87

Daniella woke up relaxed and smiling but as soon as she realized it's the last race day of the season and the day she has to perform her best to win the championship she started getting nervous. Lando who was sleeping next to her work up shortly and found Daniella sitting next to him, her head resting on her hands.

"Hey," he lazily sat up, wrapped his arm around her, and placed a kiss on her cheek. "The day hasn't even started yet and you are already nervous?"

"I can't help it," Daniella mumbled. "What if I don't win today?"

"Then there is always next year," Lando replied as he rested his chin on her shoulder. "You are a rookie in your first year and you have already proven yourself, I don't think anyone will be mad at you if you don't win."

"I know an entire energy drink team who will be mad at me if I don't win," Daniella nervously chuckled. "And what if something goes wrong that messes up the race or..or my car? Or what if..."

"Ellie," Lando slightly moved forward and cupped her face. "Stop overthinking. All those things that you are worried about are outside of your control, okay?"

Daniella slightly nodded.

"So just try to clear your mind and try to enjoy the last race," he softly said before pressing a gentle kiss against her lips.

"But what if.."

"No!" Lando pressed his finger against Daniella's lips. "No more what ifs."

***

"Why do you look pale?" Max asked immediately after he saw Daniella.

"Because I am so nervous that I think my soul left my body," Daniella replied as she let out a shaky breath.

"You know one of the reasons I love you is because you never let go of your humor even when you are nervous," Max said as he threw his arm around her shoulder.

Daniella didn't reply as she tried to remember all the strategies. She would have preferred a lot better if the champion was decided a couple of races before the last one, at least then she wouldn't have been as anxious as she is now.

"Dani, calm down," Max gently patted her back, trying to help her relax. "You will do just fine, and I will be there with you till the chequered flag to help you win."

"Please keep a getaway car ready in case I need to escape after I lose to Lewis."

"Okay, I will keep the car ready," Max laughed.

***

As soon as Daniella put on her helmet and sat in her car all her emotions went away, and now replaced by only the aim to finish the race ahead of Lewis.

"All the best Dani, we are all counting on you," Christian said to her before moving out of the way and taking his seat at the pit wall.

Daniella let out a deep breath as she looked at the red lights and as soon as the lights were out she and Lewis started to race each other.

Lewis was quick to take the lead but Daniella was very close behind, challenging him and his position.

Lando sadly went wide and lost his third position and is now down to fifth and Max moved up to fourth.

Daniella managed to overtake Lewis on the fifth lap but he quickly took the position back but she was not backing out and around the next corner she once again overtook him. Max was closing up behind Lewis, putting him under pressure.

After the tenth lap Daniella went in for her pit stop to change tires and Lewis once again got the lead. But as soon as Daniella came out of the pit lane and was behind Carlos at P6 Lewis was called in for his pit stop.