64

"Dani?" Yuki jogged towards the Red Bull driver.

"Hey," Daniella smiled at the Japanese driver. The qualifying for the Mexican Grand Prix was just over and she secured P3, which is not so bad.

"I am really sorry," Yuki apologized, his face looking sad. "You didn't get pole because of me."

The Alpha Tauri driver was in the wrong place at the wrong time when Daniella went slightly off track, causing her to not get the fastest time and both Mercedes securing the front line.

"Hey," she gave a gentle smile as she put her hand on his shoulder. "It's not your fault, there is nothing you could have done."

"But everyone is saying it's my fault," Yuki looked down, his voice almost breaking.

"And by everyone do you mean Christian?" Daniella asked, feeling bad for the driver in front of him.

Yuki nodded as he looked up.

"Don't listen to him, he is...he is crazy," Daniella tried to comfort him. "He says and does things without thinking. And I don't blame you for what happened today."

Yuki gave a small smile, feeling slightly better.

"Yuki," Pierre walked towards the duo. "They are calling us for debriefing."

"Go," Daniella smiled. "And stop blaming yourself."

The Japanese driver nodded and walked towards the Alpha Tauri garage.

"He seems pretty bumped," Pierre watched his teammate walk away.

"Yeah..poor guy," Daniella replied. "Christian really needs to think before blaming someone to the media otherwise one day he is going to hurt someone badly."

Pierre's heart skipped a beat as Daniella said that.

***

"You asked to see me?" Daniella asked as he entered Christian Horner's office.

"Yes, please have a seat Daniella," Christian gave a smile as he pulled out a file.

"Is this about Yuki?" she asked as she took her seat. "Cause I don't think he did anything wrong."

"It is not about Yuki, it is about you," Christian opened the file.

Daniella sat back and waited for the team principal to continue.

"As you know you have a three year contract with us...and there is a clause that if you don't perform up to the expectations then we can demote you to Alpha Tauri..."

"But I have been performing better than Max," Daniella pointed out. "And I am leading the championship."

"Yes," Christian nodded. "But me and Marko are worried...there has been a rumor going on that Toto Wolff is once again trying to sign you.

"Hmm..well, you do seem like a guy who makes decisions based on rumors," Daniella sassed, followed by a sarcastic smile.

Christian was taken aback but the comment. She has never talked to him or anyone in Red Bull like that.

"No umm..that's not true," he let out a nervous laugh. "We are just worried. The regulations next year are different, and if we don't win the driver's championship this year then..."

"Then?"

"Well..if you fail to win this year then we have decided that you will be demoted to Alpha Tauri," Christian said sternly. "With the regulations changed we believed a more experienced driver will be better in the second seat."

Daniella didn't say anything and just processed what she was just told.

"It all depends on your performance Dani," Christian tried to sound concerned. "And I am sure you and Pierre will make a great team if you get..."

"So this is your way of encouraging me to win or are you threatening me?" Daniella asked.

"Ummm..encouraging you, and of course I want what is best for the team."

Daniella nodded as she stood up and sighed.

"My lawyer will contact you after the race."

***

"So it's final then?" Lando asked his girlfriend as he drove the car.

"Yes," Daniella nodded. "My lawyer will talk to Christian after the race, and I will talk to Toto."

"Are you nervous or scared?" he asked, feeling concerned.

"A little," Daniella admitted. "I mean it's a huge step and risk, but at this point, I would rather drive for Haas than Red Bull."

Lando nodded as he hold her hand. "Everything will work out. I am sure you will do amazing in Mercedes."

Daniella looked at him and gave a tired smile.

"At least Netflix will have a field day."

**********

AN: Do you think Dani is making the right decision?