Chapter 11- Ste Jefferson.

I was sat in my kitchen, twirling on my stool and reading a magazine. My mom was sweetly humming along to the radio whilst making us both a coffee. Then the light that was reflecting off of my magazine was cut off as my mom placed the cup down in front of me, she sat down on the stool and sipped her coffee. 

"What are you doing today sweetie?" 

I winced as I took a sip of the still burning hot coffee. "Ste's back from England, so he's coming here later on I think."

"Right, sounds nice. You have been struggling without him," My mom sighed. 

I knew what she was on about though. We had been off school for three weeks for Christmas and New Year, all through-out that time period Ste had been away. I hated not being able to walk around to his house whenever I was feeling shit, especially with the drama my family had been having recently. Ste was the one who would sit down and listen to me, we could sit in a room together for hours getting in deep and emotional conversations or just laugh randomly about the first things that come to mind. He would cuddle me into him and say soothing words that would make me feel like everything was going to be okay. I have found it hard without him, he is my bestfriend. 

I looked up at my mom and shrugged my shoulders. 

"We've spoken a couple of times on the phone," I said, refering back to mine and Ste's short 5-10 minute conversations we had. 

"How much does he know?" 

"Pretty much everything, he's the only person I can properly talk to about it. Plus I trust him so I know he wont tell anyone," I hopped off my chair to put my empty cup into the sink. My mom turned around to face me. 

"Because of the tabloids and that?" 

"Mmhm," I sighed, "I'm just Katy's little secret I suppose." 

"I'm sure it's not like that. Samantha, you know I am here whenever you need to talk. And Katy would want you to talk to her too," My mom frowned. She hated it when I couldn't talk to her about things, since we've always been close she would be the first person I go to about anything. But it hasn't been like that recently, I knew it, she knew it. Maybe this whole big 'Katy's your real mother' secret has damaged our relationship. God I hope not. 

"I know, but some things I can't speak to Katy about. I always feel like I'm upsetting her, then I end up saying the wrong thing and...well...eugh! It's just all so confusing."

My groaning was interrupted by a loud buzzing that echoed through the kitchen. My mom turned around and picked up her cell, then faced me and shook her head as if to say, 'it's not my cell'. I followed the buzzing towards where Katy's phone was lit up, it read 'John Calling'. 

"It's Katy's phone, John's ringing her. Should I answer it?" I asked my mom. 

"Yeah, tell him she's still in bed." 

I slid the green answer button across the screen then held the phone to my ear. 

I ended the call and returned Katy's phone back to where I found it. My mom was stood washing our cups in a sink full of soapy water. 

"Sammie, how are you?" 

I creased my eyebrows at the concern in my mom's voice, that three word question she just asked sounded like she was worried about me for some reason. 

"I'm good, why do you ask?" 

"No, I mean, how are you? After everything that's happened. Me and you haven't really had much time to talk, so I want to make sure you're coping. I know it's stressful. Trust me, I do."