Chapter 5- Aftermath

It was cold. I opened my eyes, the room was upside down, my head was laying flat against the cold laminate flooring. My body ached and my back was sore, gradually I sat up, holding onto the wall for support and sliding my hand across it looking for the light switch. I flicked it on, shutting my eyes as soon as the bright light hit them, then reopening them. I looked up at the clock on the wall '2:45am' it was pitch black outside and the house was quiet, my parents were in bed. I quietly put on a pair of red converse and a hollister jacket, zipping it up to my chin and began walking down the stairs. I played around with the key in the door, slowly pulling it open, I felt the freezing cold air hit my body and cause goosbumps on my skin. I walked forward, stepping outside and pulling the door shut. It was so dark, the road was lit up by the tall street lights that hung above it. I kept walking, it was like my body was in control, like my legs were moving for themselves and I didn't know how to stop them.  I wasn't even sure if I wanted to stop them, I needed to get away, I needed to forget everything. So I kept going, I didn't know where I was going, I didn't know where I would stop, but I had to get away...

[Katy and Shannon]

Katy was staying in a hotel near Santa Barbara beach with Shannon, she had a flight for tomorrow to go back to LA. She sat on the sofa in the pitch black staring at the tv, her eyes hurt and she was tired but her body wouldn't let her sleep, her mind was keeping her awake thinking of other things. Sammie. It was late, well early hours. Shannon was in bed, she didn't want to leave Katy up on her own but Katy insisted she went to bed, so she did. The light to Shannon's bedroom door flashed on and her door quietly opened. Shannon's little shadow was seen on the ground as she walked out of her bedroom and looked for the light switch, she found it and turned it on. The pitch black room now lit up revealing Katy's body slouched on the leather white couch. "Shit!" Shannon squealed when she saw Katy. She rose her hand to her chest feeling her heart beating under her skin. "Kate, it's nearly three in the morning, why are you still up?" 

"Watching tv," Katy replied. Shannon walked closer to Katy and looked at the tv screen. 

"The tv's not even on?" She sat down on the sofa next to Katy, she knew it was hard for her and couldn't bare to see her bestfriend so broken. 

"I couldn't sleep," Katy quietly admitted. 

"You should have woken me," 

Katy shook her head and continued to stare at the tv, breathing only once every ten seconds. Shannon put her hand on her leg and instantly pulled away, standing up and running into her bedroom. "Katy you're freezing!" she gasped, running back out with a huge double duvet off her bed. She threw herself back down next to Katy and opened her arms, "come here silly," Katy shifted her body closer to Shannon's and put her head on her chest, then wrapped her arm tightly around her waist. Shannon rested her head on Katy's and cuddled her tight, pulling the duvet over the two of them. She could tell Katy was worrying, she hadn't seen her bestfriend like this before and she didn't know what to do. 

"It's going to be okay you know," Shannon cooed, she didn't know if that was necessarily true but she reassured her anyway. 

Katy didn't reply, she knew it wasn't going to be okay, she knew she'd lost the most important thing in her life. And there was nothing she could do or say to make things right. Shannon began playing with Katy's hair, twisting it and curling it between her fingers, Katy's eyes slowly shut and no matter how much she tried to fight it, she fell asleep. 

[Next day] 

It was 10am, Mary was in the kitchen making breakfast and Keith had just got back from preaching. He slid his shoes off and followed the smell of food into the kitchen. "Mmm,"