Chapter 32- Let Me Apologise

[Katy’s POV] 

My hands were shaking with anger, my eyes were sore from tears and I was so tired. I’d barely got a wink of sleep last night after what happened, and I doubt sleeping tonight was going to be easy either. Not it things weren’t sorted.

I stood in the middle of my front room, covering my mouth with both of my hands in the hope to sort myself out. I took deep breaths, then rubbed the remaining tears from my eyes with the backs of my hands. I’d just come off the phone to Oliver, telling him about what had happened, he was on his way, though I’m not sure what use it was. 

It was only two minutes later that I saw Oliver pulling up in my drive. I hurried to the door and ran outside to him, just doing what I needed to do and hugging him tightly. He looked a little taken back at first, but it wasn’t long before I felt him hugging me back. 

“What happened?” He worriedly asked. 

Oliver was leant back against his car with me in his arms, not even having chance to get inside the house. 

“We had this huge argument,” I sobbed. 

“Sh sh sh,” He cooed, rubbing my back as I cried. “What did you argue about?” 

I tried to think about how it all started. To be honest, I don’t even know how this happened. Yesterday everything was so perfect, then she called me mom and it got so much better. Now this. 

“I really don’t know, but I’m guessing she told you about last night?” I sniffled. 

“Yeah she did. I thought that when I’d dropped her back off that you two were gonna sort things out.” 

I sighed, “Me too.” 

We stayed like this for a little while longer, him just gently stroking my back and running his fingers through my hair. Flashbacks of us as teenagers were constantly running through my head. 

[Flashback] 

We were driving to Santa Barbara beach in Oliver’s mustang, Madonna playing on the radio and his hand on my thigh. I cuddled into the side of his arm as he drove, until we pulled up outside an empty area of the beach. The sun was just setting and the water was gentle and calm, it was beautiful. 

Oliver linked his hand with mine whilst we walked onto the beach, then laying down a blanket on the sand. I laid there in his arms for what felt like hours, just playing with his fingers in mine and looking out into the ocean. 

“I don’t ever want to leave,” I whispered into his neck. 

“Me either, it’s perfect here.” 

I pushed the thoughts of Oliver going back to the Army tomorrow for five whole months to the back of my mind. I felt like crying, begging him to stay and not to leave me, but it was his duty and that wouldn’t be fair, so I fought back the tears and just enjoyed the remainder of the time I had left with him. 

I wore the promise ring he’d given to me last week for my birthday every single day, and I swore to him that I’d never take it off. I suppose it was a way of us still being together when he was away. 

[End of flashback] 

Me and Oliver stood in the kitchen, his hand on my back as I looked into thin air. It was like he’s always been here, that he never left fifteen years ago and only walked back into my life a few months ago. 

“Is she alright?” 

I shrugged my shoulders, “I don’t think she even cares to be honest. She didn’t seem to care what she was saying or how she was talking to me.”