Chapter 38- Our Child. Our Daughter.

I came down stairs the next morning to see Katy working at the kitchen table. She was chewing on the end of her pen and looking confused.

“Morning,” I said.

She tore her eyes away from the papers in front of her and smiled up at me, “Morning baby.”

I tried to peer over her shoulder without her seeing me, trying to get a glance at the new material she was writing in her notebook. There were scribbles, rewritten sentences and a hell of a lot of crossings out.

“Why are you up writing at this time?”

My eyes flickered to the clock on the wall that read: ‘8:07am’. This wasn’t part of Katy’s usual routine, not unless she was booked in at the studio or had meetings to attend. She wasn’t really much of a morning person.

Katy put the pen down on the table and looked at me, “I had an idea this morning. I just woke up and it came to me, just out of the blue, so I came down and got it on paper before I forgot it. The next thing I knew a whole song was just coming out of me, but I’m struggling for a bridge.”

“What’ve you got so far?” I asked.

She slid the notebook over to the end of the table. I sat on a chair opposite her and began reading through her new lyrics. It was a love song. The feeling I got when reading Katy’s lyrics was amazing, it was like I could feel how she does when she’s writing them.

I got to the bridge and looked closely at what she’d written. I thought for a moment. I could feel Katy’s eyes on me as I stared down at her book.

“You could repeat the first sentence,” I spun the book around to Katy and pointed at the first sentence of the bridge. “But change the last word on this part to ‘forever’.”

She looked down and a smile took over her face. She quickly picked up her pen and scribbled what I’d just said down onto the paper. Then something else popped into my head.

“And for the last part, you could put something like ‘and now it seems much more real to me’. It might not go with the tune you have in mind though,” I shrugged.

Katy didn’t hesitate, she just grinned and quickly wrote down what I had just said. “No, no, it does. That’s perfect. Thank you.”

I just looked up at her and smiled.

“Wow, and I thought I was the songwriter.”

“You are. I don’t even know where that came from to be honest. It just came out.”

I couldn’t believe Katy had just taken my ideas and used them in her lyrics. It felt good. Like she was proud of me for helping her out with something that was so close to her heart. Songwriting.

“It came from me. Your secret expertise you’ve been hiding came from me. My genes.” She winked.

“I haven’t been hiding any expertise. I didn’t even know I would be able to come up with anything good enough for a song, never mind a song for a pop star.” I said the words ‘pop star’ with a posh accent, making Katy chuckle a little bit.

“Well it was really good, I’m proud of you.”

I gave her a big cheesy grin, before remembering something from yesterday and narrowing my eyes at her.

“I think you owe me a detailed conversation,” I thought about what I had just said and quickly changed it. “Actually no, let me rephrase. I think you owe me a conversation...I don’t want the disgusting details.”

“Details? Conversation? On what?”

I jogged her memory, “Well you and Oliver have been getting pretty close recently. And when I say ‘pretty close’ I mean pretty much all over each other.”