35

"I am fine Max," Caroline groaned as she dragged her luggage and unlocked the front door of her house. "You don't have to follow me."

"I am just worried about you," Max voiced his concern. "You haven't talked to me or anyone properly. You were silent through the entire flight.."

"What do you want me to say?" Caroline tiredly asked as she stepped inside her home and Max followed her. 

"Just an honest answer," Max softly said. "Are you okay?"

"No," Caroline replied, trying to keep her voice steady. "I am not okay, happy?"

Max stayed silent as he didn't know what to say that would comfort her. 

"I feel like a fool," Caroline's voice broke. "I fell for his lies and opened up my heart…I never do that, and the one time I did, it all turned out to be a sham," She broke down. "It was all my fault, I never should have trusted Lewis, let alone love him. And you, if you think I will magically fall in love with you now then you are wrong. I know that is the reason why you are here."

"Why are you lashing out at me?" Max argued. 

"Because I can't lash out at the person I want to," Caroline snapped back. "And you are here instead of him…" She cried. 

Max immediately pulled her into a hug and she didn't hesitate. She cried as she let go of herself. 

"None of this is your fault," Max softly said. "You were honest and genuine about your feelings, I know how much courage it took for you," He comforted her. "There is only one person to blame and it's Lewis."

Caroline sniffed as she let go of Max. 

"You are just saying that to make me feel better," She argued. "I know you are dying to say I told you so."

"No," Max replied honestly. "But I am dying to make him pay for what he did."

Caroline thought he was joking at first but soon realized that he was serious. 

"Max no," She said between her cries. "Promise me you won't do anything like that."

"You are still protecting Lewis?" 

"No," Caroline shook her head. "But I don't want you to get in any trouble."

***

Max stayed the night as per Caroline's request as she didn't want to be alone and he obliged with any complaint. He was the first one to wake up the next morning and was greeted by the peaceful sleeping face of Caroline. 

A faint smile appeared on his face as he admired her. He never expected Caroline to break down in front of him but she did last night, and since then he has been feeling even more protective of her. He knows she is or at least pretends to be strong but her heart is very delicate. 

Max checked his phone and realized it was almost ten in the morning. He carefully got out of the bed, trying his best not to disturb or wake Caroline up as he exited the room. 

He went into the kitchen as he was thirsty and got himself a glass of water. As he was scrolling through his phone and drinking he stumbled, making him lose the grip on the glass and water poured on him before the glass hit the floor and smashed. 

"Shit!" He cursed as he looked down and saw millions of pieces of glass on the floor. He then looked down at his tshirt and realized it was wet and took it off. 

He decided to clean up the mess before Caroline woke up and was about to look for the cleaning supplies but was stopped when the doorbell rang. 

Without giving much thought he went to answer the door but as soon as did, he wished he hadn't. 

"What are you doing here?" Max asked Lewis as he tried to control his anger. 

Lewis was taken aback and was confused. He didn't expect Max to be there, and shirtless nonetheless. 

"What are you doing here?" Lewis asked back. 

"What is going on?" Caroline asked as she walked towards them, not fully away and not aware that Lewis is at the door. She just heard that sound of the glass smashing and woke up. 

As soon as her eyes fell on Lewis she completely woke up. 

"Why are you here?" She asked as all the mental and emotional exhaustion from yesterday came back to her. 

"I came to.." Lewis' eyes traveled to Max and then back to Caroline. "I came to talk to you.."

Seeing Max shirtless, Caroline immediately understood what was going through Lewis' mind and she had no intention of clearing his assumptions. 

"But what is he doing here?" Lewis asked as he glared at Max who glared back at him back. 

"He spent the night here," Caroline replied as she stood next to Max. "But it's none of your business."

Lewis felt a pain in his heart, like someone just stabbed him there. 

"And I know why you are here but I really don't want to talk to you Lewis," Caroline tried her best to be calm.

"You should leave," Max added as he was about to close the door. 

Lewis was quick enough to stop Max from shutting the door in his face. 

"Leave," Caroline sternly said. 

"I will," Lewis said as he looked directly in Caroline's eyes. "But before that look me in the eye and tell me the truth, did you sleep with Max last night?" He was having a hard time believing that anything remotely intimate happened between them, because that's not like Caroline. 

"Yes, I slept with Max," She replied, which was not a complete lie since they actually sleep in the same bed but she is fully aware what is going through Lewis' mind. 

Max looked at Caroline, surprised that she lied, but he didn't mind. 

"Now leave," Caroline said and looked at Max who gladly closed the door. 

Lewis was hurt but unfortunately he knew Caroline too well to realize when she was lying. A part of him feels like he deserves how Caroline is treating him but the other part is determined to prove to her that his feelings for her are genuine and what they had was real. 

***

"Do I want to know why you are shirtless?" Caroline asked as she looked at Max. 

"I umm..I spilled water on me and broke the glass," Max replied. He notices Caroline's eyes lingered on his shirtless body but she quickly looks away. 

"So that was the sound that woke me up," She went to the kitchen and looked at the mess on the floor. 

"Care.."

"I swear to god Max, if you ask me if I am okay I will make you clean this up with your bare hands," Caroline snapped. 

Max chuckled. 

"Are you okay? You know, after sleeping with me.."

"Max!"

**********

A/N: is it too much drama?

Shirtless Max in Care's house = jealous Lewis

Do you think Caroline is complicating the situation?

Lewis is not going to give up anytime soon. What do you think he should do?

Thoughts on Max and Care?

Which pair is better: Max x Care or Max x Dani from Race?