Chapter Sixteen: 637

A.N. This is so short, I am so sorry.

As I crouched in that tree, frozen with fear, a thought hit me.  A dog barked, and I heard footsteps approaching the tree I was in.  

"C'mon Silver, just get down. You're not going to get away this time, why even try?" I heard a voice call.

"Please Peanut, you could get hurt. Just come down, please?" That was Mike. The wind had died down and the air was silent. I could see glimpses of the large cement hell they called BrickStone. 

"You leave us no choice Ms. Houston." A voice said, and I heard a match being lit. They were going to burn the tree? As I waited for the flames, I noticed there were none at my feet. I heard crackling and smelt burning wood, but there was nothing on my tree.  Wow. I almost sighed with relief. 

"Toby what are you doing, you're going to kill her! She's a stubborn mule, she won't come down." Mike groaned. I could see him and a few other people looking at the tree beside me. A car rolled up, and a person got out. 

"Silver! Get your ass down here now, I swear to god." Tyler threatened. If I planned this right, I could land through the sunroof of his car. People did that in the movies, didn't they? I shifted a little bit, it was in clean sight now. 

"Idiots! She's probably not in that tree.  She's probably deeper in the forest, go! All of you, split up!" He shouted. I had to move before he got into the car. Steadying myself, I jumped through the roof. Slamming onto the seat, I smashed my head on the wheel, making the horn beep. Tyler turned around and I floored it.  I was a little down the way when I turned around.  Tyler was standing there, looking at me. 

Smiling. 

I sped up, trying to get away from that grin. Driving down the dirt road, I tried to open the window. It wouldn't open. Just in case, I checked the doors. They wouldn't open either. Panic took over as  I realised his little trap.  The sunroof had just closed automatically.

Maya. She must have done this, or some mechanic. I opened the glove compartment and saw a piece of paper.

Silver, 

Once you've driven for five minutes, this car will fill with laughing gas. The car will go on it's own, and you can't open the doors. You need to smash the window somehow, there's a foldable crowbar I invented in the compartment. 

P.S. Don't break the window before the gas goes off, and destroy this note before it destroys me.

-Maya

"Thank god." I whispered. I was in a horrible situation, but now I knew how to deal with it. Looking deeper in the compartment, I found a passport with my photo, and a bunch of bills. The only question was how did Maya know which car Tyler would take. He had probably told her to trick it out, knowing I would take it.  I had the luck of the devil with Maya. Grabbing the crowbar, I unfolded it. What a cool invention. This was probably my biggest streak of luck I had ever had.

The air became heavy as the gas set in. I immediately started to smash against the window, and tiny cracks began to form. I finally broke through, just as I was getting weak. Throwing myself out the window, I rolled until I hit a tree.  The car continued to drive straight, then stopped and turned itself around. It then went back the way I came.  I quickly started to walk through the forest, but stopped when I heard voices. 

"I'm telling you, this has got to be the best vacation ever!" I heard a guy say. Maybe they could help, I needed a ride.

"I don't see what's so amazing about it Eddy. Let's just rest, and let mom and dad catch up to us." I leaned against a tree to rest, then trudged towards them. They came into view, and I collapsed in front of them.