24

“Max is the one who cheated on his girlfriend and I get asked about his relationship status,” Caroline angrily snapped as soon as she saw Eloise.

Max who was not far away and was getting ready for the qualifying session heard his teammate loud and clear.

“Calm down,” Eloise said softly. “And I think you are being a little harsh on him. “

“That is because I never expected this kind of behaviour from him,” Caroline replied. “And I also can’t help but blame myself…he mistook Florence for me. And I can’t help but wonder if I ever gave him any mixed signals or anything…”

Eloise huffed as he put both her hands on Caroline’s shoulder, getting her full attention.

“Love is a mysterious thing my dear Caroline,” Eloise said, making the driver slightly cringe at the words. “Sometimes you fall for the least expected person or the wrong person without any reasonable explanation…but in this case I believe Max fell in love with the right person in the wrong time.”

“You are wrong,” Caroline replied. “I am not the right person and there is no right time.”

“Ughh!” Eloise was starting to frustrated. “Stop being in denial and open your eyes.”

Caroline just flipped her the finger and went over to her race engineer.

Eloise’s eyes shifted to Max who clearly heard the conversation. She opened her mouth to say something but he quickly turned around, not wanting to talk about his unrequited feelings or Caroline.

***

Lewis lazily opened his eyes in the middle of the night when his arm didn’t find Caroline next to him, but immediately became alert when he realize the other side of the bed was empty.

He sat up and look around, noticing the door to the balcony was open. He got out of bed to find Caroline.

Caroline was deep in thoughts but was pulled back to reality when she felt the familiar arms wrapped around her waist.

“What’s wrong?” Lewis asked in a soft tone as he gently kissed her neck before resting his chin on her shoulder.

“Couldn’t sleep, there is a lot of things in my mind right now,  Caroline replied as she put her hands on his, and leaned back into the comfort of his arms.

Lewis knows her well enough to figure out what or who is occupying her mind and preventing her from falling asleep.

“But you need to rest Care,” Lewis slightly tighten the grip around her to make her feel more comfortable. “We have a race tomorrow.”

“You are right,” Caroline turned and smiled. “I need to rest and gather my energy if I want to win the race.”

A chuckled left Lewis’ lip before he kissed her.

“I am not going to let you win.”

Caroline gave him a challenging look bit it soon disappeared when he suddenly picked her up in his arms and took her to the bed. She let out a giggle when he placed her on the bed. He gently caressed the side of her face before once again kissing her.

They pull each other closer and the kiss deepened.

***

“Who is he?” Max asked angrily as soon as he noticed the marks on Caroline’s neck.

“What?” Caroline looked confused.

“The bastard who gave you those marks,” he pointed at her neck. “Who is he?”

Caroline immediately covered her neck with the scarf which somehow got loose and exposed her neck.

“It’s none of your business Max,” she replied, feeling a bit embarrassed.

Max's jaw tighten and his anger was visible in his eyes.

“Don’t give me that look Max,” Caroline pointed at his face. “You have no right to know about my personal life.”

Before Max could argue Eloise interrupted them, making him take a step back.

“Hey, no fighting before the race,” she awkwardly smiled, trying to defuse the tension.

“Eloise..” Max warned the performance coach.

“I am not scared of you Max,” Eloise looked at him. “You think your are looking intimidating but instead you are looking like a jealous love sick puppy.”

Max was taken aback by her words and so was Caroline.

“And you,” Eloise turned to look at Caroline. “You really know how to complicate your life, don’t you?”

“I didn’t do anything,” Caroline defended herself.

“I would have believed you if I hadn’t saw who sneaked out of your bedroom this morning,” Eloise gave her a warning look.

Caroline’s eyes went wide, not know what to say.

Max was about to ask more questions but Caroline quickly pulled Eloise to her driver’s room and closed the door.

************

THE END

A/N: Thoughts on Lewis and Caroline?

Max and Caroline?

What do you think will happen next?