room. 

“Hey, what you looking at?” Katy asked me. 

I smiled at her before holding up the picture, “just looking at this.” 

Katy studied the picture for a few seconds then began walking towards me. 

“Look how cute you were.” She ran her finger over the picture as she spoke.