Chapter 33- It's all different

It had been exactly sixteen days later. A tiring Monday that consisted of classes I couldn’t be bothered with, then coming home to, once again, an empty house. I couldn’t actually believe how much things had changed in the space of sixteen days. Usually every night, me and Katy would curl up on the sofa and watch a movie, tucked up in a duvet all cosy, but now… we had barely even spoke. The only time we spoke to each other was when we told each other we were leaving the house, and even then it was just a simple ’I’m going out’. No tone in our voices at all. It was horrible. 

Going back to school after our break was quite relieving actually. Getting out of the house and being in a different atmosphere felt so good, since at home things just weren’t good at all. I had kept my head in my books, focusing hard in my lessons. First reason for this being I wanted to be as successful as Katy one day, but secondly, maybe if Katy knew how hard I was working she would be proud of me. She might tell me how well I’m doing and then we’ll get back on track somehow. 

Every lesson was the same, jotting notes down in my books as the teacher went through what we were studying. The last couple of years at school are definitely stressful, and since I had a lot on my mind at the minute, I was starting to become a little too over stressed. The studying, the work at home, the quantity of work being given to do… it all effects the rest of our lives, but as I was trying my best to focus completely on my future, things going on at home were just stuck in my head constantly. All day. Everyday. 

Sometimes I wondered if there’s any point. Who am I trying to impress here? I’ve always done well in school, even in Santa Barbara, but it’s like they have even higher expectations for me here in LA. Probably because of my past results in Dos Pueblos, but I was pushing myself, hoping to get something more out of it.  Praising. And yeah, I got it, but off my teachers. They were telling me how good I was doing, even earning myself a Head masters achievement. But the one person I wanted the praise from was Katy, she was the one person I was working my ass off for. And myself of course. Yet when I went home, she’d never ask, she wouldn’t go through my school bag looking at my work like she used to. It’s like she’s just managed to switch that part of herself off. I didn’t even bother giving her my ‘Head master’s achievement’ certificate. I threw it onto my dressing table and didn’t tell her a word, she wouldn’t care anyway. So for the past week now I’ve just not bothered. It’s like she’s switched herself off and so have I. I come home from school having learnt nothing because I just can’t concentrate, but when I get home and there’s nobody in, or Katy is doing something that obviously doesn’t involve me, that’s when I take the time to study. To try to take my mind off things.

It was actually quite jaw dropping how different things were. There’s been a couple of times when I’ve attempted to put things right, sort out whatever were going through, but it seems that whenever I make an effort she just pushes me away. I’d build up the courage to talk to her, but I would either get the reply ’Can’t talk I’m busy’ or ’Got work’ or if I walked into a room, a couple of minutes later she’d walk out. Last night for instance, Katy was downstairs drinking hot chocolate and watching a movie. I’d just finished my English homework so I decided to go downstairs and join her. I sat on the opposite end of the couch, pulling a bit of her blanket over me. She made no eye contact what so ever, not even when I spoke to her. 

“How was work?” I asked, making an effort to make some sort of conversation with my own mother.

Katy kept her eyes glued to the television, before replying, “Fine. I’m tired so I’m going to bed.” 

Then as if hating my company, Katy got up from her hair and walked out of the room. 

“Night.” I raised my voice a little since she wasn’t in the same room. I knew for a fact she heard me, she just decided not to reply.