change of plans

jangmi pov

i took a deep breath and stood up, "excuse me," i whispered to the flight attendant to get her attention, "i need to get off of this plane." i said once she turned her attention to me.

"why?" she asked, probably because of protocol. she was probably thinking i left a bag or forgot something in the airport, however it was nothing like that.

i wanted to get off because it wasn't fair.

i couldn't disappear and leave ryujin to deal with the repercussions.

it was so selfish of me to even think of agreeing to go to the states.

to let people talk bad about ryujin while i was on a plane to a country who'd accept me with open arms.

i cleared my throat, "there was a change of plans." i simply responded to the flight attendant, suddenly feeling the air heavy around me. i was scared. scared of what might be the outcome of my decision.

it took her a second, but she nodded and stepped aside to let me out.

whether i'd get in trouble, get my contract revoked, or get hate from everybody, i wasn't going to let ryujin deal with it all by herself. she always accepted me with open arms—and now it's my turn to do the same.

my plan was to get out of this airport and find ryujin wherever she may be, to comfort her and be there for her like she has always done for me.

as i walked out of the terminal, the flight attendant at the desk approached me.

"Ms. jangmi," he said, "is everything okay?" he looked slightly startled, probably because i just randomly walked out of the plane minutes before it would take off.

i nodded, "everything's okay. there was just a change of plans. thank you." i responded, but quickly walked away to avoid any further questioning.

my head was spinning and i was anxious of the reaction i'd get from my manager for not leaving, but nonetheless, i wasn't going to go back on that plane. even if ryujin hated me for leaving her just like that with a mere text message being her only reasoning from me, even if my life would turn upside down, i was going to go back and fix everything.

i was lost in my thoughts, when suddenly, my body harshly collided with another and we fell to the ground.

the other person groaned, "sorry!" they exclaimed, as i gently rubbed my head.

my eyes widened once i was able to register who the face was.

"hey.." i muttered, "it's you again."

the stranger who had approached me once i first arrived at the airport looked down at me and smiled once she recognized who i was before offering me a hand, "your plane is about to leave, no?" she asked, ignoring what i had just said, as i pulled myself up,

i dusted myself off before nodding, "i'm not going on it, though." i said as i looked at the stranger.

"good." she said while nodding with approval, "i think you made the right choice."

i smiled, "what's your name, by the way?" i asked, which i should've done sooner, but it never occurred to me, and i didn't want to keep referring her as stranger.

"yeongseo." she replied, flashing me a smile, "son yeongseo."

her smile immediately dropped into a sad one as she checked her phone, "my plane leaves soon." she said, returning her gaze to me, "i wish i could be here for you in case you need a hand, but i think whatever happens now is really just all up to you." she said, as i watched her disappointed face. somehow, i was sad to depart from this now half-stranger, too.

i pursed my lips and nodded, "have a safe flight, yeongseo." i said before giving her one last big hug.

she quietly squealed, "god! you can't just do stuff like that with no warning. you keep forgetting that i'm like your #1 biggest fan. i've idolized you for years and here you are giving me hugs!" she said, her inner fan girl finally coming out. i laughed and playfully hit her shoulder, "you better catch that flight." i said.

she nodded, and her eyes became glossy, "i'm probably gonna spend the entire flight crying. it's not everyday you meet your idol and have to leave them forever, you know?" this time, i felt kind of sad, too. this was one of my first interactions with a fan that was as natural and wholesome as this, and it was sad to think it'd be long before i get to experience this again, if ever.

i shook my head, "don't you fret. next concert i have, your coming. floor seats and maybe even backstage, too." i offered, as i pulled out my phone and quickly typed my event manager's email, "whenever i have a concert that you can attend, just send an email to this address and i will make sure you get to come, for free."

she looked up at me with wide eyes before snapping a picture of the email i typed. she looked as if she wanted to cry, so i pushed her away. if she started crying in front of me, i would probably break down, too. "goodbye for now!" i yelled, as she made her way towards her gate.

i swiftly rotated to the opposite direction to head towards the exit of the airport, dedicated to complete what i had initially started, until i bumped into somebody, once again.

"jangmi..."