i wont walk away

(jangmi's POV)

my phone rang obnoxiously loud, interrupting whatever ryujin was about to say, again.

i looked at the caller ID, it was keeho.

i was about to excuse myself and walk away for some privacy, but i was scared i'd come back and find ryujin gone.

I decided i won't walk away.

instead, sitting right next to her, i pressed the green button and immediately heard the loud music that we so hard tried to escape.

"HELLO?"

i had to move the phone away from my ear from how loud it was.

"hey, keeho, everything good, my love?

"YES, I CALLED TO MAKE SURE YOUR DOING OKAY. I'M SORRY I COULDN'T COME BACK AND JOIN YOU. WE'LL LEAVE SOON, THOUGH!"

he probably couldn't hear how loud he was yelling because of the music.

"i'm doing good! it was getting loud inside, so im sitting outside with a friend. i'll be here whenever you get out!"

"OKAY! I WON'T MAKE YOU WAIT TOO LONG. ILL BE OUT SOON, I LOVE YOU!"

"love you, too."

he ended the call this time. i sighed and then put my phone back in my pocket. i glanced over at the silent ryujin next to me and watched her tracing the design on the concrete.

"he seems really sweet." she said without looking at me.

"he is. I've never met anyone who is as caring as him. he makes me feel safe ."

so do you, i was going to tell her, because for some reason I just feel safe around her, but that would be just as random and weird as her "fate" comment, so i just kept my mouth shut. we sat in comfortable silence for what felt like hours. i was too nervous to bring up our rose situation, and, most likely, so was she.

i started shivering. when did it get so cold?

i saw ryujin face me in my peripheral vision, then i felt her warm fingers caress my arm.

"are you cold? you're freezing." ryujin asked.

i got goosebumps. "n-no im good."

she scoffed, "no you're not."

i was going to disagree, but i saw her take off the jacket she was wearing, and place it around my shoulders, and immediately, the warmth of her jacket comforted me.

i glanced at her. "you didn't have to do that."

"i'm wearing long sleeves, you're not. plus, i'm not cold, so you need it more than i do." she responded, still concentrated on tracing the concrete.

"thank you." was all i could whisper.

the silence engulfed us again, except, this time it made me nervous.

...

after what seemed like hours, the door behind us swung open, and immediately we could hear the throbbing music again.

i turned my head back and saw a tipsy keeho.

"babbbyyy, im sorry for keeping you waiting. let's gooo." he slurred.

i rushed over to him and grabbed him. he was in no condition to drive me home. i grabbed the car keys from his pocket and tossed him around my shoulders.

"nice jackettttt." he said while patting my head.

i glanced at ryujin and saw her already staring at me. i gave her a little smile.

"come on keeho, let me get you to the car. i'll drive you home."

"good ideaaaa." he agreed.

after a lot of effort, and declining ryujin's help multiple times, i was finally able to get him into the passenger's side. i was about to get into the driver's seat, before i remembered i was still wearing ryujin's jacket. i walked back to the front porch to find ryujin still there, thankfully. i peeled the jacket off, and immediately, i missed the warmth it provided.

"thank you for letting me use your jacket." i said, as i handed it to her.

"keep it." she said without looking up at me, but pushing my hands away.

"no, ryujin, this is yours. i can't keep it."

"it's okay, keep it as a memory of today." she replied.

i chuckled, "i think i'll remember this day, with or without your jacket." most definitely i will. i don't think it'd be that easy to forget, anyways.

she finally looked up at me. "just keep it." she said while smiling.

i couldn't help but smile back. "okay, i will. just for you, but i have to go now, keeho is waiting in the car." i said, motioning to his car.

ryujin stood up and grabbed my arm, preventing me from walking away. she stepped closer closer to me. "goodbye, jangmi." she said while grabbing my hand. "if you see another rose, don't ignore it, maybe we might bump into each other again."

i felt my cheeks turn pink. "don't worry, i won't." i said as i slowly disconnected our hands and walked away.

hopefully i encounter another million red roses if it means seeing her again.