2

"What the hell are you doing here?" Caroline yawned as she entered her living room. It was an off day and she didn't expect to find her teammate watching tv in her living room so early in the morning.

"Kelly is in my apartment," Max replied without looking away from the tv.

"So?" Caroline lazily dragged her legs to the kitchen and got herself a glass of water.

"She came over last night," he huffed. "and didn't leave."

"And that is supposed to explain why you are in my house watching tv with full volume?" Caroline looked annoyed. Her plan was to sleep an extra couple of hours but obviously, max disrupted her sleep, and now she is somewhat grumpy and annoyed.

Max sighed as he turned off the tv and looked at Caroline. "I am trying to break up with her but she is not letting me."

"Still doesn't answer my question."

"Every time I try to break up she gets all emotional and vulnerable...and then she starts kissing me...and we end up having sex," he explained. "The same thing happened last night and I can't take it anymore so I came here."

"So let me get this straight," Caroline put the glass down and walked towards Max, trying to hold her laughter. "The arrogant Max Verstappen doesn't have the courage to break up with his girlfriend and is now hiding in my house."

"Shut up!," he rolled his eyes. "I don't have a phd in breaking up with partners like you do."

"Cheap shot Verstappen." Caroline put her hand over her heart and pretended to be hurt.

Max smirked, thinking he got the win.

"Do you want me to call Kelly and tell her that you are here?" Caroline innocently said as she was about to go to her bedroom to get her phone.

Max immediately jumped up and hold her arm, stopping her to take another step.

"No no no," he panicked. "She thinks I went for a run. She will create a whole new issue if she finds out I lied."

"And how long are you going to be running?" Caroline smirked.

"Till I get a text from her that she left my house."

***

"What is all this? Max asked as Caroline was filling up a box with some stuff that clearly don't belong to her.

"These are all Tyler's things," she explained.

"Tyler?" Max looked confused.

"My ex..." she looked up at her teammate.

"I thought you were dating that architect," Max tried to remember.

"Broke up with him last year. Tyler is a photographer."

"And he isn't the right guy for Caroline Decker?" Max sassed as she finished putting all the things in the box.

"He wants commitment," she replied as she rolled her eyes at Max who was smirking.

"And as usual it scared the hell out of you."

"Shut up!" she pushed him out of the way. "I told him at the beginning that I have issues with commitment and..."

"And he thought he can change your mind," Max laughed, earning a glare from Caroline.

"You are enjoying this too much for someone who is hiding from his girlfriend."

***

Max hid in the bedroom as Caroline gave the 'it's not you, it's me' speech to her now ex boyfriend who came to pick up his stuff. All he could think is how that guy was stupid to think he can change Caroline's mind. He has known her for some time now and he is learned very well that there is no one who could change her mind, thinking, or believes.

Caroline felt guilty as she handed Tyler his box and closed the door behind him, but then again he knew very well what he was getting into. He just thought she will change her decision after a few months.

"That was brutal," Max came out.

"Yeah!," Caroline groaned as she closed her eyes and covered her face with her hands. "I blame my parents for all this."

"Good," Max patted her back, trying to comfort her. "Easier to blame the people who messed you up."

Caroline nodded as she sat on the couch comfortably.

"Kelly is still in your house?" Caroline looked at Max who forgot about his girlfriend for a couple of hours. "It's been four hours, are you planning on staying here all day."

"I don't know if she is still there or not," he replied honestly as he pulled out his phone to see if he has any new texts. "She hasn't called or texted."

"Then you call her."

Max nodded as he dialed the number.

Caroline's mind was on her recent break up as Max talked to his girlfriend.

She needs a constant person in her life but her scared of commitment doesn't allow her that. She has seen her parents fight and cheat on each other a lot and she is scared she will end up like them, even though she has never broken anyone's trust or cheated.

Max ended the call and looked at his teammate who was deep in thoughts.

"She is waiting for me," he said as he shook Caroline to break her train of thoughts. "And she is making lunch for me, so now I have to go home."

"You will never be able to break up with her," Caroline teased him.

Max playfully hit her.

"But my house is always open for you to hide."  

**********

A/N: Thoughts about Caroline and Max?

What do you think about Caroline's commitment issue?

Also, nothing against Kelly and I will not portray her in a bad light and her appearances will be minimum.