44

"This is ridiculous," Eloise groaned as she stood next to Caroline. "I should be at home right now, packing my bags for Mykonos, but instead I am here at this stupid event."

"You were the one who forced me to accept my invitation," Caroline pointed out. "And now you want to go home?"

"That was months ago before I knew that the event would be this boring and we will be leaving for our vacation the next day," Eloise argued.

Caroline chuckled. She doesn't have an ounce of tension as she has already packed her bags, and somehow knew Eloise would have left it to the very last hour to finish packing and stress about it.

"Uh oh!," Eloise froze which alerted Caroline.

"What is it?"

"Your first love and the man you kissed last week is here," Eloise replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"What? Where?" Caroline subtly looked around as she tried to hide her nervousness.

Eloise pointed in the right direction and Caroline spotted both the Mercedes drivers. Both were having a talk with some of their acquaintances.

Valtteri's eyes met Caroline's and he shot her a small subtle smile which even Caroline was not able to recognize. She looked away and turned her back.

Valtteri didn't bother to tell Lewis that Caroline is right across the hall but kept his eyes on her.

"Have you considered staring in a reality show about your life?" Eloise sarcastically asked. "You will make a lot of money."

***

Caroline tried her best to stay out of Lewis and Valtteri's sight as Eloise went to the washroom, leaving her alone.

She slightly jumped when she turned and came face to face with Valtteri, but thankfully Lewis was not with him.

"What do you want?" She asked sternly.

"We need to talk," Valtteri said.

"No we don't," Caroline quickly replied. "There is nothing to talk about."

"Really?" Valtteri smirked. "Then you won't mind if I scream right now and tell everyone here that we ki..."

Caroline immediately put her hand over his mouth to stop him from finishing the sentence.

"What is wrong with you?" She scolded the Mercedes driver before removing her hand.

"Nothing," He shrugged. "I am not scared of the media like you are."

"I am not scared of anything," Caroline pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Then come outside," Valtteri challenged her. "I have to talk to you."

Lewis stopped on his track once he noticed Caroline and Valtteri talking, but it soon looked like they were arguing. He was confused as he watched from afar, he didn't even know Caroline was also at the event. He was about to walk up to them but didn't get the chance as both of them walked out of the hall, only making him more confused.

***

"You kissed me back," Valtteri said once both were alone and away from everyone.

"What?" Caroline was taken aback.

"That day when I kissed you, you kis..."

"You shouldn't have kissed me," Caroline said bluntly. "It was not right."

"I know," Valtteri admitted. "But why did you kiss me back?"

Caroline studied his face, finding it all unusual since usually they only fight about the race and blame each other.